Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Yes to Townsend on a short-term deal to steer us around the park. No to JWH, in principle it's not a bad idea, but our pack isn't the problem so he's not necessary. Plenty of leadership in Koroisau, Klemmer and Bateman. Ofahengaue when he comes back to firsts too.
JWH would add that mongrel & aggression to our pack with Klemmer & Bateman (and hopefully bring that out in the likes of Uto, Pole, Matamua). I am sick of our pack being nice matey marshmallows!

If you are dropping players on defensive efforts you're dropping pretty much the entire team after that performance. As for discussions about who is and who isn't an "NRL standard fullback" .... I just saw the Knights come within a hair of beating Manly with a fullback who didn't realise he was defending behind the dead ball line!
But you wernt taking about the whole team. You were talking about fullback. (And actually, most of the forwards had a cracking defensive effort so I wouldn’t be dropping them anyway)

It’s not a one off. He’s had a couple of good moments but he hasn’t played a full good quality 80 minutes in any position since he’s been back from injury. Many games. He’s out of sorts and we still extended him. I reckon sheens will give him one more chance next game at 1 and if he fails he’ll swap it around after the bye.

But you wernt taking about the whole team. You were talking about fullback. (And actually, most of the forwards had a cracking defensive effort so I wouldn’t be dropping them anyway)
Friend, you got forty six points put on you. It could easily have been seventy and not because of any "cracking defensive efforts" but rather Brisbane over-enthusiasm and ... well ... record instances of cramp brought about by attacking exhaustion ...

Reactions: 851
There were 3 missed tackles between the starting forwards. I feel they work quite well as a unit defensively. Definitely compared to last years squad. I’m not sure why you want to drop them as well using defense as the marker?

I agree that continually swapping positions is not very productive. But I still disagree in this case that we continue to pick and stick with an option at 1 that was already tried and failed under a previous coach and is obviously not working the second time around. If douehi strings 3 good games together at 1 then be happily persuaded.

There were 3 missed tackles between the starting forwards. I feel they work quite well as a unit defensively. Definitely compared to last years squad. I’m not sure why you want to drop them as well using defense as the marker?

I agree that continually swapping positions is not very productive. But I still disagree in this case that we continue to pick and stick with an option at 1 that was already tried and failed under a previous coach and is obviously not working the second time around. If douehi strings 3 good games together at 1 then be happily persuaded.
James Tedesco channeling Billy Slater, Minichiello and Garry Jack cumulatively couldn't string three good games together for the Tigers.

Wakeham looked completely useless tonight. Don’t underestimate the power of this team to kill careers.
They played brooks at half, and Wakehan at 5/8, BUT Wakeham is a half and not a 5/8, he just offloaded like a half to the centre. Two halves is not the way to go!
Brooks is touted as a running 5/8, then for gods sake put him there!

If we try for every player like Kennedy we'll get one or two. We are building and we should be able to pick up at least 5 backline players. Maybe one or two will improve us.
Good chance we end up with none. I don’t see any regular starters for any clubs this year joining the Tigers. Depth players and Cup players are the only players I see joining us.

And what have we got, they can sign a decent player, all weve got so far is retirees.
To be fair Kruise-Leeming wouldn't be much use to you. He's not as good as Api and his confidence levels are already low coming out of an equally dysfunctional Leeds. You can make a case that the Titans aren't much better. But Holbrook seems like he has a good relationship with his players. The fact he never lost the dressing room despite some of the horror defeats they suffered certainly suggests so. Their issues seem far less complicated than WT's. The addition of just one good halfback would probably move them up at least four or five spots on the table.

Reactions: 851
I find it extremely ironic and completely Wests Tigers like that we let go of the only organising halfback we have had in 10 years (Hastings) because apparently he is too slow and then trust placed in Brooks. For us then to enquire about Mitchell Pearce who is older and slower than Hastings and probably more expensive.
Older yes but not slower. Hastings wound up to full speed last weekend and got overtaken by a tortoise.

Look at Newcastle this year in recruiting Miller and Hastings. Newcastle wouldn't be particularly desirable but they had the smarts to go after 2nd tier players who make their squad better rather than our approach of throwing big dollars at players who aren't interested. They're not going to win the premiership but you build on that and can probably attract better players on the back of that.
I will point out to you that on the weekend Miller let a bloke score in front of him by defending the dead-ball line.

Cronulla supposedly looking to lock up Hynes on a long term contract. We should be topping anything they could possibly offer and them some. Even go as far as life after football. Why did we not look at him before?
We did, but he had a thing with Craig Fitzgibbon.

Halfback - George Williams or then Chad Townsend (experience & direction)
Five-Eighth - Blake Taafe or then Luke Metcalfe (x-factor, speed & goal kickers)
Fullback - William Kennedy or then Nick Meaney (experience, directional & good defensively)

Benji was meant to be a lure for players! Cmon man, you were you a good negotiator on Celebrity Apprentice, now apply those skills to recruitment!

I also don't like it when women objective me. I was smoking a ciggie whilst eating a double big mac and I didn't realize my gut was falling out of my pants and a group of young women started whistling at me. I felt dirty.
You probably were dirty, special sauce on your hoodie.

I will point out to you that on the weekend Miller let a bloke score in front of him by defending the dead-ball line.

Doueihi probably took notes. Point taken about him but my point is that he's not necessarily a top tier player but he's better than what they had and they're building on that. He has speed and effort at least and he'd be playing fullback for us if he was here.

Members online

Back