Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

One of Benjis biggest challenges is to get Toa/Tupou/Naden/Nofa up to a consistent level of defence and ball handling where they become established and complete first graders,not just ocassional try scorers.
Then theres the issue of establshing a effectives combo out of a couple of rookies and someone considered past it...
Plus getting extra effort out of our very expensive forward pack(Api excepted...worth every penny) commensurate with the top$$$$ we pay them...
And dont forget develping Bula to his full potential and avoiding 2nd season syndropme..
..and perhaps most important of all ,developing the large squad
of juniors in our top 30 into actual starting position contenders..fast as they can
Im exhausted already!!!
Agreed but that's a problem with Coaching.

If Benji focuses everywhere, he will halfbake what he focuses on.

We need Solid, not just good. I hope Benji leaves the Forward pack to Chris Heighington and that Chris can get them going. Really we have a top 8 forward pack in Klemmer, Paps, Bateman, Pole, Stefano, Blore, Twal etc. They should start performing like it.

I hope Morris and Benji really focus on the backs. You are right, it is likely to be Tupou/Toa/Naden/Nofa. Aside from Naden, these players got 5-6 tries each and we need to get that scoring up to 8-10. Naturally defense is the big question and hopefully we finally hire a tackling coach.

Will take more than fitness to win 3 back to back premierships. Of course it’s important, but let’s not pretend it’s the reason we are where we are. It may be a by-product, but it’s still because of a poorly coached squad and a circus of an administration.
Very true

One of Benjis biggest challenges is to get Toa/Tupou/Naden/Nofa up to a consistent level of defence and ball handling where they become established and complete first graders,not just ocassional try scorers.
Then theres the issue of establshing a effectives combo out of a couple of rookies and someone considered past it...
Plus getting extra effort out of our very expensive forward pack(Api excepted...worth every penny) commensurate with the top$$$$ we pay them...
And dont forget develping Bula to his full potential and avoiding 2nd season syndropme..
..and perhaps most important of all ,developing the large squad
of juniors in our top 30 into actual starting position contenders..fast as they can
Im exhausted already!!!

You've nailed it.

Things to fix:-

1. No halves with current proven NRL experience.
2. An expensive forward pack with too many players not delivering.
3. Outside backs that are at this point the worst in the comp.

Positives:-
1. Api
2. Development players/juniors coming through. Bula, Pole.Stef,Tupou,To'a, Galvin, Fainu's, Sullivan etc.

Not just those four clontarf but the entire squad of backs... We need them to be like melb where I fone goes down another slots in and the brick wall remains as strong as it is at its strongest... But you touched on that at the end

They can all tackle... But working together as a unit with a high intense level of attitude is what we need
100%

I actually liken Manly 3 years ago more then Melbourne. Manly it's a squad of backs that trust each other, play well together and turn up in defense. Someone goes down, another takes their spot and no one notices.

Melbourne it's the high intensity training and they know how to develop this. Also too it's the positioning as Cronk said "you won't believe the work Slater does in defense".

Manly, brick goes in because all the bricks fit together.

Melbourne, brick goes in because it's a brick.

Both are way better then we are at outside back defense. Hopefully with Ron Palmer gone we can get Fulton to pinch a strong phys conditioning coach.

I’ve always thought we looked unfit and weak,however this season was the first in some time where I thought we looked the part.Had a good year with injuries too.

Cohesion was one of our major issues ,as was gameplan.From all reports we spent an entire off season learning to play “attacking footy” which is fine when you have the cattle to bring it to life.But I think most Tigers fans could see our strengths,decent pack ,elite 9.
Not exactly a team you’d even attempt to play flash footy with.
In saying that we looked like we’d never trained together most games.
But back on the whole cohesion thing ,this is where Benji and Co really need to stamp some authority.Evey player needs to know what position/side they will be playing and spend a whole off season working on combinations and learning their mates game.constantly changing what side a centre,second rower or winger plays is never going to end well ,of course injuries play a major part,but spending a whole off season training in one position next to the same bloke will go a long way.

I’ve always thought we looked unfit and weak,however this season was the first in some time where I thought we looked the part.Had a good year with injuries too.

Cohesion was one of our major issues ,as was gameplan.From all reports we spent an entire off season learning to play “attacking footy” which is fine when you have the cattle to bring it to life.But I think most Tigers fans could see our strengths,decent pack ,elite 9.
Not exactly a team you’d even attempt to play flash footy with.
In saying that we looked like we’d never trained together most games.
But back on the whole cohesion thing ,this is where Benji and Co really need to stamp some authority.Evey player needs to know what position/side they will be playing and spend a whole off season working on combinations and learning their mates game.constantly changing what side a centre,second rower or winger plays is never going to end well ,of course injuries play a major part,but spending a whole off season training in one position next to the same bloke will go a long way.
The fitness has been building since Madge's tenure.
But it's been hard to notice because we have consistently put ourselves under way too much pressure either through poor game plan execution or poor handling/discipline.

Api was talking on a podcast the other day (not sure which one, the shares another podcast with Justin Horo, but I'm not sure his name), and he said that the games early last season were lost the games due to poor game management and consequently started the season poorly and went downhill from there.
He then went on to say that for the first 20 minutes you just need to kick to corners.
This is the game plan we will see this year, a heavily simplified structure and game plan with more practiced set pieces. It will be far closer to Madge's style of plan than Sheens. I think we have the pack to execute this, hopefully it give the backs enough space to perform better than they did last year. Time will tell...

The fitness has been building since Madge's tenure.
But it's been hard to notice because we have consistently put ourselves under way too much pressure either through poor game plan execution or poor handling/discipline.

Api was talking on a podcast the other day (not sure which one, the shares another podcast with Justin Horo, but I'm not sure his name), and he said that the games early last season were lost the games due to poor game management and consequently started the season poorly and went downhill from there.
He then went on to say that for the first 20 minutes you just need to kick to corners.
This is the game plan we will see this year, a heavily simplified structure and game plan with more practiced set pieces. It will be far closer to Madge's style of plan than Sheens. I think we have the pack to execute this, hopefully it give the backs enough space to perform better than they did last year. Time will tell...
I remember reading something about Api ,he was quoted saying that he took somewhat of a backwards step when he first arrived .
Hopefully he takes the reigns as soon as he returns to to training.

I’ve never seen any team in any sport but themselves under us much pressure as we do haha .

100%

I actually liken Manly 3 years ago more then Melbourne. Manly it's a squad of backs that trust each other, play well together and turn up in defense. Someone goes down, another takes their spot and no one notices.

Melbourne it's the high intensity training and they know how to develop this. Also too it's the positioning as Cronk said "you won't believe the work Slater does in defense".

Manly, brick goes in because all the bricks fit together.

Melbourne, brick goes in because it's a brick.

Both are way better then we are at outside back defense. Hopefully with Ron Palmer gone we can get Fulton to pinch a strong phys conditioning coach.
Manlys defence at times over the years has been awesome and. Inspirational.... A perfect example off attacking thru defence, relentless up in the face and dominating the Ruck constantly
I hat manly and I hated being envious of that part of their game, but it was as solid as an anvil

Tried but didn't succeed. The playing group looked particularly slothful during his nightmare.
He had no buy in.
Torture requires buy in, hopefully Benji has that.
Too many players being paid well with no accountability - hopefully most of them are gone and or find themselves now in the minority. A bit over the likes of those moving on commenting on how much fitter other teams are - no kidding. Bet they are not whining to the management about it.

Back row 2nd from the left .. Alex Lobb .. and Triston Reilly back row on the right .. look at the height size difference .. Lobb is a tower .. !!

Front row has Lachlan Gavin on the left and Josh Feledy .. these guys are in "Rookie Camp"

rookie_camp_01.jpg

Latest posts

Back