Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I doubt that very much
You are correct.

While he tacitly acknowledged it was a long shot - he specifically did not rule out the Tigers.

And if he had done so - it would have been negligent in his role as manager where he is legally obliged to canvas all options and offers.

This enables them to use any over-bid by the Tigers or Redcliffe etc as leverage for negotiations with their preferred destination club.

Munster or Moses will not be coming to the Tigers. It's naive to believe they would. It's clear managers leak to the media to jack up the asking price for the teams their players actually want to go to. Not to say we shouldn't try... but it's not going to happen. Top line players in the prime of their careers will not come.

The media, particularly Fox know full well what is happening. Way too many have conflicts of interest to be neutral.

You are correct.

While he tacitly acknowledged it was a long shot - he specifically did not rule out the Tigers.

And if he had done so - it would have been negligent in his role as manager where he is legally obliged to canvas all options and offers.

This enables them to use any over-bid by the Tigers or Redcliffe etc as leverage for negotiations with their preferred destination club.
That's not the episode I'm referring to.

Munster or Moses will not be coming to the Tigers. It's naive to believe they would. It's clear managers leak to the media to jack up the asking price for the teams their players actually want to go to. Not to say we shouldn't try... but it's not going to happen. Top line players in the prime of their careers will not come.

The media, particularly Fox know full well what is happening. Way too many have conflicts of interest to be neutral.

Sure, our WT are far from being the favourite for such big name signings.

That said, not even a year has passed since the vast majority would have said the same things about Koroisau and Papali'i, yet both have WT contracts registered with the NRL for the next couple of seasons or more.

Naive? Yeah, somewhat, but certainly not impossible for the club to land either for 2024 if still available and dollars tabled.

It's been raised before but good for a rehash rugba.
It was mentioned that Phil Gould should not have an opinion on 100%footy and be connected to other clubs....now with the dogs. He was the one advocating we were crazy offering Cameron Ciraldo 5 years and big money...look what the dogs have gone and done.
You can throw in Munsters manager hosting NRL 360 and there are others. Braith told Kent that Munster had no chance of coming to the tigers.
In fairness to Anasta, he keeps it pretty balanced and I don’t think he promotes his players on the show.

What Gould did is a bit out of line.

Sure, our WT are far from being the favourite for such big name signings.

That said, not even a year has passed since the vast majority would have said the same things about Koroisau and Papali'i, yet both have WT contracts registered with the NRL for the next couple of seasons or more.

Naive? Yeah, somewhat, but certainly not impossible for the club to land either for 2024 if still available and dollars tabled.
Agreed Papali'i and Koroisau are both fantastic signings. I would argue that Koroisau is probably heading toward the back end of his career and we might not get the best out of him. But I would be happy to be proven wrong the next 3 years!

I think we probably gave the impression of a slightly more stable club when they both signed. Things have deteriorated since then, and the perception of the club within media, players and ours and other clubs fans make us a pretty unattractive proposition.

I acknowledge all it takes is one good season to flip things though and pick up some real momentum.

Money talks. Tigers shown they're willing to offer players a longer contract to get a player.

In fairness to Anasta, he keeps it pretty balanced and I don’t think he promotes his players on the show.

I agree mate, I like Braith.
There would be a bit of talk offset though. If people don't believe that, they have their head in the sand.
In one episode of 360, in the segment of 'Ask Kenty' ..Braith read out a fans letter that asked if Munster is a chance to play for the Weststigers and Kenty looked at Braith and smiled and said...'no way'
When asked by Braith why not he smiled again and said I know someone and he said noway. So he's telling Munsters manager noway??
If people don't believe Braith told Paul this being Musters manager trying to drum up business then that's crazy.
Surely Braith new the question from the fan or the question could have been scripted.
Getting back to the point about media personalities being involved with a club or players...this is an example of them manipulating their position for personal gain. If it wasn't and was purely coincidental then it's still wrong.

Money talks. Tigers shown they're willing to offer players a longer contract to get a player.
It's true money talks and I don't doubt that we could get decent first graders on overs if we wanted to. I think the club have acknowledged this is not the way to success though. I'm just very sceptical that top line players at the peak of their careers e.g Munster, Moses would come and spend the next 3 years playing for us no matter the offer, as it stands. Not to say we shouldn't try... but the fact it always seems to be in the media is a pretty good insight into what the true motivations are.

I agree mate, I like Braith.
There would be a bit of talk offset though. If people don't believe that, they have their head in the sand.
In one episode of 360, in the segment of 'Ask Kenty' ..Braith read out a fans letter that asked if Munster is a chance to play for the Weststigers and Kenty looked at Braith and smiled and said...'no way'
When asked by Braith why not he smiled again and said I know someone and he said noway. So he's telling Munsters manager noway??
If people don't believe Braith told Paul this being Musters manager trying to drum up business then that's crazy.
Surely Braith new the question from the fan or the question could have been scripted.
Getting back to the point about media personalities being involved with a club or players...this is an example of them manipulating their position for personal gain. If it wasn't and was purely coincidental then it's still wrong.
I thought Braith is his manager? Didn’t know he was a fan 🤣

He only has Munster... Maybe one other first grader... Some. Juniors and some golfers I think from Memory... But I agree with you he's diplomatic when they're talking munster/contracts

Then don't sign a contract 18 months in advance.
And from the club's perspective if you sign a player 18 months in advance and you go backwards from then on, are in the wooden spoon position, and are talking about another two/three year rebuild - don't expect the player to not be questioning or regretful about the decision - especially when his current club is about to play in a premium final.

Latest posts

Back