Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Sounds a lot like just about everyone who has been in our top 30 since.
I think we are an unknown at best in 2024.

Rookie coach, entirely new halves pairing, 2nd year fullback, 18 year old back up hooker, 35 year old halfback, 21 year old 5/8. None of these guys have played any footy together.

Strap yourselves in for a wild ride. Think we will see plenty of rocks and diamonds, not too dissimilar to our coaches playing style.

Sorry, @2041 , I meant to hit reply, but it didn't go through. So a good, ol' tag it is...

You say that like the salary cap doesn't exist.
No, I'm not. I'm fully aware of the implications of paying a lot of money for a half. The current structure of our salary cap easily allows us to account for the numbers being spoken about and it is not that far from the going rate for halves in the competition.

if we signed Luai but were paying him, say, $6m a year I'm sure we'd all agree that would be a terrible idea - it would mean every single other player on the roster would have to be on minimum salary. If we signed Luai for $250,000 a year, by contrast, I'm sure even the biggest doubters would say that was a cracking bit of business.

Reductio Ad Absurdum. A textbook logical fallacy.

That is not the situation. Not even close to the situation. You've exaggerated the situation in an attempt to test logical consistency, but this argument is a fallacy because it removes context from the situation and is irrelevant to the outcome being discussed. Luai, if offered a contract, will be offered in the realms of $1.1- 1.4 million dollars a year, so that is the value that should be the for or against.

Here's an example of why: the Broncos signed Adam Reynolds for $800,000 a year. Is Luai $600,000 "better" than Adam Reynolds? I guess you could argue it. But I bet the Broncos were glad they had a bit of wiggle room when Reece Walsh became available a year later...

Unfortunately, it's not that simple due to any number of factors, not least of all; current market, need for position, allure of the club they're signing with, how well their team cap is balanced, etc.

... I get your point, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think it's irrelevant for the most part. When I made the original post, the subtext for it was that we all generally understand he will come at a significant cost.

If the counter for that is that he will be far too expensive for what he'll bring then so be it; that's a legitimate retort. But it won't be $6 million per year, so let's not muddy up the discussion waters.

Last edited:

Rookie coach, entirely new halves pairing, 2nd year fullback, 18 year old back up hooker, 35 year old halfback, 21 year old 5/8. None of these guys have played any footy together.

Strap yourselves in for a wild ride. Think we will see plenty of rocks and diamonds, not too dissimilar to our coaches playing style.
Could be 3x Spoons in a row.

Actually looking forward to it but we need some speedy backline signings who have some idea about how to defend if we want to get off the bottom rung of the ladder.

talented kid but not in the same league as Luke Laulili’i, Makasini, Craig etc, imo.
Mikey Nasser is a pretty bad loss, outstanding fullback that averaged over 200m a game. Scored 5 tries in 3 games a year young in 2022 and backed it up in 2023 scoring 6. Also got picked in NSW CHS Union 18s at 15 years old. Apparently had 9 clubs after him. Would have made Australian schoolboys this but got injured at CHS trial. Kid is 16 years old 6'2, got best & fairest at Tigers and runs the 100m in under 10.8 secs. We need to keep all these kids. This kid going to roosters or dogs is going to be a Ryan Papz type loss in 3 years.

Never heard of him, but I would doubt he runs sub 11 seconds at 16yo.
Kid must have lightening bolts instead of feet.
If anyone knows Benji Marshall ask the chief what he thinks of Mikey Nasser. I spoke to him and he thinks it a massive loss. I watch 6 or 7 of their games this years and the kid is lightning fast, the dad owns Pain Away and makes sure his kid is kept out of the limelight. There is a video out on Facebook the kid is very fast.

He does run the 100m in under 10.8 secs my son used to go to school with him. And the kid has one of the biggest boots in footy had 10 fropout restarts from his kickoffs and in a video on facebook kicked a drop out nearly 60m on the fly. Very bad recruitment at the Tigers. I am try to get the video.

Hang on; there's a rumor that a player, currently 26, who plays in the halves, has 3 premiership rings and has played 7 origins, could be a realistic target for the club, yet people are not a fan of the idea...

Have I got that correct?

Oh dear.
sign Luai any time he becomes available and fit him in to either 6 or 7

He does run the 100m in under 10.8 secs my son used to go to school with him. And the kid has one of the biggest boots in footy had 10 fropout restarts from his kickoffs and in a video on facebook kicked a drop out nearly 60m on the fly. Very bad recruitment at the Tigers. I am try to get the video.

Here is a video of Mikey Nasser from Mace Karhani's video. Kid is very quick.

If anyone knows Benji Marshall ask the chief what he thinks of Mikey Nasser. I spoke to him and he thinks it a massive loss. I watch 6 or 7 of their games this years and the kid is lightning fast, the dad owns Pain Away and makes sure his kid is kept out of the limelight. There is a video out on Facebook the kid is very fast.
I know it's disappointing to lose particularly Nasser & Conti but we don't know what sort of commitment they wanted to stay with us.

Maybe the club decided to prioritise a few other 15 - 17yos in the backs - Onitoni & Ashton Large, Luke Laulilii, Heamasi Makasini, Alex Isdale, Ali Karnib, Riley Oitmann, Thomas Goodfield.

I know it's disappointing to lose particularly Nasser & Conti but we don't know what sort of commitment they wanted to stay with us.

Maybe the club decided to prioritise a few other 15 - 17yos in the backs - Onitoni & Ashton Large, Luke Laulilii, Heamasi Makasini, Alex Isdale, Ali Karnib, Riley Oitmann, Thomas Goodfield.
Agree and to back that up we are NOT going to keep everyone. Player Managers will do what's best for them and their relationships. IMO we are building nicely.

It’s never good losing talented young players to other clubs, but you would have to think Wests Tigers wanted to keep them and they have been offered more money elsewhere, is that correct ?

Back