Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Anyone know much of Amone? He looks like a big fella, however I am a little skeptical seeing he has played 9 games and is 24 but that is just surface level worries that I’m sure could be eased with those that may have insight on him. Also seen he was released by souths in November so has been on market for a while without much talk around town. Again, happy to be educated on the matter by those with more knowledge of the situation. Cheers

@the_pom said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307165) said:
Tigers have signed Tom Amone effective immediately.

Finally my wish comes true. Been wanting him for a season or two. Cheers Pom.

@phil1986 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307166) said:
Tigers have signed Tom Amone effective immediately

Thanks mate.

I thought we were looking for backrowers But there must be a reason.

Nugget of a man, hard to stop close to the line.

Big Boy![Screenshot_20210224-210301_Samsung Internet.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1614164658404-screenshot_20210224-210301_samsung-internet.jpg)
Sorry for that filthy souths rag he is wearing
Please don't ban me

@watersider said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307139) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307113) said:
Seriously , Michael gilllet used to control the play , and we’d win or lose 14-12 . Every singly game .
That’s literally what it means . And that’s why brooks played like garbage last year . That’s all he did . He didn’t play “eyes up” or creative football . Which is what you’re taking about .

Michael Gillet was one of my favourite players, but he had one good season and was rubbish after that. We lost a lot more of those game than we won, and we never made the finals with him there so not sure what the point of the comparison is (two players who both play halves and don't take their team to the finals?).

Michael Gillet was one of my faves back in the day, that comparison hurts feels like I’m in some sort of never ending vicious cycle which was briefly interrupted by 2005.

@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307180) said:
@phil1986 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307166) said:
Tigers have signed Tom Amone effective immediately

Thanks mate.

I thought we were looking for backrowers But there must be a reason.

Nugget of a man, hard to stop close to the line.

Big Boy![Screenshot_20210224-210301_Samsung Internet.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1614164658404-screenshot_20210224-210301_samsung-internet.jpg)
Sorry for that filthy souths rag he is wearing
Please don't ban me

Forgiveness applies until he gets in WT training gear or jersey.

@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307018) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307013) said:
I still think Brooks at 6. Take the pressure off and just run the ball. Would suit him. Adam can go to centre

Watch that Manly game when he kicked across field accurately for Doueihi to score. He took control from Marshall and did not hesitate to step up. I admired his willingness to take responsibility.

Talent and skill has not been doubted by most of us. Its the willingness to be a leader that has frustrated the Tigers faithful.

@ 150 Games and years in First grade, and finally a massive forward pack there are no more excuses for Luke Brooks.

Don't think he has ever used one.

@shooter-mcgavin said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307178) said:
Anyone know much of Amone? He looks like a big fella, however I am a little skeptical seeing he has played 9 games and is 24 but that is just surface level worries that I’m sure could be eased with those that may have insight on him. Also seen he was released by souths in November so has been on market for a while without much talk around town. Again, happy to be educated on the matter by those with more knowledge of the situation. Cheers

Dominant in NSW Cup with a big motor. Dents the line and runs hard. Tevita Tatola is the best comparison however, injury last year the question mark. Solid bench player probably spells the end of Packer in first grade.
We have depth upfront when fit Musgrove, Tamou, Ofehengaue, Twal, Utoikamanu, Amone, Packer.

That’s too many props in one roster and I wouldn’t be surprised if we let Packer go early to free up a spot closer to June 30 or earlier.

Guess Rodwell hasn’t been considered. Wonder if he gets included in top grade for this weeks trial.

@tyga said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307190) said:

Dominant in NSW Cup with a big motor. Dents the line and runs hard. Tevita Tatola is the best comparison however, injury last year the question mark. Solid bench player probably spells the end of Packer in first grade.
We have depth upfront when fit Musgrove, Tamou, Ofehengaue, Twal, Utoikamanu, Amone, Packer.

That’s too many props in one roster and I wouldn’t be surprised if we let Packer go early to free up a spot closer to June 30 or earlier.

Wow how different is our forward pack in 2021 compared to the previous years...Brooks should be licking his chops with all the space and drive these guys should be giving him`````````````````````````````

@tigerap said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307197) said:
@tyga said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307190) said:

Wow how different is our forward pack in 2021 compared to the previous years...Brooks should be licking his chops with all the space and drive these guys should be giving him`````````````````````````````

especially when Blore and Musgrove comeback

I’ve read a few articles about Benji saying “bad pass” towards Damien Cook, or yelling at his brother in the All Stars game to “pass him the ball when he wants it”.

I’m glad Benji is gone, countless times he thinks he can take it on himself, but he forgets it’s a team sport.

Any person new to a team, or league that watched Benji throughout their life would feel “happy” or “obliged” to pass it to him because it’s “Benji”.

An example of this is Harry Grant passing it to Benji every single time, even tho you had Brooks there screaming out for the ball so many times, I know for a fact if I was in a team without a pre-season and slotted in, I would pass it to the old buck…

Either way - it’s Brooks year and I know by looking at Liddle and the way he acts, will be that he passes quick out from DH to Brooks ALL the time.

Maybe he needs the Nathan Cleary effect where he needs to touch the ball atleast once every set to get a feel of the ball and feel like HES in charge.

Re-posting, needs to be said, has a “swear” word in there - refers to the title of the article

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-benji-marshall-sprays-damien-cook-passes-out-of-dummy-half-south-sydney-rabbitohs-wayne-bennett/news-story/89574bae4cd5a5dc8068bdd61505da3e

If we were interested in him, and he was uncontracted, why didn't we have him on a train and trial deal?

Why have Eden Smith training and trialling well only to overlook him for someone we haven't seen first hand.

All for a position we have more cover than anywhere else on the field. Doesn't make a lot of sense

@will1999 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307202) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307200) said:
Who's this Aloiai bloke people have mentioned

who's Aloiai?

That's what I'm asking
Who is he
A myth ?

@isaaktigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307199) said:
I’ve read a few articles about Benji saying “bad pass” towards Damien Cook, or yelling at his brother in the All Stars game to “pass him the ball when he wants it”.

I’m glad Benji is gone, countless times he thinks he can take it on himself, but he forgets it’s a team sport.

Any person new to a team, or league that watched Benji throughout their life would feel “happy” or “obliged” to pass it to him because it’s “Benji”.

An example of this is Harry Grant passing it to Benji every single time, even tho you had Brooks there screaming out for the ball so many times, I know for a fact if I was in a team without a pre-season and slotted in, I would pass it to the old buck…

Either way - it’s Brooks year and I know by looking at Liddle and the way he acts, will be that he passes quick out from DH to Brooks ALL the time.

Maybe he needs the Nathan Cleary effect where he needs to touch the ball atleast once every set to get a feel of the ball and feel like HES in charge.

Re-posting, needs to be said, has a “swear” word in there - refers to the title of the article

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-benji-marshall-sprays-damien-cook-passes-out-of-dummy-half-south-sydney-rabbitohs-wayne-bennett/news-story/89574bae4cd5a5dc8068bdd61505da3e

Benji comes across as a bleephead in that article. A lot of people are seeing it as "older player ensuring high standards are maintained". From my point of view, he is setting a negative tone in the team and also setting standards he can't keep himself. Of course when he messes up, very few will have the balls to have a go at him. He knows this.

It's like in cricket if a young bowler bowled a legside wide then had Adam Gilchrist spray him. The bowler knows he bowled a bad ball. He didn't mean to. You achieve nothing by going at him. Only thing that can happen is decreased confidence. That bowler isn't going to bite back at GIlchrist, he's a legend. Of course please don't take this as me comparing Benji to Gilchrist. Gilly was a great bloke.

@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307203) said:

If we were interested in him, and he was uncontracted, why didn't we have him on a train and trial deal?

Why have Eden Smith training and trialling well only to overlook him for someone we haven't seen first hand.

All for a position we have more cover than anywhere else on the field. Doesn't make a lot of sense

We all know Maguire likes his big men to lead from the front
Loosing Blore and Musgrove already has lightened us up front
Maguire doesn't want to take any chances
He wants our pack to dominate
If Amone does come then we have alot of big forwards to cover suspension and Injury
Question is now with two spots left, what position and who are we looking at
I still like Fitzgibbon
A bit raw but I think we'll worth the gamble
Last spot can wait a little

@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307208) said:
@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307203) said:

We all know Maguire likes his big men to lead from the front
Loosing Blore and Musgrove already has lightened us up front
Maguire doesn't want to take any chances
He wants our pack to dominate
If Amone does come then we have alot of big forwards to cover suspension and Injury
Question is now with two spots left, what position and who are we looking at
I still like Fitzgibbon
A bit raw but I think we'll worth the gamble
Last spot can wait a little

Case in point Tuki and Stefano, both were hitting like trucks on Saturday like they wanted to hurt the opposition. I think Madge will expect physicality from the get go, we might not win every game but each team we play will feel sore and sorry the next day

@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307129) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307113) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307097) said:
@strongee said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307064) said:
@jayt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307059) said:
@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307050) said:
@bigsiro said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1307044) said:
Tigers should be going absolutely all out for Reynolds.
He is an organiser, excellent kicker and one of the leagues best goal kickers. What an influence he could be.
He is one of the very few class halfbacks out there.

He wont leave Souths, nor should he. Just agitating for more than a 1 year deal.

If AR was 28 or so I would agree but at 31 and commanding top dollar I think it would be prudent to pass.

I understand your logic however there aren't many organising halves in the comp and we don't have one, unless AD proves to be, but in the one game I have seen him in that position he seems to me like a dangerous/try assisting half that would slot in nicely alongside someone like Adam Reynolds. I'd take him at age, even with all the issues we have had signing old players before.

Mate , I have to say , on what planet is brooks not an organising half ? More directly , do you actually know what that means? It’s not a billion try assists , and miracle plays . It’s marching the team down the field , controlling tempo , and getting through your sets .
That is literally what he was doing last year . To the point of giving Early ball to out of position mbye , and Luci , to get a head of steam up . It lead to really bad stats , a lack of confidence , a somehow none existent short kicking game , and generally no creativity. What you and the writer of that article in the other thread are actually asking for , is a creative half .
Of which I think most agree with you. But there is a distinction, and people need to understand it .

On what planet? Was he really that strong at marching the team around and controlling the tempo. Really? =p

He was the previous 2 and a half years . And the last 5 games after we told benji thanks but no thanks I’m not going to debate this . My point is , I see that comment all the time , I saw it last pre season prior to last season . I saw it in April . And it’s just not factually true . And I thought if the goal is to play to the posts , then that’s exactly what he did . Once again what you define as “control the team “ is not actually what it is . What your talking about is creating .
The past 5 mins of the Canterbury game in which we went down the field and he kicked it to AD to win the game , is what controlling the team is.
He was barking at the pigs and dummy half . Screaming where to position the play , and set it up perfectly for that kick , which Madge said , that they planned that exact scenario and trained for it.
That’s literally what controlling the team is .
Like setting up for a field goal the whole game .
It’s not throwing no look passes to the winger and drifting across field into the space where your centre is. That garbage gets you 17 try assists , but loses the game . There’s a reason we lost less games than previous years and it wasn’t because Luke brooks try assists were 3.
And that the storm roosters and sharks have dominated the last 10 years . It’s controlled football and field position . And attacking tired defenders .

Seriously , Michael gilllet used to control the play , and we’d win or lose 14-12 . Every singly game .
That’s literally what it means . And that’s why brooks played like garbage last year . That’s all he did . He didn’t play “eyes up” or creative football . Which is what you’re taking about .

Who was playing DH at that stage of the game?

Exactly

Back