Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Actually I'm interested to understand why, in previous years, if Tigers went for a player and missed out, for some fans it was some big issue about Tigers lack of pulling power (which is only to be expected for a struggling club) and apparently some kind of terminal embarrassment that we couldn't seal the deal.

But 2022/23, we are similarly being linked to many high-profile players, and either confirming or not denying it in public, and yet not executing those deals is OK?

It all depends on your perspective. I think our recruitment has been pretty good for a while because I view the signings of players like Packer and Reynolds and to a lesser extent Mbye as being club killers.

We've signed Api and IP on fair dollars for next season.

I'm also not confident on signing any good players on fair dollars. I can see us signing Bateman and Moses on massive contracts and they both are hopeless and we repeat this season next season. I suppose it's hard to know when a contract is a good one for the fans.

Actually I'm interested to understand why, in previous years, if Tigers went for a player and missed out, for some fans it was some big issue about Tigers lack of pulling power (which is only to be expected for a struggling club) and apparently some kind of terminal embarrassment that we couldn't seal the deal.

But 2022/23, we are similarly being linked to many high-profile players, and either confirming or not denying it in public, and yet not executing those deals is OK?

It’s about timing. If we fail to nab a big name that we are chasing hard for 100% the narrative will switch.

So far we haven’t been successful in Munster which no one thought that was really a possibility, If Klemmer/Leniu/Moses and a few others slip through & the only news is extending Brooks the club will get hammered.

I also think the difference atm is we are moving on alot of the right players as well, the vibe roster wise is more positive based on the exits and the good kids extending.

November 1 tomorrow, meaning:

- Start of the season 2023
- New signings officially join the club
- Non-contracted players officially depart
- Players can sign contracts for 2024
- Preseason training starts for rookies and players on train + trial

Tigers have lacked a reliable long kicking game for years. Brooks has really gone away from it, AD has the spiral bombs but hasn’t shown much, JH has a good short kicking game but no long kicking game.

Every club plays the same recruiting/retention game.
Hindsight says everything - but not practical.
Forward vision required.
Pathways is the only solution - and even then roster management is crucial.
Sheens is one of the smartest, and he's going to be mentoring Benji.
I feel more confidence now than all the years of Taylor-ball, Cleary letdowns and Madge limits.
Will things be perfect - they never are!
But I like the sound of a new and different playing style.

Will it ?

I think Brooks is okay but geez a lot of people on this forum can't stand him and he does take the wrong option a lot of times. Hastings is slow with a poor long kicking game. Doueihi is awesome at times but goes missing about 80% of the time. Laurie is more consistent than Doueihi but he played one top tier game last season. Laurie to be fair is probably on significantly less money than the other three players.

We lost Tedesco and Moses and Woods who at that point was playing really well for us in one season and I think we basically improved the following season.
Who knows...

But if we end up with Flanagan, Dufty and Cogger as part of our spine in 24, will you be happy?

In the Knights supporters forum, they are saying they are swapping Klemmer for Haas .. :oops: ..

I thought we had him .. :(
Sounds like wishful thinking on their part.

If by some miracle that it does come to fruition and we miss out on Klemmer because we didn't want to part with a low IQ, poor excuse of a halfback midget who has failed for 9 years, we deserve the spoon again.

In the Knights supporters forum, they are saying they are swapping Klemmer for Haas .. :oops: ..

I thought we had him .. :(
Didn't Klemmer want to come to Sydney? Realistically, with the contract he is on his new club would have to have the space to fit him in.

The club has probably bought themselves some goodwill with the release of some bog average players.

Every club plays the same recruiting/retention game.
Hindsight says everything - but not practical.
Forward vision required.
Pathways is the only solution - and even then roster management is crucial.
Sheens is one of the smartest, and he's going to be mentoring Benji.
I feel more confidence now than all the years of Taylor-ball, Cleary letdowns and Madge limits.
Will things be perfect - they never are!
But I like the sound of a new and different playing style.

Pathways is fine, but even Penrith had older heads (Maloney, Merrin, Tamou et al,) who helped bring that crop of juniors through.

Some have an axe they like to grind when they hear certain names involed in recruiting/ coaching/ managing is probably the simplest answer.

Reactions: 851
Back