Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Might no be the correct thread to post to , but I see on wwwos website another article/podcast with Joey John’s trying to get Luke brooks to Newcastle .

The protracted and public attempts by that club to get brooks to break his contract is disgusting and I cannot believe tigers have not asked the nrl to dock Newcastle points for next season.

Nrl must put in a rule anyone employed by media cannot be involved with clubs. John’s using his mouth piece to lure brooks to break contract

Might no be the correct thread to post to , but I see on wwwos website another article/podcast with Joey John’s trying to get Luke brooks to Newcastle .

The protracted and public attempts by that club to get brooks to break his contract is disgusting and I cannot believe tigers have not asked the nrl to dock Newcastle points for next season.

Nrl must put in a rule anyone employed by media cannot be involved with clubs. John’s using his mouth piece to lure brooks to break contract
It's been raised before but good for a rehash rugba.
It was mentioned that Phil Gould should not have an opinion on 100%footy and be connected to other clubs....now with the dogs. He was the one advocating we were crazy offering Cameron Ciraldo 5 years and big money...look what the dogs have gone and done.
You can throw in Munsters manager hosting NRL 360 and there are others. Braith told Kent that Munster had no chance of coming to the tigers.

Absolutely. But the question is why have they been able to put that roster together.
Why are they more fortunate with their junior talent, senior recruits?

Where is the Tigers generational talent?
Where are the senior players pushing the young squad to be better.

Why are the tigers lacking in these areas
Parra had the same run with the talent back in the '80's, Kenny, Grothe, Ella, etc and added a couple of country boys in Stirlo and Cronin. That happened 40 years ago. Newcastle had a good run for a while about 20 years ago. Penrith's and Cow's turn now. Nothing lasts for ever.

Gavet - journeyman who played 12 games for us 😂

Tapau has flipper hands

Brooks got rookie of the year anyway.

Dumb argument that one.

He’s always had shit forward packs.
Because poor old Luke, it's never his fault, fair dinkum, those crap forwards made him kick out on the full, kick dead repeatedly, and made him take the wrong option almost at will, those forwards caused his poor game management too I suspect

I recall him being fairly injury prone to start his career - maybe that’s why we released him

Seen him play for Tonga a couple years back and he was a handful.
Ben sought a release to Penrith after his best mate Mosese Fotuaika's tragic suicide.

Also JT didn't rate him - he preferred Kyle Lovett etc...

(JT didn't rate many Polynesian forwards after Fa'ologo punched his teeth out his coit at Souths Mad Monday.)

Because poor old Luke, it's never his fault, fair dinkum, those crap forwards made him kick out on the full, kick dead repeatedly, and made him take the wrong option almost at will, those forwards caused his poor game management too I suspect
I think the side has a culture of lacking in confidence and aggression or positive traits right across the side.
Luke has proven he has got the job done before when he won ½ back of the year.... Surely it's not because he doesn't care.
When we recruit it must be players who ooze confidence in their ability and aggression. Players in the mould of Gagai and Mitchell in the backs, klemmer and JWH in the forwards.
I'm not saying we go after those players, just players like them who can instill confidence in the like of Brooks. Jacko is one guy who can get Brooks going too.

It was mentioned that Phil Gould should not have an opinion on 100%footy and be connected to other clubs....now with the dogs. He was the one advocating we were crazy offering Cameron Ciraldo 5 years and big money...look what the dogs have gone and done.
You can throw in Munsters manager hosting NRL 360 and there are others. Braith told Kent that Munster had no chance of coming to the tigers.
I doubt that very much

I doubt that very much
You are correct.

While he tacitly acknowledged it was a long shot - he specifically did not rule out the Tigers.

And if he had done so - it would have been negligent in his role as manager where he is legally obliged to canvas all options and offers.

This enables them to use any over-bid by the Tigers or Redcliffe etc as leverage for negotiations with their preferred destination club.

Munster or Moses will not be coming to the Tigers. It's naive to believe they would. It's clear managers leak to the media to jack up the asking price for the teams their players actually want to go to. Not to say we shouldn't try... but it's not going to happen. Top line players in the prime of their careers will not come.

The media, particularly Fox know full well what is happening. Way too many have conflicts of interest to be neutral.

You are correct.

While he tacitly acknowledged it was a long shot - he specifically did not rule out the Tigers.

And if he had done so - it would have been negligent in his role as manager where he is legally obliged to canvas all options and offers.

This enables them to use any over-bid by the Tigers or Redcliffe etc as leverage for negotiations with their preferred destination club.
That's not the episode I'm referring to.

Munster or Moses will not be coming to the Tigers. It's naive to believe they would. It's clear managers leak to the media to jack up the asking price for the teams their players actually want to go to. Not to say we shouldn't try... but it's not going to happen. Top line players in the prime of their careers will not come.

The media, particularly Fox know full well what is happening. Way too many have conflicts of interest to be neutral.

Sure, our WT are far from being the favourite for such big name signings.

That said, not even a year has passed since the vast majority would have said the same things about Koroisau and Papali'i, yet both have WT contracts registered with the NRL for the next couple of seasons or more.

Naive? Yeah, somewhat, but certainly not impossible for the club to land either for 2024 if still available and dollars tabled.

In fairness to Anasta, he keeps it pretty balanced and I don’t think he promotes his players on the show.

What Gould did is a bit out of line.

Sure, our WT are far from being the favourite for such big name signings.

That said, not even a year has passed since the vast majority would have said the same things about Koroisau and Papali'i, yet both have WT contracts registered with the NRL for the next couple of seasons or more.

Naive? Yeah, somewhat, but certainly not impossible for the club to land either for 2024 if still available and dollars tabled.
Agreed Papali'i and Koroisau are both fantastic signings. I would argue that Koroisau is probably heading toward the back end of his career and we might not get the best out of him. But I would be happy to be proven wrong the next 3 years!

I think we probably gave the impression of a slightly more stable club when they both signed. Things have deteriorated since then, and the perception of the club within media, players and ours and other clubs fans make us a pretty unattractive proposition.

I acknowledge all it takes is one good season to flip things though and pick up some real momentum.

Money talks. Tigers shown they're willing to offer players a longer contract to get a player.

Latest posts

Back