Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Bateman has been great for our club and I shake my head at the criticism directed at him. He leads on the field and we are starting to see our younger players go with him. He is also from Yorkshire and families are very close in the north. It is only human to want to catch up with family at Christmas.
Tend to lean this way RE Bateman.

It's just frustrating because he can come up with some dumb plays, sideways running and ridiculous attempts at miracle plays. It's more desperation than anything most of the time.

Just did a count, teams that play us are 5 wins 12 losses the next round this season (didn’t count matches followed by a bye round). Warriors better be worried!
Actually it’s 13-5 and funny enough the Panthers have a similar record but in reverse where as teams are 14w and 4w the week after playing the Panthers (not including matches following bye rounds).
Even more interesting is the two teams in the next match are Manly whom were beaten by the Panthers and the Warriors whom beat us.
I wonder which record stands after this week.?.?

Reactions: 851
Anybody still think that paying 750K and a transfer of 200k for Batman was worth it, has had 2 good games, he is COOKED, his body language and play on the weekend was well below average, and saying at least he tries hard doesn't cut it. To be earning that type of money, your elite in that position, what a waste
I'm all in favour of him going home for Christmas and not coming back

Fair dinkum if the club gets rid of Blore for Luke Thompson I might not have the strength to keep sticking by the club. It would be just poor decision after poor decision.
Has there been any further about this in the media?

I would like to say that replacing Blore with Thompson at 3x the salary would be our dumbest recruitment decision ever but this is the club that refused to release Talau for Ado-Carr and signed McQueen after neck surgery.

In regards to Bateman- for a smaller guy, he's actually generating far more run metres per game than i thought. There's a lot of 'dirty carries' in his game, so probably flies under the radar a bit.

He's quite agile, and seems to beat or break tackles fairly often.

It's hard to be too critical of the forwards, despite not being a perfect mix, in my opinion. The effort they have put in all year, in a mostly unhappy season, I think says something about building the culture.

Has there been any further about this in the media?

I would like to say that replacing Blore with Thompson at 3x the salary would be our dumbest recruitment decision ever but this is the club that refused to release Talau for Ado-Carr and signed McQueen after neck surgery.
Not sure mate. I do remember a similar situation around 12 years ago when Sheens released a young/up & coming Andrew Fifita for Adam Blair, looks like history might repeat itself.

Bateman has been great for our club and I shake my head at the criticism directed at him. He leads on the field and we are starting to see our younger players go with him. He is also from Yorkshire and families are very close in the north. It is only human to want to catch up with family at Christmas.

I have absolutely no issue with a player going home for holidays, though I cannot deny that I think the team needs a little bit more from him, even if he is our only forward with any real mongel and gets in the face of the opposition.

let's ease up on John Bateman. the bloke didn't get a preseason and was given 2 weeks to acclimatise before being thrown in the deep end. from minute 1 against the Dogs he was excellent and while he's had his moments, his effort or desire hasn't wavered. he is a culture signing, a guy that was brought across to instill a level of toughness and willingness. the young boys will learn plenty off him.

I understand that he's been battered a little bit and there's been moments that he's struggled, but it is getting to the end of a very long season where he wasn't able to prepare properly for it. let's see what happens next year before jumping to any conclusions.
Yeah I agree.

World cup,no offseason with the team, started after the season was underway.

I was bagging him a little too but with the above... I'm backing off until maybe rd 10 next year.
Yeah I know he's paid alot for his current output,

Tough gig playing playing here.Tougher not playing NRL for as long,

Hope he can proves us he's worth his coin next year.

You’d imagine Bateman will be playing the test series in England v Tonga and then like all players he will have time off and what he does with it is up to him. So would expect him to be in UK during both of those.

I have absolutely no issue with a player going home for holidays, though I cannot deny that I think the team needs a little bit more from him, even if he is our only forward with any real mongel and gets in the face of the opposition.
I too have no issue with Bateman going home for a holiday in the off season, my only 'yes, but' is that he has to be back in good time for pre-season training and team bonding. Lord knows we need a lot of it.

Back