Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Is it just me, or was anyone else a little surprised/disappointed that Tristan Reilly got the flick.
Whilst it took him all season to get in the Firsts I thought there was some potential to build there, and he could certainly tackle ok.
Wonder where he might end up ?
He won't see first grade again IMO.

Bradman Best rejected us quietly quite a while ago. He was always remaining at Newcastle.

For what it’s worth - I got a text today from a friend saying that the Olam deal is done. I guess we’ll find out soon.

Blore very open to the idea of going to Melbourne. Probably will be the swap.

Melbourne originally also asked for Junior Tupou but was denied quickly by our management. Expect to see Melbourne put a bid in very soon I reckon. They like him a lot apparently.
If ever there was a club with a “type” when it comes to wingers it’s the storm .
Tall , athletic types who can dent the line .
We will have to pay overs to keep Tupou I think . The lure of the storm might be just too much to overcome with loyalty alone .

They ain't exactly banging the door down to join the tigers.

Good move for all parties.

Got a back up fullback and he's our best winger on the roster.

Some of yas will never be happy 😂
By what metric do you rate Staines our best winger? I don't see him as any worse but certainly, thus far, no better.
Having said that I don't mind his signing. It doesn't move the needle but I do think Staines in, Reilly/BWM out is an improvement to the quality and balance of our roster. Just a question of what were paying him, moreso 25 than 24, before I'd actually call it a 'good' decision.

By what metric do you rate Staines our best winger? I don't see him as any worse but certainly, thus far, no better.
Having said that I don't mind his signing. It doesn't move the needle but I do think Staines in, Reilly/BWM out is an improvement to the quality and balance of our roster. Just a question of what were paying him, moreso 25 than 24, before I'd actually call it a 'good' decision.
The other options are

Nofo - cooked
Tupou - raw

Is it just me, or was anyone else a little surprised/disappointed that Tristan Reilly got the flick.
Whilst it took him all season to get in the Firsts I thought there was some potential to build there, and he could certainly tackle ok.
Wonder where he might end up ?
I’m surprised- he’s actually a 5 8 and quite a good one. He played centre and wing for us but not his best positions.

I don't want to lose Tupou, but I'm also aware that his value might be obscured by the poor quality around him.

I know there will be a very bad narrative to losing a player like him, but there is a good line-up of young players coming through within a year to 3 years in the club. What looks like a catastrophic miss because we didn't retain a player could be due to the Galvin's, Laulili'i types coming up as well.

Olam is not a bad pickup, the style of player we've lacked for some time....hits hard and more importantly actually runs a solid line (none of our players seem to have that ability). However, if we manage to lose Blore and Tupou to the storm that would be the most typical and pathetic display of how Wests Tigers do business... Hopefully, Benji and the team won't allow this to happen. Losing two high-potential players for an aging center would be very poor, blore for Olam is fair given our depth of middles but to then lose Tupou the following year would not be acceptable.

The release of Reilly is a good one, he isn’t NRL quality, with kids coming through makes sense and gives up a spot which we needed badly. His development would need a few years and serves little point. Staines in for him is an improvement & for 2yrs also isn’t stupid long and keeps the encouragement going as he can negotiate in 12mths.

BWM moving on is also good business and gives us now a spot breathing room. He wasn’t going to get NRL time unless we were really struggling and Fainu is infront of him now anyway.

Good news day and we keep making smart decisions - someone pinch me….

Hopefully we sign that Q cup beast,
Israel Leota.

And he becomes our very own version of an elite centre.

🔥
Fingers crossed. I liked what i saw on his highlight real.
Would be great in the 2nd row in a year or two if it doesn't work out in the centres long term IMO.

I don't want to lose Tupou, but I'm also aware that his value might be obscured by the poor quality around him.

I know there will be a very bad narrative to losing a player like him, but there is a good line-up of young players coming through within a year to 3 years in the club. What looks like a catastrophic miss because we didn't retain a player could be due to the Galvin's, Laulili'i types coming up as well.

Get what you’re saying but quality wingers with size and speed are few/far between.

We have spent abit to develop him and should stick with him pending cash bids he gets.

Bradman Best is set to ink a new deal at Newcastle worth around $2m on a mega contract extension

It is understood that the Knights have discussed a three-year upgrade that will keep Best there until the end of 2026 worth an estimated $700,000 a season. This means he will be earning less per season than the Tigers have offered him.
Maybe so, but he also is contracted for next year.
Without a release he would only get paid what he is currently contracted on at the knights then his new deal in 25.
By staying at the Knights now his deal is likely to include an upgrade for this season so that his seasonal cost on the cap is lower for the next two seasons from 25.

yeah .. Nofo is the worst deal I have seen since Russell Packer
Nofo would be worth the coin he is on if he played like he did in 2020. But he doesn't. He phones it in looking to get his body through the contract without getting injured. Same as Issac Luke did at The Warriors. Only showed up when there was a contract on the line.

justin Olam 3 year deal ...signed and delivered .. !!
sorry .. i may have jumped the gun here .. my apologies .. my bad

I saw something this afternoon about Olam and a 3 year deal with us .. posted here quickly then went to copy the article and it was gone .. it was from the Mole .. but it aint there now .. lets see what happens for the next few days .. 48 hours ;-)

Last edited:
I think alot of the sideways stuff was due to the lack of structure from the inside backs.

Defensively, he has been better lately.

Can't remember when at Melbourne was he outside Olam?

Fainu and Sullivan will duke it out for the spot next to Luai (if he comes) with one winning the spot and the other either on the bench or in Cup.

Galvin’s a toughie because his future is absolutely out of the halves but he could very easily kick up a stink given who his manager is. Mason I see as a 14 in the mould of Connor Watson, but he too could crack the shits if he wants to play in the halves more permanently.
If Laui does come, it will be for 25,and Sullivan and Fainu have a whole season to establish themselves as the other halve .Doubt we need both on $500k pa going forward
Im hoping Sezer mite surprise and be our best halve in 24...will make things interesting
Cant factor Douhi in for 25 for anything other than centre..if at all
But one thing for sure..if Luai comes..he'll be first pick and the rest will sort themselves out

Back