Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I think this issue was mentioned before, the "suggestions" shall be separated from "rumours" thread, as there are many more "suggestions" that clog the "rumours"!
The "suggestions" shall be reserved for wishes, dreams, e.g. "I think we need J W-H type player", or "we need fast winger e.g. Koroibete", "the WT need a good organising HB", "the WT need to sign D Brown and DCE"
and "rumours" for the "substantiated news" e.g. POM's news!

To defend the club just because we have interest in someone doesn't mean they'll automatically come - there's plenty of clubs who miss out on big targets it happens

That year I don't recall anyone who we approached aggressively and missed barring RTS who was happy in NZ at the time....
Need only go back to the first 10 pages of this entire thread to see what I’m talking about. Funny I read a comment I wrote re Tedesco and well let’s just say I’ll accept the egg on my face.
Players linked at the time but missed out on.
Fullback-
Dugan
Ferguson
Edwards
Five Eight-
Widdop
Johnson
Wing-
Tupou
Prop-
Graham

Need only go back to the first 10 pages of this entire thread to see what I’m talking about. Funny I read a comment I wrote re Tedesco and well let’s just say I’ll accept the egg on my face.
Players linked at the time but missed out on.
Fullback-
Dugan
Ferguson
Edwards
Five Eight-
Widdop
Johnson
Wing-
Tupou
Prop-
Graham

Doubt we sent official offers to all those players - probs just what it seemed to be... a rumour

Widdop and Johnston were approached I believe but decided Reynolds would be a good buy for a series of reasons including culture etc

I think it's a suggestion.

I am probably the best poster on this forum when it comes to being in the know. I'm 100% accurate when I state a signing is happening. The only issue is I get my information from the official site.
drug fueled.

Yes, he is contracted. But with the money NRL clubs have at their disposal I think pretty much anyone is available. We just can’t compete. I’d rather not see him leave but he’s waaaaay too good for our competition and I’d enjoy seeing him tearing it up at WT before the dreaded Storm or the Bunnies or the Dogs. As an aside, his scrum half partner, Lewis Dodd, is another kid age 20/21 who is the best talent I’ve seen in that position in a long, long time. He picked up a nasty injury mid-season but his rehab is going fine and I KNOW he has his sights firmly set on the NRL. He came over with St. Helens academy to Australia a couple of years ago and was the easily the best player on the pitch when they faced off against Penrith’s juniors - many of whom are now in the first team squad. Neither would be for next season. But definitely worth setting up early dialogue because that’s how the Bunnies got Burgess and the Bulldogs got Graham.

If you want an idea of how Welsby plays - check out the hit he put on the Salford half in the semi-final last week (it’s available on twitter). He got hauled up before the disciplinary for what I felt was a perfect shot but thankfully was let off. You just don’t see too many stand-offs/fullbacks who average five tackle busts a game, two or three assists, a pair of tries, hit like a backrow forward and turn it up in big games. And he hasn’t even got his grown man body yet. Kid is special.

Jack Welsby likened to Tedesco and Trbojevic by team-mate Curtis Sironen​

What are we hoping for with Furner exactly? His recent history is far from inspiring.
He has more experience as a coach and assistant coach than any of our recent assistants. He is familiar with the Sheens' style of play and no doubt will free up Sheens to undertake other functions. He will provide solid support for Marshall and Farah - cool head.
Being a player who transitioned from fullback to the second row, he will be able to mentor players such as Tumeth, Kautoga, O'Kane (if he stays) and Matamua. Most importantly, he was a smart footballer like Payten.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back