Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@bathursttiger1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307019) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307013) said:
@pj said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1306797) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1306795) said:
Im all for Adam R and Adam D in the halves :) Would be a good senior figure in the club.

I still think Brooks at 6. Take the pressure off and just run the ball. Would suit him. Adam can go to centre

Watch that Manly game when he kicked across field accurately for Doueihi to score. He took control from Marshall and did not hesitate to step up. I admired his willingness to take responsibility.

Hopefully with Marshall gone for good now, Brooks will finally start to show his true potential.
The way that Benji yelled at his brother during the Allstars game, maybe some of our dummy halves were too scared not to give Benji the ball most of the time.

Just as it was evident some players dropped off the pace as if they’d been tapped on the shoulder, it was also noticeable that Brooks’ game went up a notch toward the end of last season. In response to getting the playmaker roll? C’mon, Brooks’ couldn’t contain it, he had a permanent grin. I think we now have a pack of honest toilers with something to prove, and some pace in the backline. Bring it on!

@pj said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1306797) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1306795) said:
Im all for Adam R and Adam D in the halves :) Would be a good senior figure in the club.

I still think Brooks at 6. Take the pressure off and just run the ball. Would suit him. Adam can go to centre

Watch that Manly game when he kicked across field accurately for Doueihi to score. He took control from Marshall and did not hesitate to step up. I admired his willingness to take responsibility.

Maybe playing with an organised half (reynolds) will relax him. He's definately got plenty of class.

@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307018) said:

Talent and skill has not been doubted by most of us. Its the willingness to be a leader that has frustrated the Tigers faithful.

@ 150 Games and years in First grade, and finally a massive forward pack there are no more excuses for Luke Brooks.

Heard that for many years pre season.

Trust me there will be excuses. There will have to be, cos no one wants That much egg on their face - least of all the club who have repeatedly doubled down on him with zero result. Paws mentioned one of the good kicks the guy put in last year. Funny thing is we all remember it. Wonder why.

Tigers should be going absolutely all out for Reynolds.
He is an organiser, excellent kicker and one of the leagues best goal kickers. What an influence he could be.
He is one of the very few class halfbacks out there.

@bigsiro said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307044) said:
He is an organiser, excellent kicker and one of the leagues best goal kickers. What an influence he could be.

He wont leave Souths, nor should he. Just agitating for more than a 1 year deal.

If AR was 28 or so I would agree but at 31 and commanding top dollar I think it would be prudent to pass.

@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307050) said:

He wont leave Souths, nor should he. Just agitating for more than a 1 year deal.

If AR was 28 or so I would agree but at 31 and commanding top dollar I think it would be prudent to pass.

I understand your logic however there aren't many organising halves in the comp and we don't have one, unless AD proves to be, but in the one game I have seen him in that position he seems to me like a dangerous/try assisting half that would slot in nicely alongside someone like Adam Reynolds. I'd take him at age, even with all the issues we have had signing old players before.

@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307059) said:

I understand your logic however there aren't many organising halves in the comp and we don't have one, unless AD proves to be, but in the one game I have seen him in that position he seems to me like a dangerous/try assisting half that would slot in nicely alongside someone like Adam Reynolds. I'd take him at age, even with all the issues we have had signing old players before.

Mate , I have to say , on what planet is brooks not an organising half ? More directly , do you actually know what that means? It’s not a billion try assists , and miracle plays . It’s marching the team down the field , controlling tempo , and getting through your sets .
That is literally what he was doing last year . To the point of giving Early ball to out of position mbye , and Luci , to get a head of steam up . It lead to really bad stats , a lack of confidence , a somehow none existent short kicking game , and generally no creativity. What you and the writer of that article in the other thread are actually asking for , is a creative half .
Of which I think most agree with you. But there is a distinction, and people need to understand it .

@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307064) said:

Mate , I have to say , on what planet is brooks not an organising half ? More directly , do you actually know what that means? It’s not a billion try assists , and miracle plays . It’s marching the team down the field , controlling tempo , and getting through your sets .
That is literally what he was doing last year . To the point of giving Early ball to out of position mbye , and Luci , to get a head of steam up . It lead to really bad stats , a lack of confidence , a somehow none existent short kicking game , and generally no creativity. What you and the writer of that article in the other thread are actually asking for , is a creative half .
Of which I think most agree with you. But there is a distinction, and people need to understand it .

On what planet? Was he really that strong at marching the team around and controlling the tempo. Really? =p

Just a suggestion for comment. Penrith now have 3 fullbacks, with Stains, Edwards, and Crichton. I know we have Laurie and i think he will be great, but as a backup or move to 5/8 we are short an aggressive fullback. Edwards was very good last year and i doubt he will get a run this year as FB. He would be a handy buy, and the panthers i doubt would now be keen to hold him.

@sleeve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307106) said:
Just a suggestion for comment. Penrith now have 3 fullbacks, with Stains, Edwards, and Crichton. I know we have Laurie and i think he will be great, but as a backup or move to 5/8 we are short an aggressive fullback. Edwards was very good last year and i doubt he will get a run this year as FB. He would be a handy buy, and the panthers i doubt would now be keen to hold him.

I would assume that Edwards will still be their fullback and that Staines will play on the wing and Crichton in the centres, same as last year.

Edwards will be their starting fullback every single week. Staines is gonna be on the wing and Crichton at centre

@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307097) said:

On what planet? Was he really that strong at marching the team around and controlling the tempo. Really? =p

He was the previous 2 and a half years . And the last 5 games after we told benji thanks but no thanks I’m not going to debate this . My point is , I see that comment all the time , I saw it last pre season prior to last season . I saw it in April . And it’s just not factually true . And I thought if the goal is to play to the posts , then that’s exactly what he did . Once again what you define as “control the team “ is not actually what it is . What your talking about is creating .
The past 5 mins of the Canterbury game in which we went down the field and he kicked it to AD to win the game , is what controlling the team is.
He was barking at the pigs and dummy half . Screaming where to position the play , and set it up perfectly for that kick , which Madge said , that they planned that exact scenario and trained for it.
That’s literally what controlling the team is .
Like setting up for a field goal the whole game .
It’s not throwing no look passes to the winger and drifting across field into the space where your centre is. That garbage gets you 17 try assists , but loses the game . There’s a reason we lost less games than previous years and it wasn’t because Luke brooks try assists were 3.
And that the storm roosters and sharks have dominated the last 10 years . It’s controlled football and field position . And attacking tired defenders .

Seriously , Michael gilllet used to control the play , and we’d win or lose 14-12 . Every singly game .
That’s literally what it means . And that’s why brooks played like garbage last year . That’s all he did . He didn’t play “eyes up” or creative football . Which is what you’re taking about .

@nelson said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307108) said:

I would assume that Edwards will still be their fullback and that Staines will play on the wing and Crichton in the centres, same as last year.

Plus he's best buddies with the prodigal son.

Chricton is a center...

The whole FB thing is just managers spinning crap..."JAC wants to be fullback!"...utter nonsense to boost their prices up.

The Dogs have signed three wingers who "want to be FBs!" in JAC, DWZ and Cotric...so, obviously the tactic works.

@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307113) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307097) said:

He was the previous 2 and a half years . And the last 5 games after we told benji thanks but no thanks I’m not going to debate this . My point is , I see that comment all the time , I saw it last pre season prior to last season . I saw it in April . And it’s just not factually true . And I thought if the goal is to play to the posts , then that’s exactly what he did . Once again what you define as “control the team “ is not actually what it is . What your talking about is creating .
The past 5 mins of the Canterbury game in which we went down the field and he kicked it to AD to win the game , is what controlling the team is.
He was barking at the pigs and dummy half . Screaming where to position the play , and set it up perfectly for that kick , which Madge said , that they planned that exact scenario and trained for it.
That’s literally what controlling the team is .
Like setting up for a field goal the whole game .
It’s not throwing no look passes to the winger and drifting across field into the space where your centre is. That garbage gets you 17 try assists , but loses the game . There’s a reason we lost less games than previous years and it wasn’t because Luke brooks try assists were 3.
And that the storm roosters and sharks have dominated the last 10 years . It’s controlled football and field position . And attacking tired defenders .

Seriously , Michael gilllet used to control the play , and we’d win or lose 14-12 . Every singly game .
That’s literally what it means . And that’s why brooks played like garbage last year . That’s all he did . He didn’t play “eyes up” or creative football . Which is what you’re taking about .

Who was playing DH at that stage of the game?

In the player profiles they have Stains at 1 and Edwards as 2nd FB, and i have no doubt that the money they would have paid Crichton was not for centre or wing. Edwards i think is to be shafted.

@sleeve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307130) said:

In the player profiles they have Stains at 1 and Edwards as 2nd FB, and i have no doubt that the money they would have paid Crichton was not for centre or wing. Edwards i think is to be shafted.

I'd be surprised. They all did well in their current positions no need to change them just for the sake of it. Edwards is their first choice fullback

Latest posts

Back