Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Once more, as it stands right now, whenever someone is asked, 'OK, who should we go after and what would you offer them?', there is never a list of targets. It's far easier to speak in generalities than to be specific when it comes to bemoaning the current predicament of the squad.

For example, there is zero star power on the market for next year. That ship has sailed. And it was a relatively barren ship at that.

The only two names worth mentioning were Farnsworth (who has only continued to grow AFTER signing with the Dolphins) and Crichton. What exactly would it have taken to get Farnsworth to the Wests Tigers to play centre? And Crichton. Going to the dogs to play fullback, on $1 million-odd under his former coach and with several of his former tight-knit team mates. What exactly would it take to have got him here instead? 1.2? 1.4? Most definitely the fullback jersey, despite him being an out and out centre and which is now Bula's to keep.

Are these realistic targets? And even if they were, were we ever an option for them?

So, onto 2025 and (possibly) agitate for an early release, which is not the norm..

Firstly, Nov 1 is not for a month, so nothing official or otherwise should be happenning as of yet. Who's on that list that we must be chasing?

Unfortunately, again, there's not bucket loads.

At centre I've got Best, Taylan May and Isaiah Tass. On the wing Kiraz, Cotric and Reimis Smith.

In outside backs, the market doesn't exactly scream 'flush with freely available options'.

So, again, who exactly are these gigantic upgrades that we can target for the next couple of years? What will they cost and are they even a legitimate chance of entertaining Wests as a destination?

It may be, just perhaps, the reason the club has gone all in on junior development. Unequivocally the correct move, given the market scarcity, the rise in the salary cap and the current appeal of this club.

But, as always, there needs to be balance there in external recruitment, just not pie in the sky superstar chasing, especially when no one can name a legitimate target moving forward.

100%.
This year was an unforgivable abortion of a campaign. Easily our worst season ever. Totally wasted that talent. Those recruits are now all a year older…maybe a bit jaded. What will their 2024 look like?
Unprofessional performance from all coaches and trainers this year. They bottled it completely.
Were you in a coma for 2022? Also if you were an adult in 2001 and 2002, you would have a real different opinion.
Some serious research bench bias going on there .
For the rest of us I present you Hopoate , Field , McGuiness , Mc Craken broken neck ( I know he did it in 2000 but we still had hope going into 2001) halves of such quality as Lincoln Withers (gun utility and number 9 , but not a half) Ben Black , Ben Jefferies And on and on it goes .
No even though we got the spoon last year was not our worst year . Not even close
Sorry Matt seers and his bullshit … If teams could attack like they can now , we would have had 60 on us each game .

I remember the days when it was 1st grade 2nd grade and 3rd grade, Leichhardt Oval ran east/west and the grand final was played Saturday arvo.Change can be but is not always a good thing

From the time we had left Birchgrove and started at Leichardt oval, I never missed a game at Leichardt
And for the life of me I cant remember Leichardt oval running East to West, it always ran North to South.

Were you in a coma for 2022? Also if you were an adult in 2001 and 2002, you would have a real different opinion.
Some serious research bench bias going on there .
For the rest of us I present you Hopoate , Field , McGuiness , Mc Craken broken neck ( I know he did it in 2000 but we still had hope going into 2001) halves of such quality as Lincoln Withers (gun utility and number 9 , but not a half) Ben Black , Ben Jefferies And on and on it goes .
No even though we got the spoon last year was not our worst year . Not even close
Sorry Matt seers and his bullshit … If teams could attack like they can now , we would have had 60 on us each game .
2022 we had an injury riddled side, no proper stars, our coach sacked mid season, players let go mid season, an interim coach who had never performed at top level, players lent out to other clubs….they had no option but to come last, yet they still tried.
2023 we had our injured players back on deck, we had our premiership winning coach in charge, we had our two favourite sons helping him, we brought another experienced coach in to help, we had three blokes join the team who played in the previous years GF, we had an international join the team who featured for a teir 1 team in the previous years WC, we had an experienced prop join us who has done it all, we unearthed a fullback who won a heap of awards by the year’s end, …should I go on? 23 was a vastly worse year.

Now you bring up 2001 and 2002 and I laugh at you expense and utter desperation.
2001 saw us win 9 games and draw another. Big difference to this year. We scored 100 more points than this year, with a worse roster as you pointed out. 2002 saw us win 7 games. Not great but better than our 4 this year. We again managed over 100 points more than this year, despite our roster.
Uppercut yourself champ, I’m out of town.

From the time we had left Birchgrove and started at Leichardt oval, I never missed a game at Leichardt
And for the life of me I cant remember Leichardt oval running East to West, it always ran North to South.

It became north to south in the 70's because the ground was rebuilt then and we played at the old Sydney sports ground during that period

Once more, as it stands right now, whenever someone is asked, 'OK, who should we go after and what would you offer them?', there is never a list of targets. It's far easier to speak in generalities than to be specific when it comes to bemoaning the current predicament of the squad.

For example, there is zero star power on the market for next year. That ship has sailed. And it was a relatively barren ship at that.

The only two names worth mentioning were Farnsworth (who has only continued to grow AFTER signing with the Dolphins) and Crichton. What exactly would it have taken to get Farnsworth to the Wests Tigers to play centre? And Crichton. Going to the dogs to play fullback, on $1 million-odd under his former coach and with several of his former tight-knit team mates. What exactly would it take to have got him here instead? 1.2? 1.4? Most definitely the fullback jersey, despite him being an out and out centre and which is now Bula's to keep.

Are these realistic targets? And even if they were, were we ever an option for them?

So, onto 2025 and (possibly) agitate for an early release, which is not the norm..

Firstly, Nov 1 is not for a month, so nothing official or otherwise should be happenning as of yet. Who's on that list that we must be chasing?

At centre I've got Best, Taylan May and Isaiah Tass. On the wing Kiraz, Cotric and Reimis Smith.

In outside backs, the market doesn't exactly scream 'flush with freely available options'.

So, again, who exactly are these gigantic upgrades that we can target for the next couple of years? What will they cost and are they even a legitimate chance of entertaining Wests as a destination?

It may be, just perhaps, the reason the club has gone all in on junior development. Unequivocally the correct move, given the market scarcity, the rise in the salary cap and the current appeal of this club.

But, as always, there needs to be balance there in external recruitment, just not pie in the sky superstar chasing, especially when no one can name a legitimate target moving forward.
Agree mate..

I have said for a while now it's hard to buy all these quality players people want when they are NOT available.

Considering what we are doing and position we are in I think we have done a pretty good job. We clearly had halves problems so went out and brought 3 with big wraps on 2 of them and its better than running Wakeham out each week or Api in the halves. If we had better halves this year, we don't get the spoon and people would see the progress we are making.

We need to pick up some outside backs which we all agree but there are some positives for the year.
1. Bula was a find and a half
2. We somehow extended Api and he is a deadset top line player
3. Debuted a few very good players this year
4. We have offloaded some more average players who just take up spots
5. Next year we are back at our real home as contact is up so better home court advantage

I'm a believer and think we are heading in the right direction so happy to see how it goes.

Plus, its only early and would expect more player in and out before season starts.

That’s the one , keeping them , but I still feel we are 2 players short of a bit more success , these players only need to be like Olam , Tracy , we could not score , we have secured the pack and Half’s now , just need to get centres , kids will stay if they see a competitive team for them to look forward to joining , not wooded spooners
We’ve often had decent juniors. The main issue is not our inability to keep them. It’s being able to properly develop/progress them. We have been horrendous at developing younger players into first graders, fringe first graders into average first graders, and average first graders into good first graders. I’d say the worst in the comp since the WT inception. (This issue is also evident when we sign first graders from other clubs. Their form mostly declines once they are at WT.) Because we can’t develop players, we have a losing team/culture and therefore players with talent (often young players) leave and go elsewhere.

I am very concerned about Benji’s, Robbie’s and Heighno’s ability to develop our current juniors (Morris thankfully has some runs on the board). Failure to develop and retain this crop of juniors will set the club back for another 5 to 10 years which I believe will put the future of the club in jeopardy.

It used to run east west when I was a VERY little kid and the Keith Barnes stand was the dressing room and that ramp led to the halfway line

Very well said.
If we are looking at a player approaching the prime of their career with the size, height and speed to be a potential match winner that we need, we would likely be looking at Tass or possibly Reims Smith from that list.
I believe we might be better off head hunting another young up and comer with the potential to be an elite outside back, Samuel Stonestreet from the Sharks.
Currently contracted until the end of 2025, but I’d say it would be a minimal contract that under sells his ability and also he is currently blocked for a regular NRL starting spot at the Sharks.
6”4 winger/centres who run the ball hard and have plenty of speed don’t grow on trees.

Last edited:
Once more, as has been explained to you already, we aren’t talking about who is available now. The recruitment team works all year round you realise?
For example, there is zero star power on the market for next year. That ship has sailed.
That is the point being made. Where were we when the doors were still open?
You are sooking about members being upset that we haven’t signed anyone of note, yet your trump is we have to bank on juniors?
It’s a lazy answer as it can’t be proven wrong for years yet. Meanwhile, we continue to be the laughing stock of the code.

You’d think a solid first grade player like Taas isn’t gonna be happy to play Reggie’s next year + with Munro coming through doubt he would get extended, solid first grader that prob wouldn’t be on much coin… I could see him asking for a release

Once more, as has been explained to you already, we aren’t talking about who is available now. The recruitment team works all year round you realise?

That is the point being made. Where were we when the doors were still open?
You are sooking about members being upset that we haven’t signed anyone of note, yet your trump is we have to bank on juniors?
It’s a lazy answer as it can’t be proven wrong for years yet. Meanwhile, we continue to be the laughing stock of the code.
Yes it’s no guarantee the best young players become the best NRL players, but I’d much rather have them on our books, than not have them at all.
Players such as Bula, Pole, Fainu x2, Da Silva, Laulilli x2, Galvin, Miller, Faagatu, Mason and then the younger ones such as Large x2 and Makasini just to name a few, are players that would have no problem getting on the books of any of our rival 16 NRL clubs.
Even if 3 or 4 of them live up to their potential, become elite NRL players on their position and stay with us we will have done extremely well.
Better judges than me strongly believe at least 6-7 of this crop will well and truly live up to their potential at NRL level.
If this assumption is correct, we will have a very good side in our hands within a couple of seasons, we just need to be patient as we cannot expect t all of them to be superstars at 18-21 years of age.

Last edited:
You’d think a solid first grade player like Taas isn’t gonna be happy to play Reggie’s next year + with Munro coming through doubt he would get extended, solid first grader that prob wouldn’t be on much coin… I could see him asking for a release
I agree that he’s one that could jump at a good money contract elsewhere.

Reasoning, he brings experience & leadership to a young backline. Bringing in a player of his calibre instils confidence in players around him. Given his age, we'd only offer him 2 years so it would not halt the progress of future pathways talents (that 2 years should help the development of T'oa, Tupou, Feledy etc & also help progress fellow indigenous backs Naden & Reilly). He would help the club use up some of the salary cap we have to use. Yes he is prone to the odd error but is still quick & a good tackle-breaker, fairly good defensively & these positives far outweigh the negatives I believe.

He would help us use our cap?

Agree mate..

I have said for a while now it's hard to buy all these quality players people want when they are NOT available.

Considering what we are doing and position we are in I think we have done a pretty good job. We clearly had halves problems so went out and brought 3 with big wraps on 2 of them and its better than running Wakeham out each week or Api in the halves. If we had better halves this year, we don't get the spoon and people would see the progress we are making.

We need to pick up some outside backs which we all agree but there are some positives for the year.
1. Bula was a find and a half
2. We somehow extended Api and he is a deadset top line player
3. Debuted a few very good players this year
4. We have offloaded some more average players who just take up spots
5. Next year we are back at our real home as contact is up so better home court advantage

I'm a believer and think we are heading in the right direction so happy to see how it goes.

Plus, its only early and would expect more player in and out before season starts.
The GF was a good case study in the value of good halves, no matter what their age. The 32 year old veteran was very good, the 25 year old a superstar and the 20 year old was MOM with 5 minutes to go. We don't know how good ours will be next year so it's unfortunately wait and see. One has played in a GF, the others....? One or two good ones could ignite the current backline which, if we can get field position like we did this year, could quite easily get us into the eight.

We’ve often had decent juniors. The main issue is not our inability to keep them. It’s being able to properly develop/progress them. We have been horrendous at developing younger players into first graders, fringe first graders into average first graders, and average first graders into good first graders. I’d say the worst in the comp since the WT inception. (This issue is also evident when we sign first graders from other clubs. Their form mostly declines once they are at WT.) Because we can’t develop players, we have a losing team/culture and therefore players with talent (often young players) leave and go elsewhere.

I am very concerned about Benji’s, Robbie’s and Heighno’s ability to develop our current juniors (Morris thankfully has some runs on the board). Failure to develop and retain this crop of juniors will set the club back for another 5 to 10 years which I believe will put the future of the club in jeopardy.

Shell be right

The GF was a good case study in the value of good halves, no matter what their age. The 32 year old veteran was very good, the 25 year old a superstar and the 20 year old was MOM with 5 minutes to go. We don't know how good ours will be next year so it's unfortunately wait and see. One has played in a GF, the others....? One or two good ones could ignite the current backline which, if we can get field position like we did this year, could quite easily get us into the eight.
Reynolds sucks

Back