Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@goanna57 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395626) said:
@tigervinnie said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395615) said:
@f-o-s-0 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395595) said:
We can all agree the weekend was not acceptable but why are we getting the crap kicked out of us but nothing about the titans?
The sea-eagles scored 48 points in 1 half more than the storm scored on us.
The titans are meant to be a top 4 side compare their team to ours,
phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tino-faasuamaleaui QLD Rep/Aus Rep
david-fifita QLD Rep/Aus Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

because "hAve yOu sEEn hoW mAnY pLayErs the TiGeRs lEt gO?"

We have always been a media clickbait, easy to kick a dog whilst its down. Media (fox league especially) wanted a cinderalla story with Gold Coast based on all they invested with the documentary, so not mentioning they have been just as terrible as us - is just pulling cotton wool over their eyes. Instead it's easier to shift to another 'journo' going through the list of players we let go, with a tone of voice as if they just discovered it

Mate the truth is no one has been as terrible as us over a ten year period. As a club we continue to have massive problems,ground hog day for ten years is it any wonder we get bashed in the media,we just keep asking for it

Agreed.
We should be one of the most popular clubs in the comp tbh.

Great logo, great jerseys, great colour scheme, great mascot...
A player like Benji who inspired 1000s of kids.
Not many scandals like other clubs.
Melbourne - salary cap drama.
Bulldogs - sexual assault allegations
Sharks - PEDs/peptide scandal
Roosters - suspected salary cap rorts for years.

We are relatively clean in comparison to the other clubs yet we're not competitive on field and with results.

I think the NRL needs to step in... there's no reason we should've been disadvantaged for years because of Ivan's recruitment and previous mismanagements.

We have single handedly the best fan forum amongst all the teams. (Thanks @Kul )

People that like other teams most of the time rate us as their second favourite team or "second team"...

It's beneficial to ALL, NRL included if we're successful. Hopefully it can all come together on the field so we can move on from this "9th place losers" tag or 66-16 beatings, etc. And become the powerhouse club we deserve to be...

@TheDaBoss is about to get his P plates and wants to drive his new car with pride.
![images (75).jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1624326754262-images-75.jpeg)

GO THE TIGERS !!
?

@tony-soprano said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395630) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395621) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395598) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395594) said:
@yeahcaz said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395592) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395582) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395574) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395569) said:
Morris never impressed me as a coach. He definitely got booted too soon but they could've done better than they did under him. 6 wins out of 20 games last year is not overly impressive

Flanagan is the most proven head coach but he's the cause of a lot of drama and hasn't coached in a while. Realistically we would have to look at elite assistant coaches who want the opportunity of coaching first grade but why sacrifice your career by coming here? Our options for a coach are very slim if we look to replace Madge.

Last year he was 10 wins 10 losses. Made the top 8.

True, for some reason the ladder I was looking at wasn't showing the full seasons results - I still don't think sharks were a great team though. Not saying we shouldn't have a go at him, he'd make a really good assistant too if that's an option but they had a really easy draw and never beat anyone of note really and had a pretty good squad.

I think the fact there's no great coaches available will keep Madge around for next year, maybe not the whole season but at least for the start.

But that could cause major issues as Madge has a lot of cap space to work with at the start of the season. If you let him pick a bunch of players and then he gets sacked halfway through, the next coach is stuck with players Maguire has signed to long term deals that the next manager might not want

If hartigan has the final word on recruitment that will solve the issue - he won't be getting sacked along with Madge so he can decide whether a signing will benefit the future of the club regardless of coach. Hartigan seems a good judge of what the club needs and won't pay overs or sign anyone on overly long deals.

You think so I think the players have been duds

If you look at the players we've signed after hartigan got here I'd argue most of them are pretty good, albeit most of them very young.

I’m starting to think hartigan been another dud Pascoe signing

Nah Hartigan is one of the good ones imo.

@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395572) said:
@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395558) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395556) said:
@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395554) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395552) said:
@hsvjones said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395536) said:
I just watched this 6min clip on NRL on Nine 100% footy and just makes me feel sick..
(The insane Premiership-winning team that deserted the tigers is what the article is called)
Gallen and Gus were the main talkers and just listening to them basically say we are the most least preferred club to players and we are in a world of pain... But I can only agree with them because its true... hard to say but it's true.
Our roster is bog average and we CANNOT attract quality players like every other club so something has to change and change urgently.

I understand we are building from the ground up and foundations have been set but at the end of the day a footy club is based on on field results and we clearly lack them.

If the perception is no one wants to come here what do we do to change this as it is a MASSIVE problem.. Even the 2 teams below us on the ladder can attract Top Line players.. I have been on board with Madge and co for a while now but when you hear straight from Ex-players mouths that no one wants to come here, you need to take notice as they are not gaining anything out of there comments.

Do we change coaches ?
Do we buy let Sheens take over recruitment?
Do we need to replace some of the top dogs?

IDK but we sure need some positive news ASAP. :man-shrugging:

Although the board are one of the main issues, they can't be removed. We are pretty much at rock bottom and the only way forward imo is a thorough clean out.

Who remains?

Hartigan is a must keep. I feel like Hartigan is Billy Beane in Moneyball. Putting the best team together he can but getting screwed over by the A's managers selections and game plan.
Sheens will be crucial to any chance we have in success

Of the players? Doueihi, Laurie, Stefano, Simpkin, Seyfarth form a core of young players who seem to give a crap that we can build around. They stay

Who goes?
Pascoe has to go. Tiny profits aside, he's a dud.
Madge obviously. He's a dud.
All players not mentioned above.

Bring on a CEO with some gravitas, and bring on a coach and a bunch of good assistants who understand rugby league in 2021.

Completely agree but what coach is available that can help us ? Morris? The worst part for us is in theory it’s an easy fix but to actually make it happen is damn near impossible hence the reason we still have madge and Pascoe and a big average playing group

I believe John Morris and Sheens together would see an almost immediate improvement.

Do u see Morris wanting to come here and ruin whatever respect he has in the coaching world though that’s the big question! I strongly believe we can become a great club but not a lot of coaches/players want to come and ruin there careers. It’s hard to admit that this club I’ve loved forever is in a position where I can truly say we are in all sorts but it’s true. Jesus himself would struggle to get us out of the rut we have been in for the past 10 years!!

I think Morris would come here for sure. He knows Sheens, and I believe they'd work well together. It would be worth asking the question.

Only because he has nowhere else to go

@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395509) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395489) said:
@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395469) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395462) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395460) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395459) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395433) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395390) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395383) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395316) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395310) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395194) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395183) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395044) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395014) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394780) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394772) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394747) said:
@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394744) said:
@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394719) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394704) said:
@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394695) said:
@supercoach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394650) said:
@gregjm87 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394604) said:
@supercoach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394603) said:
@gregjm87 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394585) said:
@gallagher said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394544) said:
@earl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394542) said:
@gallagher said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394523) said:
@earl said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394513) said:
@yeahcaz said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1394501) said:
Why would anyone want to sign here ? Genuine question.

To play first grade and win the comp. It can be turned around pretty easily with quality players. If I was a quality player it'd be really easy for me to sign up to the Tigers. If my son was a quality player I'd push him to sign with the Tigers.

Really? What would draw you to us?

Pretty simple - playing first grade and winning the comp. What is wrong with that ? Honestly I don't see any valid counter argument.

But if other clubs want you aswell? I can see players come here if it's their only choice but that's no choice at all.

agree, its not just an issue for our club but competition wide.
Why are the Storm, Roosters consistently at the top? They get the choice of the elite young talent because those young players know they are walking straight into a strong team. They then also then get their pick of the talent who have been around a while but never won anything as they want to go to a strong team for a shot at a title. Finally, they can generally keep their top players because they have been successful at that club they feel a sense of belonging there.

The lower teams however need to pay massive overs to attract talent. But they are then instantly disadvantaged as their salary cap is now disproportional and can not sign enough elite talent to field a strong team. So they continue to underperform and remain a lower team.

Been saying it for years, the salary cap disadvantages the lower teams because they have to pay overs so the get less bang for their cap

got any solutions?

I have but I have been down this track a million times on this forum and others…basically every club is given 1000 points and every player no matter what you pay them is graded by some means..ie Australian rep,SOO rep, 200 gamer,first year rookie. So all your 30 players are given a grade by the NRL and have to fit within the 1000 points. That ensures you have a level playing field, because at present the playing field is not flat. It would stop teams getting advantages out of TPAs. Anyway not worth debating, because it will not happen. The NRL is controlled by people with self interests

100% correct. I'd expand on that by making it a dollar value and the market would set the rate, so if one club offers x, another can't offer y and use the old "they want to come here to win a comp so they took less".
I'd also make the initial rookie contract at a club the value of that player until that player decides to go elsewhere, so, for example, Alex Seyfarth would always be valued on the WT cap as say $250k, no matter what WT are actually paying him, but if he chose to leave he would be valued at his new club at market rate. That would encourage clubs to either develop their juniors or scout them very early, rather than just buy the guts out of poorer clubs.
I know this means a club with plenty of good juniors would be actually paying way over the agreed value of their roster, or the salary cap, but the better roster should also attract better sponsorship and TPA's.

I can't agree with that either, players deserve a say in where they play and if they want to take less to play for a team I wouldn't want to prevent that.

I do believe there should be salary cap concessions for long term and developed players larger than there is now but keeping them at their rookie levels goes too far the other way.

Yep, sorry, I'll clarify:
Players can choose to take less but they should be allocated a true market value as their cost to the clubs cap, otherwise the Roosters still end up with everyone.
I know the rookie contract bit is a bit of a reach, but you get my drift on rewarding junior development and discouraging raiding. Maybe a maximum value of 500k?
If Teddy was going to be a salary cap cost of, say $800k to the Roosters, along with Luke Keary at $800k, JWH at $500, Cooper Cronk $1m, Angus Chricton $800, there's 40% of their cap gone on 5 players. They've got to start pulling their heads in rather than chasing someone else's gun edge to replace Boyd Cordner.

Why can't it be looked at like this
Use a rating system for the top players in each position across all clubs
Eg the 16 starting fullbacks get rated by there peers and get a ranking from 1 to 16
Tedesco gets a 1 Trbojevic a 2 Papenhuyzen a 3 and so on
In the end when you add up all the scores your players receive your team is given a score
If you had the best 13 players in each position you would have a score of 16
If you have the worst players in each position you would have a score of 208
If every team had an even distribution of quality players the average score per team would be around 104 points
That is what the league should be trying to achieve
It takes the $ out of the equation so it doesn't matter if a team tries to cheat the cap
It won't work
The points a player receives is purely based on their peers and maybe some statistical or expert opinions
You would find it hard to argue against that system although some teams may not like it
If you exceed your points then you should be made to release a player or two to get it back in line with and acceptable average plus or minus 5%
Now in saying all of that, if a team was in excess of the average points score, they should not be allowed to sign a player that increases their average score
So someone like Brandon Smith would not be allowed to go to someone like the Roosters unless they were in the points position to do so

This system would eventually even the playing field
It should also not deprive a player from his earnings

Also players who play all their junior football at the one club and get developed by that club could receive some kind of points relief while at the same club

You could also have another points system for the next best 13 players at each club to stop the stock piling
This would force the talent to spread across all clubs

So when would these evaluations of players occur?

It would occur at the end of each season
The club would then have 12 months to shed enough players / Points
People will always come up with excuses as to why it shouldn't happen but that's just what they are, excuses
If teams can manage their cap
Then they can manage a points system like this

So they may have to drop players mid contract that they turned into better players?

Those things would have to be worked out
But every year a number of players come off contract
Say you have 7 players coming off contract and their points tally was 50
You may need to fill those 7 positions with say 70 points otherwise you won't fit within the allocated points system
The better the player the lower the point they carry

It's really not to different from players being forced out of a club because of cap constraints due to a club being successful

These things happen
So look at Penrith for example
They have had to release Hetherington, Tetevano, Tamou, Laurie, Mansour, Dean Whare all last year because of cap constraints
Adding a points system to your players would even up the competition
If it doesn't happen we may as well give up because the competition will never be even
We will continue to have lop sided scores
No of us want that
How many people are turning off early or walking out of games early
Something is wrong with the way this is all working out at the moment

Horse racing has weight handicaps is that fair ?
Golf can have handicaps
Drag racing has time handicaps
All these things don't seem fair, but they work to even up the competition

Its completely different as their valuation could completely change mid contract.

Just because one players value increases doesn't mean they all do
Some players values will fall creating space
If a players value increases it doesn't mean you off load him
What it means is the players who are off contract may need to be replaced with a player of lesser value
I guess I am talking of situations like when Roosters signed Cronk and Teddy
They already had a very strong team full of origin and Australian and international players
All of a sudden they sign two more of the best players available
That needs to stop or this game and many clubs will be ruined
How many of us will continue to follow the Tigers in 10 to 15 years if we continue to get flogged and miss the 8
Many of us will walk away from following the game

Yeah and what if the ones that increase are the ones you have on contract and the ones that decrease are the ones coming off contract, it would decimate a team and they may not be able to sign players to replace the off contract players. I think it would be a terrible system and would much prefer what we have now with centralised contracts and payments.

And that won't work when players want to go to strong clubs and take understand to do so
It's easy to come up with reasons why the system shouldn't change or to find holes in someone's Suggestions
All I know is the current system is not working and there needs to be a fix
Or we might as well have two conferences and be done with it

If you don't point out holes in someone's suggestions then you end up in a worst place than we are now. I do not think a points based system is better than what we currently have.

At the moment the cap isn't working because of players willing to take unders to go to a stronger club
They may also get other un reported benefits

By introducing a system that evens the playing field on the ability of players at each club, you will end up with a much more even competition and much closer games then those we currently have
It also takes out getting paid unders and un reported benefits out of the equation

An even competition will keep all supporters interested in watching the full game and not turn off at half time because that is what is happening now

Centralised payments through the Nrl won't achieve an even playing field when players are willing to take unders

The whole idea of the cap was to even the competition and make it a closer competition That has clearly not worked and never will

A point system will not work, it is too subjective and punishing a team mid contract for a player improving is counter productive.

Ok then
Let's say Penrith win the competition and they have 7 players off contract at the end of the season
Because they win the comp the seven players value is likely to increase and they all want a contract upgrade
But the cap restricts that from happening so Penrith need to release players to stay under the cap
Is that not counter productive and punishing a team

Having to manage your cap to fit in players under your allowance or having to manage your points in which you have to fit players within your allowance both result in clubs needing to release players
One of them is determined by $
The other by the talent in your team
Either way players are forced out of clubs

How do they replace those players when the 23 left all have increases to their points as well?

Sorry to jump in. Rookies would be on lower points and would need to come in to fill the gaps left by players on higher points. It’s a system used in various Park football comps. It will never get signed off by god, sorry, Nick.

It's a rubbish system and far too subjective. All it will lead to his complaints about player valuations.

This…

Plus, you would have to layer the points system over the salary cap…what a nightmare.

People only look at the top end of town, but we have players playing for us well under what other clubs would pay for them now like Daine Laurie.

Even centralised contracts won’t stop under the table payments unless the NRL mandates that a player must go to the highest bidder. Probably falls under restraint of trade though.

If equalisation is the end game, and I’m not in favour of it, you would simply mandate that teams can only field a max of, say 3 origin players and 3 top tier internationals (NZ, AUS, GB) or some variation of that. That would force teams to restructure their rosters, but it also means lots of cattle trading every year. Depends what the objectives are I guess.

That would just mean the top teams stock up in the best pacific islander talent and would disadvantage players from the top tier internationals

Exactly...you and I agree....the cap, while imperfect, is the most perfect of the alternatives.

You may as well just get rid of the cap
Because as it stands it ain't working and we all know it's been rorted
And if a club goes broke then to bad
Someone else will by the licence

Now you can't tell me players are taking 2,3,4 or even $500'000 less to play on a strong team
Would anyone on here give that kind of money up
I sure as hell wouldn't
What was it that LM was offered to come to us
And he signed with souths for how much
The cap is useless and it is not having the desired affect
So allow players earn as much as they can outside the cap
If Nick wants to throw an extra $500'000 of his own $ at a player then so be it

@balmain-boy said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395634) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395402) said:
Young fella coming up called Ryan Couchman. Give him a couple of years I reckon you’ll know him.

But he doesn't play for us

Think of it as a signing suggestion

@tcat said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395643) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395572) said:
@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395558) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395556) said:
@carltonleach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395554) said:
I just watched this 6min clip on NRL on Nine 100% footy and just makes me feel sick..
(The insane Premiership-winning team that deserted the tigers is what the article is called)
Gallen and Gus were the main talkers and just listening to them basically say we are the most least preferred club to players and we are in a world of pain... But I can only agree with them because its true... hard to say but it's true.
Our roster is bog average and we CANNOT attract quality players like every other club so something has to change and change urgently.

I understand we are building from the ground up and foundations have been set but at the end of the day a footy club is based on on field results and we clearly lack them.

If the perception is no one wants to come here what do we do to change this as it is a MASSIVE problem.. Even the 2 teams below us on the ladder can attract Top Line players.. I have been on board with Madge and co for a while now but when you hear straight from Ex-players mouths that no one wants to come here, you need to take notice as they are not gaining anything out of there comments.

Do we change coaches ?

Although the board are one of the main issues, they can't be removed. We are pretty much at rock bottom and the only way forward imo is a thorough clean out.

Who remains?

Hartigan is a must keep. I feel like Hartigan is Billy Beane in Moneyball. Putting the best team together he can but getting screwed over by the A's managers selections and game plan.

Of the players? Doueihi, Laurie, Stefano, Simpkin, Seyfarth form a core of young players who seem to give a crap that we can build around. They stay

Who goes?

Bring on a CEO with some gravitas, and bring on a coach and a bunch of good assistants who understand rugby league in 2021.

Completely agree but what coach is available that can help us ? Morris? The worst part for us is in theory it’s an easy fix but to actually make it happen is damn near impossible hence the reason we still have madge and Pascoe and a big average playing group

I believe John Morris and Sheens together would see an almost immediate improvement.

Do u see Morris wanting to come here and ruin whatever respect he has in the coaching world though that’s the big question! I strongly believe we can become a great club but not a lot of coaches/players want to come and ruin there careers. It’s hard to admit that this club I’ve loved forever is in a position where I can truly say we are in all sorts but it’s true. Jesus himself would struggle to get us out of the rut we have been in for the past 10 years!!

I think Morris would come here for sure. He knows Sheens, and I believe they'd work well together. It would be worth asking the question.

Only because he has nowhere else to go

He's one of ours though.

Seems to be a well liked guy by the players and can get results on the field with the sharks, which aren't that amazing of a team list.

I reckon we need players like Farah and Morris.... I know Halatau is busy busy his job with the NRL but he'd be good too. Sam's as Rowdy.

I woulda loved to see what Payten coulda done with our boys.

@spartan117 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395628) said:
The Weekend against the best club of the last Decade + was heartbreaking...

The failures of this club have been over decade in the making.

Attitude
Talent and Skills
Club perception by non Tigers fans

This impacts our Recruitment and retention.

Madge/Hartigan/ Lee H are doing great to turn this ship around. Sheens and Noddy will help.

We need to Hold our Nerve and be patient.

The CEO is into year 6 I think. Give him another 2000 days? What’s his freight?

@demps said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395635) said:
@goanna57 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395626) said:
@tigervinnie said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395615) said:
@f-o-s-0 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395595) said:
We can all agree the weekend was not acceptable but why are we getting the crap kicked out of us but nothing about the titans?
The sea-eagles scored 48 points in 1 half more than the storm scored on us.
The titans are meant to be a top 4 side compare their team to ours,
phillip-sami QLD Rep
jarrod-wallace QLD Rep
tino-faasuamaleaui QLD Rep/Aus Rep
david-fifita QLD Rep/Aus Rep
tyrone-peachey NSW Rep
moeaki-fotuaika QLD Rep

because "hAve yOu sEEn hoW mAnY pLayErs the TiGeRs lEt gO?"

We have always been a media clickbait, easy to kick a dog whilst its down. Media (fox league especially) wanted a cinderalla story with Gold Coast based on all they invested with the documentary, so not mentioning they have been just as terrible as us - is just pulling cotton wool over their eyes. Instead it's easier to shift to another 'journo' going through the list of players we let go, with a tone of voice as if they just discovered it

Mate the truth is no one has been as terrible as us over a ten year period. As a club we continue to have massive problems,ground hog day for ten years is it any wonder we get bashed in the media,we just keep asking for it

Agreed.
We should be one of the most popular clubs in the comp tbh.

Great logo, great jerseys, great colour scheme, great mascot...
A player like Benji who inspired 1000s of kids.
Not many scandals like other clubs.
Melbourne - salary cap drama.
Bulldogs - sexual assault allegations
Sharks - PEDs/peptide scandal
Roosters - suspected salary cap rorts for years.

We are relatively clean in comparison to the other clubs yet we're not competitive on field and with results.

I think the NRL needs to step in... there's no reason we should've been disadvantaged for years because of Ivan's recruitment and previous mismanagements.

We have single handedly the best fan forum amongst all the teams. (Thanks @Kul )

People that like other teams most of the time rate us as their second favourite team or "second team"...

It's beneficial to ALL, NRL included if we're successful. Hopefully it can all come together on the field so we can move on from this "9th place losers" tag or 66-16 beatings, etc. And become the powerhouse club we deserve to be...

@TheDaBoss is about to get his P plates and wants to drive his new car with pride.
![images (75).jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1624326754262-images-75.jpeg)

GO THE TIGERS !!
?

What the hell is that

Morris never impressed me as a coach. He definitely got booted too soon but they could've done better than they did under him. 6 wins out of 20 games last year is not overly impressive

Flanagan is the most proven head coach but he's the cause of a lot of drama and hasn't coached in a while. Realistically we would have to look at elite assistant coaches who want the opportunity of coaching first grade but why sacrifice your career by coming here? Our options for a coach are very slim if we look to replace Madge.

True, for some reason the ladder I was looking at wasn't showing the full seasons results - I still don't think sharks were a great team though. Not saying we shouldn't have a go at him, he'd make a really good assistant too if that's an option but they had a really easy draw and never beat anyone of note really and had a pretty good squad.

I think the fact there's no great coaches available will keep Madge around for next year, maybe not the whole season but at least for the start.

But that could cause major issues as Madge has a lot of cap space to work with at the start of the season. If you let him pick a bunch of players and then he gets sacked halfway through, the next coach is stuck with players Maguire has signed to long term deals that the next manager might not want

If hartigan has the final word on recruitment that will solve the issue - he won't be getting sacked along with Madge so he can decide whether a signing will benefit the future of the club regardless of coach. Hartigan seems a good judge of what the club needs and won't pay overs or sign anyone on overly long deals.

If you look at the players we've signed after hartigan got here I'd argue most of them are pretty good, albeit most of them very young.

Kepaoa - from his old club - FAIL
BJ - rumoured 650K - FAIL
Jet - FAIL
Luciano - positive start but ultimately FAIL
Tamou - some would say FAIL
Re-signing Nof - lots would say FAIL
Re-signing Lids - on current form FAIL

Then there’s the top line guys who’ve brushed us. He’s no messiah that’s for sure.

@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395654) said:

Jet - FAIL

Then there’s the top line guys who’ve brushed us. He’s no messiah that’s for sure.

Douihei - success
Oli G - low expectations
Jackson Hastings - Hopeful

2022, Lesgooooo!

Agree with ya tho.

@zach said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395632) said:
Man, why are so many of you bandwagoning the mentality that this club would "kill" a career all of a sudden? stop.

Coaches, experienced or not, elite or not, would kill to come here and try their hand to get us out of this 10year dump. OK, maybe not the likes of well established coaches like Bellamy or Trent, why would they of course.

But this club is desirable. It has an insane amount of potential, history, wealth, and a flourishing junior/scouting system improving every season.

IMO, what we need, is a coach with flair and character. Someone who shoots from the hip and is some what of a maverick. Someone who isnt afraid to ruffle feathers on a player level, but on a board level too. I would love that. As much as i admire madge for what hes done in his career, i actually think we need someone to disrupt the way we all think this club is, if that makes sense.

Todd payten

Jet - FAIL

Not to mention:

Amone, Musgrove, Offa

Been very underwhelming.

@demps said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395657) said:

Jet - FAIL

Douihei - success
Oli G - low expectations
Jackson Hastings - Hopeful

2022, Lesgooooo!

Agree with ya tho.

I hope Tim Sheens comes in swinging

@demps said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395659) said:

Jet - FAIL

Not to mention:

Amone, Musgrove, Offa

Been very underwhelming.

Forgot about Musgrove, I tend to hang that one on Madge. And I support Madge.

Joe O has been going ok.

@yeahcaz said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395546) said:

Do we change coaches ?

As much as I dislike him, buzz makes the same point on 360 everytime others say “oh it’s just the players”

Madge has been NZ coach since before he came to us and so far that’s only helped us get one player who’s literally been pushed out of their current club. He has absolutely no pull power at the moment. Craig Fitzgibbon isn’t even a first grade coach yet and he’s already convinced nicho hynes to sign long term as well get talented youngsters in Kennedy, rudolf and talakai to re sign long term.

I have been saying this for 2 years, the good players don't want to play for Madge, it was reinforced on 100% footy, from 2 seperate sources, Gallen and Carayannis, yet I get called a hater for stating it.
If our side was improving, or at least look like improving I would cop Madge as coach, but none of this is happening

Our recruitment this year , and for next has not been bad.
TT, JTJ, JL,Mbye, Packer , should all be gone with any luck.
Thats 4 of our current slow and inefectual backline. Hastings and Gildart should add some courage and spark, We have some stars in Flegg to be moved up,and some slugs in the cup side shown the door. My only concern is not recruitment, but the retention of players that obviously are not and never will be 1st gde standard,. I just hope Hartigan has the final say, but i have a feeling he is sometimes overuled.

@851 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395663) said:
@yeahcaz said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395546) said:

Do we change coaches ?

As much as I dislike him, buzz makes the same point on 360 everytime others say “oh it’s just the players”

Madge has been NZ coach since before he came to us and so far that’s only helped us get one player who’s literally been pushed out of their current club. He has absolutely no pull power at the moment. Craig Fitzgibbon isn’t even a first grade coach yet and he’s already convinced nicho hynes to sign long term as well get talented youngsters in Kennedy, rudolf and talakai to re sign long term.

I have been saying this for 2 years, the good players don't want to play for Madge, it was reinforced on 100% footy, from 2 seperate sources, Gallen and Carayannis, yet I get called a hater for stating it.
If our side was improving, or at least look like improving I would cop Madge as coach, but none of this is happening

I raise you Packer, Mbye, Reynolds. Madge came in with a hand behind his back.

Jet - FAIL

Kepaoa and Luciano are definitely not fails, Roberts is on close to minimum wage, Liddle can be good but he's being asked to play too many minutes by the coach, Tamou is okay, not great but not a fail, Joey and Nofa duds.

He's also signed/re-signed:

Doueihi: GUN
Laurie: GUN
Stefano: GUN
Seyfarth: GUN
Ofahengaue: been good and made origin
Blore: massive prospect and been playing well
Jake Simpkin: big future
Tuki Simpkins: real prospect
Tuilagi: looking really good

Not every signing can be a hit but I would argue he's done a lot more good than bad. Not to mention Hastings and Gildart could do well next season too

Do we change coaches ?

Who remains?

Who goes?

Curious as to why so many people say Hartigan is a must keep yet he’s apparently the driver behind recruitment. Based on that logic he’d have to go too wouldn’t he? If we’ve got a crap squad with a poor attitude he signed them up with Madge so he failed too. To be honest this whole thing just hurts my head and the more I try to think what we need to do next the more it hurts

@yeahcaz said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395547) said:
@tigertownsfs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1395544) said:
I love brooks but we all need to move on. Bring in Pearce for 2 or 3 years and develop another half. Brooks is a confidence player who needs to play in a strong team or in a weak comp (super league).

Agreed. Cut Moses and Brooks next year, regardless of what we have to pay elsewhere. We just have to move on. I’d seriously consider Pearce or Johnson, or even both on short term deals

Actually that’s not a bad idea.
Panthers went from nobodies to semi finalists when they sacked Burns ‘indiscretion’ and said thanks for your long service to Walsh.
Instead of introducing rookie halves. They brought home Wallace (Pearce) and signed an unwanted Soward from Super League (Johnson).
Could make a massive difference to our team.

Back