Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

So pretty much bad news all round.

Who exactly are we planning to spend all our money on? We seem well under the cap this year, heaps of space for next year, and yet we're still still looking around for scraps. It's not good enough. If we can't sign a few good solid first graders for next season there needs to be a complete overhaul of the football department in the off season. Such failure cannot be tolerated.

Any idea if the likes of Kautoga are signed up for a few seasons? Clubs could sign him from november if not, and we need to lock down our best
Let me guess, your not confident for improvement looking forward. 😉
This would be the same sentiments for the majority of tiger fans....year after year we are served up rubbish that we are expected to put up with.
Hanging their hat on the recruitment of Api and Papa doesn't cut it, not by a country mile.
BB you deserve to be angry and feel let down, we all do.

I had KPIs for most of my business career but not sure that applies to football.
If not, it should, and as you can’t manage what you can’t measure, all these guys should have a review, say monthly, to see if there’s improvement or not.
I'd say simpler ones exist. Play x games (like Woods at drags this yr), make rep team incentives.
There needs to be more tho.
100% of salary for win, 30% for loss.
Betcha we'd win a lot more

We need to start recognising which players have it! and which players don't
I think the players breakdown into just a few categories
1. NRL level footballer with instinctive skills and in form and working hard
2. Same as above only temporarily out of form or playing unmotivated
3. Players that are just not NRL level footballers no instinct error prone and just do their best but its a struggle .These types will never win you a game
4. Same as in 3. but seem totally out of their depth

We have in our roster a few in the top 2 categories like Laurie ,Nofo, Kenny
, Hastings , Douehi, and maybe Brooks?
Also Joffa,Steph, Nubrown ,Twal and maybe Musgrove and Pole
I don't care about those playing elsewhere next year
We have too many in categories 3. And 4.
The category 2 players we can do something with like coaching but players that just don't have enough footy smarts or skill just will not help the club turnaround
PS : their are some I just don't know yet like Rua and Blore

I personally think the future plan is for Hastings to play lock like a half-back (first receiver) with two 5/8s on each side of him. Even with Hastings injured I think that's the game plan going forward. Nu Brown playing that role this weekend seems to suggest this.

With that in mind, then if Douehi leaves, we replace him with Dylan Brown or if we don't get him but we get Staines (and if he beats out Laurie in FB, which I'm not yet convinced he will) then Laurie plays 5/8 alongside Brooks on the other side.

I can see that game plan working like it did for our two last victories over Cowboys and Broncos, but means Hastings is key to everything.

I'd say simpler ones exist. Play x games (like Woods at drags this yr), make rep team incentives.
There needs to be more tho.
100% of salary for win, 30% for loss.
Betcha we'd win a lot more
Mine used to be 50/50. 50 for team objective and 50 for individual.
It certainly made you put a rocket up the team, and yourself !

Reactions: PJ2
Mixture of good/bad news:

Few questions asked about junior players signed up, the following below names have committed to the club.

Kade Hill
Luke Laulilii
Kit Laulilii
Jordan Miller
Tallyn Da Silva
Tajh Colquhoun
Livai Saukuru
Apisalome Saukuru Development Deal 2023
Kitione Kautoga Development Deal 2023
Michael Tannous & CJ Mundine (being discussed for other development spots for 2023)

Re-signing News:

As well reported Adam Doueihi has put contract talks on hold for the time being, this is not going down well with some management & don't want to get involved in a bidding war.

Joe Ofahengaue's management recently rejected latest contract offer, Dolphin's & Storm in frame, not looking good.

Brandon Tumeth & Fa'amanu Brown re-signing should be announced soon.

Tommy Talau will be one Train & Trial deal over the off-season (Similar To Roberts last off-season), has had offers from 1 other club but want's to return the faith.

Jackson Hastings: Important meeting scheduled in the next week where the 1st official contract offer is expected to be presented. Confidant a deal will be done.

Madden looks all but done to the Panthers.

Gildart, Peachey, Simpkins, & Liddle all expected to be gone over the off-season as previously reported.

Player Signings:

Cameron Munster has not been discussed or met with the club, salary cap suicide to tie up that much money in one player in the hope they are the savor.

Phoenix Crossland is being discussed as a replacement signing for Madden to cover in the halves.

Jason Batman: Discussions have been had but the transfer fee has all but killed this from happening, unless it drops a fair bit it won't be happening.

Jack Murchie, Matt Doorey & Jackson Topine have all be discussed in recent recruitment for forward depth.

Aaron Woods looks less likely to join the club, "positive" discussions had a few weeks ago but crickets since (hopefully stays that way)

Charlies Staines is a good chance to come on board for 2023 but only if Panthers come to the party. Club is willing to match his salary at Panthers over 2 years if Panthers put in $150k for year 1 & 100k for year 2. So far this has been well received.

Nathan Brown similar to the above in relation to Eels coming in the with the right $
Don't see this deal coming through.

Clubs main priority for 2023 recruitment is a experienced (not old) starting 2nd rower.
Hopefully able to sign one for 2024 & gain an early release.

Andrew Fifita: Nothing has been officially mentioned about making a play for him. Personally would prefer him over Woods.

As for November 1, Liam Martin & Dylan Brown as going to the be the clubs Number 1 targets.
The club will not sit idle & wait for Doueihi, if he's not willing to commit then the club is prepared to offer a decent deal for Brown (Benji is a big fan). A impact forward is also on this list, but not willing to blow the budget. Hoping the young forwards coming through can fill this need.

Fans won't want to hear this but 2023 salary cap wise is going to be about getting it in an even healthier position for 2024, so the right kids can be kept & a chance to bring in the better players we need, unless a big fish "like Brooks" was moved on & cleared a large amount of money not expecting a big fish signing as such for 2023.
OK. Travel plans for next year get higher prioritisation.
Not shooting the messenger - updates always appreciated.

Back