Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

RE Matt Groat, Why on earth did he not work out?

Seriously all the "Sheens" talk can be boiled down to that squad in many ways. Sheens backed Woods, Groat and Simon O'Dwyer. O'Dwyer looses his arm, Groat never fires and Woodsey performs out of his skin then tanks/plods under new coaches. I know there were rules changes but Groat should have been firing with Woods.

Next decision Sheens Fires fan fav's Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan for Braith Anasta and Adam Blair. This destroyed Tiger town and as Anasta put it "I arrived at the training sheds and it was like a funeral." The team missed Beau and Chris.

For all the talk Sheens is a total diceroll.
All the fans saying he is Brilliant, I agree.
All the fans saying Sheens sucks. I agree.

Ciraldo said "we need an experienced coach" and I totally agree. Sheens needs to straighten the tigers mess, I think he will get the job done. If not,
Fire him and Hire Des Haslier before Saints or Titans do.
I’m left wondering what Ciraldo meant by that?
Will that change much over the next 2 years?

Seriously all the "Sheens" talk can be boiled down to that squad in many ways. Sheens backed Woods, Groat and Simon O'Dwyer. O'Dwyer looses his arm, Groat never fires and Woodsey performs out of his skin then tanks/plods under new coaches. I know there were rules changes but Groat should have been firing with Woods.

Next decision Sheens Fires fan fav's Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan for Braith Anasta and Adam Blair. This destroyed Tiger town and as Anasta put it "I arrived at the training sheds and it was like a funeral." The team missed Beau and Chris.

Ciraldo said "we need an experienced coach" and I totally agree. Sheens needs to straighten the tigers mess, I think he will get the job done. If not,

Sheens won’t be fired he is here for only 2yrs as coach anyway.

Sheens primary objective is to ensure Benji is ready to coach fulltime in 2yrs.

We seem too often unable to get the best out of some players. It’s probably a narrow sighted view of mine because I look more closely at WT, but so many talented players move on and get better.
I know a player or employee of any kind can change employers but not job role and get a kind of ah huh, light bulb moment where everything clicks into place. Where you get this sense of breakthrough new knowledge which has always been there, but has never been appealing or logical?
I honestly don't think that's any more true of the Tigers than it is of any club. Everyone knew Tedesco was a phenomenal player and I don't think any improvement after he left the Tigers reflects anything more than natural maturity in his game, and being surrounded with talent. Otherwise most of the players I wish we retained were kids when they left - we never had the chance to get the most out of Fifita, Moses, Addo-Carr or Papenhuysen, for instance, because they were gone long before we saw what they could become.

I'm just not sure who all these players are who looked mediocre at the Tigers then suddenly flourished elsewhere.

I know he lives in QLD now. He is often back in the area being a gregs boy, and having family here. You can play it like I don't know what I am talking about if you want. But you will have to settle with being wrong.

I have personal experience with his average behaviour towards my family members*

*I will footnote this and say he was much younger at the time, and can respect that people change and grow up
He was playing for the Central Capras in Rocky

Someone mentioned rating Groat with Lazarus ...if you ask me Woods was the best young prop I had seen at his very young age comparing to Lazarus ...just needed to stop worrying about his SuperCoach and Fantasy League numbers

When he ran staright and hard and stopped turning his back he was a damn good prop .....you can't argue that no matter how much of a big headed Douche he became ....

Mate I have two super talented young nephews who play league the older more talented one is going to give it up it was good when he could just run over and bash the smaller kids but last season he was getting hit back and did not like it the smaller less talented one who is still the best player in his team loves the physical contact getting hit and hitting back and is a tackleing machine just loves doing defensive work cuts all the biggest kids down I think the mental side is just as important

Why because someone started beating their chest about an opinion that they didn't like? It's a forum not all opinions are the same nor are the methods of reacting to them.
Was amused by your little contribution.... an almost perfect example of what they describe as pot calling kettle.
Don’t have an issue with different opinions at all? In fact I’ve never stated I’m a Sheens supporter or otherwise. Although I’m apparently a ‘Sheens fluffier’ 😂🤷‍♂️
To be honest I just don’t see the point in the constant sookery from the baggers on here?
It’s not going to make a difference? The contracts are signed, it is what it is? You can either accept reality and get onboard and try and offer some positive support to the club or sulk and [This word has been automatically removed] about the coach or whatever players you don’t like. I’m almost certain many on here want to see there whipping boys fail so they can blow there own insignificant trumpet on the fan forum, more than they want to see the club improve and succeed. I mean you all say ‘I hope I’m proven wrong’, but you really don’t sound like that’s true at all?
So yeah, it’s not the different opinions, it’s more the perpetual whining and judgmental snipes of some ‘supporters’ (???) that I get sick of listening too.
You know?

Don’t have an issue with different opinions at all? In fact I’ve never stated I’m a Sheens supporter or otherwise. Although I’m apparently a ‘Sheens fluffier’ 😂🤷‍♂️
To be honest I just don’t see the point in the constant sookery from the baggers on here?
It’s not going to make a difference? The contracts are signed, it is what it is? You can either accept reality and get onboard and try and offer some positive support to the club or sulk and [This word has been automatically removed] about the coach or whatever players you don’t like. I’m almost certain many on here want to see there whipping boys fail so they can blow there own insignificant trumpet on the fan forum, more than they want to see the club improve and succeed. I mean you all say ‘I hope I’m proven wrong’, but you really don’t sound like that’s true at all?
So yeah, it’s not the different opinions, it’s more the perpetual whining and judgmental snipes of some ‘supporters’ (???) that I get sick of listening too.
You know?

Same things do get repeated a lot.

I honestly don't think that's any more true of the Tigers than it is of any club. Everyone knew Tedesco was a phenomenal player and I don't think any improvement after he left the Tigers reflects anything more than natural maturity in his game, and being surrounded with talent. Otherwise most of the players I wish we retained were kids when they left - we never had the chance to get the most out of Fifita, Moses, Addo-Carr or Papenhuysen, for instance, because they were gone long before we saw what they could become.

I'm just not sure who all these players are who looked mediocre at the Tigers then suddenly flourished elsewhere.

I wouldn’t call any of those players you mentioned mediocre, far from it.
Papenhuysen didn’t debut with WT but he played NSW and Australia as a junior.
If as you say “they were gone before we knew what they could become,” I know you wouldn’t be talking on behalf of anyone responsible for letting them go.
Your post supports my statement that we don’t seem to get the best out of our existing talent.
I’m just wondering why?

You know?
Any chance you could put this on another thread please?

Mate I have two super talented young nephews who play league the older more talented one is going to give it up it was good when he could just run over and bash the smaller kids but last season he was getting hit back and did not like it the smaller less talented one who is still the best player in his team loves the physical contact getting hit and hitting back and is a tackleing machine just loves doing defensive work cuts all the biggest kids down I think the mental side is just as important
I had to hold my breath whilst reading that

I wouldn’t call any of those players you mentioned mediocre, far from it.
Papenhuysen didn’t debut with WT but he played NSW and Australia as a junior.
If as you say “they were gone before we knew what they could become,” I know you wouldn’t be talking on behalf of anyone responsible for letting them go.
Your post supports my statement that we don’t seem to get the best out of our existing talent.
I’m just wondering why?
When you say we don't get the best out of existing talent the implication seems to be that players would be better playing for another team at the time they're playing for us. That's why I'm trying to exclude the names I mentioned: obviously Moses, say, has been better after leaving the Tigers but that's because he was still developing as a first grade footballer when he left, not that there's some magical fairy dust that makes players become good as soon as they leave. He was still a dreadful defender in his first season or two at Parra, for instance - he was just developing and improving, as he would have done if he'd stayed.

If your point is that we have lost players we should have retained, I 100% agree. But that's a different point from "we don't get the best out of talent" - it would be something like "we don't appropriately value talent before it fully emerges".

I was about to ask "surely it wasn't just the Shoulder charge".
Then I realised how many players are totally stuffed from Head knocks. Wow it took him out for all of 2012

Looked up Groat again:
'Groat was unable to play at the start of 2013 due to injury. Coach Mick Potter said, "Matt got his ankle, foot and toe caught in the ground and got some weight on the back of it. He had been working hard and his shape was looking better too."[13] He didn't play any first grade in 2013.'
Wikipedia.

Back to it. No coach can predict the Future.
Had O'Dwyer and Groat worked out, The Tigers may have had one of the league's most insane forward packs. Wayne did not succeed at Newcastle due to Alex McKinnon and I would only blame Wayne if he coached that into Alex's game.

I can see 20/20 hindsight that Adam Blair wasn't worth loosing Chris H and Beau for. But that is 20/20.

Coaches have to roll the dice. Good coaches will get it wrong, the great coaches rarely get it wrong.

When you say we don't get the best out of existing talent the implication seems to be that players would be better playing for another team at the time they're playing for us. That's why I'm trying to exclude the names I mentioned: obviously Moses, say, has been better after leaving the Tigers but that's because he was still developing as a first grade footballer when he left, not that there's some magical fairy dust that makes players become good as soon as they leave. He was still a dreadful defender in his first season or two at Parra, for instance - he was just developing and improving, as he would have done if he'd stayed.

If your point is that we have lost players we should have retained, I 100% agree. But that's a different point from "we don't get the best out of talent" - it would be something like "we don't appropriately value talent before it fully emerges".
I’ll try a different strategy lol.
Let me ask you this...was there a reason Tim Sheens when asked what type of coach he was looking for, replied “a development coach”?
Was that just an off the cuff remark, or was there a strong meaningful message there?

Back