Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I suppose it comes down to what options you have - Bellamy (who everyone bangs on about being the greatest coach of all time) moves arguably the best DH in the comp to no 7, moves probably the best no. 14 in the comp to 9 - result - they get flogged. Why did he do it - supposedly he had no one he considered good enough in the lower grades to slot straight in to the 7.
The well must be running dry.

I think we all agree that Brooks can’t manage a game , & never has had that skill , hence the results. However , he is a very good running 5/8 . That is his skill & always has been . Going good now.
Not Brooksy's fault this brain dead club couldn't see it and failed year after year to come up with a halves partner that could run the team and call the shots.

What they did instead was declare each year that it was Luke's team while the poor guy stared into the media cameras looking like a deer in the headlights.

They even brain washed him into declaring it was his team on a few occassions, although it was far from convincing coming from his mouth.

Thank god we managed to get Jackson Hastings so that Luke can be released of all that pressure and just get on with doing what he does best.

Makes sense.

Sheens mention anything else of note?
Tim spoke for over 3 hours and was very generous with his time. Emma Lawrence was the interviewer. He spoke very well as usual but when asked about the Junior Reps he was quite positive & Young was the one mentioned. He did say they are starting to see more rugby school kids coming through to league (e.g. Illias to Souths and presumably others from schools like Joeys to WTs). He was particularly happy with the numbers that applied for Junior Reps this year across the board.

Made some interesting comments:

• Prefers the term "supporter" to "fan" as fans blow from side to side!
  • He views the ability to attack more important than defence (referenced 2005) with individual players;
  • Whilst he may not always agree with the coach, he would never steamroll them with his views a la other clubs;
  • He is not keen to risk AD come back this year ("knees are like wet cement") or others that have recently had knee issues such as Blore but the club will listen to the medicos about any clearance;
  • Pretty sure Crichton was mentioned that WTs had had discussions but a lot of this can be their manager driving up prices with their existing club;
  • Doesn't believe young talent should be asking for the inflated amounts their managers are seeking until they prove themselves into their mid-late 20s - I certainly got the impression he is not a fan (or should I say 'supporter') of quite of few of these managers!;
  • Frustration pointed out around the timing of COE but certainly wasn't indicating that he thought it will change things overnight but a "nice to have" attracting future talent;
  • The club does have a plan to get back to glory days - I must admit I wasn't clear exactly what that was but there were a few distractions in the room.
Anyway, probably haven't given the forum any new observations with this post. I did think he spoke impressively and positively (without rose coloured glasses) which gave me hope. There were no inappropriate stories and the ones he did tell were quite funny. He hung around after he finished to talk to people who went up and thanked him for the night.

Certainly, he has his heart in the right place. He was asked how long he was going to stay at the club and he joked that it was a contract for 3 years but that it can be as short as one year these days or if all goes well hopefully extended.

Last edited:
Tim spoke for over 3 hours and was very generous with his time. Emma Lawrence was the interviewer. He spoke very well as usual but when asked about the Junior Reps he was quite positive & Young was the one mentioned. He did say they are starting to see more rugby school kids coming through to league (e.g. Illias to Souths and presumably others from schools like Joeys to WTs). He was particularly happy with the numbers that applied for Junior Reps this year across the board.

Made some interesting comments:

• Prefers the term "supporter" to "fan" as fans blow from side to side!
  • He views the ability to attack more important than defence (referenced 2005) with individual players;
  • Whilst he may not always agree with the coach, he would never steamroll them with his views a la other clubs;
  • He is not keen to risk AD come back this year ("knees are like wet cement") or others that have recently had knee issues such as Blore but the club will listen to the medicos about any clearance;
  • Pretty sure Crichton was mentioned that WTs had had discussions but a lot of this can be manager driving up prices with their existing club;
  • Doesn't believe young talent should be asking for the inflated amounts their managers are asking until they prove themselves into their mid-late 20s;
  • Frustration pointed out around the timing of COE but certainly wasn't indicating that he thought it will change things overnight but a "nice to have" attracting future talent;
  • The club does have a plan to get back to glory days - I must admit I wasn't clear exactly what that was but there were a few distractions in the room.
Anyway, probably haven't given the forum any new observations with this post. I did think he spoke impressively and positively (without rose coloured glasses) which gave me hope. There were no inappropriate stories and the ones he did tell were quite funny. He hung around after he finished to talk to people who went up and thanked him for the night.

Certainly, he has his heart in the right place. He was asked how long he was going to stay at the club and he joked that it was a contract for 3 years but that it can be as short as one year these days or if all goes well hopefully extended.

Thank you appreciate your post.

It's very emotive because madge is such a good bloke.

But if we look at the facts, post review, the club have taken away Madge's control. They had to tell him to delegate to the other coaches and have seen improvements.

Madge hires his cronies as assistant coaches which were just terrible. Did the same at souths I'm pretty sure.

To turn the club into winners do we really want a coach who has to be told how to coach. The coach should be doing these things already.

Chammas also mentioned api and papali pretty much just came for the money and players won't come for less until we start winning again. Said generally the players never leave the club for the coach.

I'd say he 100 percent has contacts at the club, did you watch it?
ah Wait... What!
"Madge hires his cronies as assistant coaches which were just terrible. Did the same at souths I'm pretty sure."

Yea like Anthony Siebold, who pushed Souths to 3rd! Yes he collapsed in Brizzie but you can come to conclusions as to why.

Here we get Nathan Cayless

Honestly I dont' think McGuire is nuking us with bad assistants. (maybe he did this to Brizzie :)

The
All this Brooks bashing is rediculous. 1,6,7,9 are critical and opposition sides target these players. Has Brooks reached the heights of the best ?--NO! but he has always been one of our best. With an ordinary pack, lousy fullbacks, ordinary hookers 5/8s and locks, the biggest threat to opposition sides was Brooks, so the attention from the opposition was always on him. Playing with such a lousy side would not give him much confidence. With Hastings coming, its taken a lot of this pressure away, i think he will get better as the side improves and the unfounded attacks diminish.
The critical analysis will continue whilst he earns Marquee money without Marquee performance. He's on money where he should be the lead man, the star of the show. It's taken for someone else to come in on less than half his wage and take his role in the side for Luke Brooks to start playing to NRL standard. He still doesn't provide any value for money. That's everyone's issue. It's not personal. I'd give anything for him to play to his salary. It'd mean the Tigers had a star player winning us games

Are there any other halves in the comp who haven’t played semis or rep who are on close to a million a year?

I think we all agree that Brooks can’t manage a game , & never has had that skill , hence the results. However , he is a very good running 5/8 . That is his skill & always has been . Going good now.
I don't disagree with that. My issue has always been he's getting paid way above his output (way above his recent decent games at 5/8). The fact he's statistically a worse defender this year than Hastings and Madden is very worrysome though. The 8 missed tackles against Manly was diabolical

ah Wait... What!
"Madge hires his cronies as assistant coaches which were just terrible. Did the same at souths I'm pretty sure."

Yea like Anthony Siebold, who pushed Souths to 3rd! Yes he collapsed in Brizzie but you can come to conclusions as to why.

Here we get Nathan Cayless

Honestly I dont' think McGuire is nuking us with bad assistants. (maybe he did this to Brizzie :)
Last year's assistants were useless. I honestly think the experience of Siebold knifing him made him gun shy, and this led Madge into employing useless yes men that were never going to be able to get his job in a million years. Club saw through it and sacked said assistants

Members online

Back