Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I spoke to the dad last week about it. They didnt know he was off contract until July a few months after the Matts season finished. Hopefully Bronson Harrison can fill the gaps quickly so it doesnt happen again, there are some great kid coming through Wests and Balmain in the next few years.
Let’s hope he’s back in Wests Tigers colours within the next couple of seasons.

I spoke to the dad last week about it. They didnt know he was off contract until July a few months after the Matts season finished. Hopefully Bronson Harrison can fill the gaps quickly so it doesnt happen again, there are some great kid coming through Wests and Balmain in the next few years.

So the nuts and bolts of it is the Balmain side of things is getting neglected? If thats the truth i don't see why they don't just make Ball, Fleg ect WT have the best of the best in one team. Theres no point in having 2 talent pools and the forgetting one exists, thats worse than not having one at all imo.
Another factor to all this is, supposedly Fulton has an eye on all the top talents in the West maybe he has some even younger ones identified.
Either way things still seem to be woefully disjointed and for a "Development club" thats criminal, hope this review can also highlight such inadequacies.

So admin issue? I don't get it. How could a war with benji and fulton benefit either side by letting a junior go?

Conti & Nasser wouldnt have any expectations of even thinking about first grade. Conti is two years younger than Galvin and Nasser is only 16 years old. They would have aspirations and dreams of playing first grade but they know its a few years away. The missing point is if you know you have great juniors, keep them in your system. Both were offloaded for the wrong reasons and that was because there is war happening between Marshall and Fulton.
Conti left for a top 30 spot at the dogs so he is thinking about first grade

How did it work in the days before there was a top 30? When first grade had 2 fresh reserves and 2 from reserve grade (or lower) sitting on the bench, hoping for a run in the top grade. Were they just signed to the club? Any limit on numbers? Why can't we go back to that? If we have a cap of $x and we spend ours on 35 players and another team spends theirs on 28, what should be the issue? Of is it to save clubs from themselves? i.e. spending big on a core 17 and hoping for no injuries?

Anyway....

Conti and Nasser are gone.

Next.
I think this is a good discussion to have,

Some very important questions need answers.

• Are we retaining the Juniors that we want.?
  • Is the Wests tigers a desire place to play 1st grade?
  • How do we stop our juniors taking less Money to play for Melb, Rosters etc???

Lol I should be paid!!! My son is best mates with him and it just burns me being a Tigers supporter we lose kids for no reason. I am too too late to the party I only found out he signed with Roosters 3 months ago and I started asking questions WHY WHY WHY !!! I wouldve signed him and COnti in a heartbeat.
As incompetent as we have been for a long time , I’m very sure that we are snapping up the best kids we can . The Fainu brothers , Galvin , large brothers , miller , Luallii brothers , Mason etc. So I really , really have to think these something else afoot , if he is as talented as you say .
Who is his manager may I ask ?

Of course.

Those two names have been exhausted now and 'round in circles', 'done to death' and 'flogging a dead horse' would all be understatements.

That was the point of my post.

As incompetent as we have been for a long time , I’m very sure that we are snapping up the best kids we can . The Fainu brothers , Galvin , large brothers , miller , Luallii brothers , Mason etc. So I really , really have to think these something else afoot , if he is as talented as you say .
Who is his manager may I ask ?
Exactly.

All the top tier talent has been retained.

1. categorically yes. while losing Conti and Nassar is disappointing, you have to look at recruitment and retention in the halves. Fainu and Sullivan have signed, Galvin's in the top 30 and Onitoni Large is regarded as the future of the club. i've had a feeling for a little while that the club has also prioritised Alex Isdale over Conti, and there's also young Jonas Peni who looks to have a big future.

Luke Laulili'i has been prioritised over Nassar, simple as that. there's also William Craig, Makasini, Heath Mason and others that are contracted to the club that are in the backs.

2. I believe Benji along with Api, Klem, Bateman and others are turning the culture of the club around. throw in a number of local juniors who have always supported the club and suddenly you have a place where these youngsters want to play. no issues here.

3. it comes down to ensuring they feel wanted and are well looked after. given the size of our junior base, kids are going to fall thru the cracks sometimes. the key is to show that there is a path to first grade if you're good enough (we've done that – look at TDS and Kit) and lock up those that we want to keep. as local juniors, they will have had an affiliation with the club in some form.

while they may not support us due to our lack of success, being in development squads with their mates and doing clinics with the club does a lot to encourage youngsters. ultimately the ground we've made in the pathways space over the last couple of years has helped immeasurably, and given the golden generation coming thru in the next few years, it will be very exciting times rather shortly.

Last edited:

Re conti think it come down to McDonnell putting too many kids in the top 30.

With those kids already in the 30 no way we could offertory 30 like the dogs.

You can't keep all of them, some will be offered better opportunities at other clubs i.e. Top 30 or Development spots, whereas we wouldn't be able to.

Just have to hope we're retaining the right players.

In Nassar's case, it looks like we've prioritised retaining Luke Laulilii over him.

In Conti's case, Dogs simply might've offered him a Development spot for 2024 (or future Development/Top 30 spot) that we weren't prepared to, or we might've decided to prioritise Alex Isdale, who's a year younger.

Last edited:
Wests Tigers junior Masei Tavui has been charged with murder.

Tavui, 19, was charged with one count of murder on Tuesday following the death of Dejan “Danny the Serb” Radulovic on July 29.

Radulovic was killed after he was allegedly shot and stabbed on Donnelly St in Balmain in Sydney’s inner-west following an altercation with two men.

The backrower has come through the Wests Tigers junior ranks, playing Harold Matthews and SG Ball.

Tavui was arrested after riot squad police raided his Austral home at 7:15am and executed a search warrant.

Conti left for a top 30 spot at the dogs so he is thinking about first grade
Plus he had Anasta feeding Buzz info so he could bag the Tigers in his Ssssh section. Buzz was even embellishing by saying Conti was Aus Schoolboys

Reactions: 851
Back