Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Interesting?!
I guess they know what the dogs have, but we’re an unknown with heaps of cap space waiting for that first domino drop?
dogs don't have a halfback or that ball playing lock
We have for 2023 13, 7 and 6 all with first grade experience add to that a hooker as good or better than Mahoney and a good second rower in Papali
I would say we are chance to finish ahead of Bulldogs in 2023

Interesting?!
I guess they know what the dogs have, but we’re an unknown with heaps of cap space waiting for that first domino drop?
Storm are at $3.85 2nd favourite ....that i found extremely short ...yeah you get back Papps ...but you lose the Bromwiches ...Smith ....Kaufusi ...that will take a lot of adjustments in your D

Bulldogs' GM Phil Gould's $1M fight to keep Burton.

Multiple $1 million contracts will be waiting for Matt Burton when he returns from the World Cup - a figure that will blow Canterbury’s current offer out of the water.

If Phil Gould wants to lock up Matt Burton for the long term then the Bulldogs’ general manager better get ready to dig deep.

While most seem to be anticipating that Burton will end up staying at Canterbury to play under Cameron Ciraldo beyond 2023, it can be revealed rivals are still lining up to register their interest and make sure Burton is at least offered his market value.

And the fact is Burton will return from the World Cup in the coming weeks as rugby league’s next million dollar man in waiting.

Burton, 22, is on a reported $500,000 for this season but is tipped to command north of $1 million-a-season no matter where he signs to play in 2024.

It was speculated recently that the man with the biggest boot in the NRL was set to sign a four-year extension to stay at the Dogs worth $3 million ($750,000-a-season) - but that is well short of what Burton will realistically get.

In the wake of Cameron Munster recommitting to the Melbourne Storm, Burton has taken over top billing as the most wanted five-eighth still on the market for the 2024 NRL season.

That’s even ahead of the likes of South Sydney’s Cody Walker and Parramatta’s Dylan Brown who are also negotiating new deals.

It’s no secret that the Storm were ready to go after Burton if they didn’t secure Munster.

Naturally battling clubs like the Wests Tigers and Newcastle always get thrown up as possible destinations when players are looking to up their price.

But Burton is such an outrageously gifted talent that he would walk into pretty much any side in the comp, while still commanding top dollar even if he wanted to chase a premiership at one of the top clubs.

Burton’s agent David Riolo did not want to speculate about those possibilities but confirmed other clubs had already made their interest known.

Riolo was very careful not to disrespect the Bulldogs, and said at this stage he didn’t want it to become a distraction while Burton was in England on Australian duties.

“Matt is obviously overseas enjoying his first World Cup and as soon as he is back we will sort through it,” Riolo said.

“He is happy at the Dogs.

“He likes the new coach and he gets on with everyone there, so there is no issue for him at Canterbury.”

He would not go into detail about outside interest he had already received.

“I don’t want to speculate,” he said.

“Look, I understand there is a lot of interest and we will work through that.”

Asked if the deal was likely to be done before next season, Riolo added: “Generally with a player of his calibre and someone on the salary he is going to command those deals are done in good time because clubs need to know budgets.

“And if you have Matt Burton in your budget and you don’t get him, well, you have got a fair bit of money to spend, don’t you?

“So you can’t wait to the end of the year obviously because there won’t be any money left in people’s caps.

“He is a good kid. He is happy where he is.

“There is no reason why the Dogs won’t have a good shot at him.

“But it’s just he’s got to work through the process.” (DT)
Personally i think his price is over inflated. Played in a great Panthers team at centre, did okay at the dogs last year. 2023 he needs to lead the dogs to finals, no excuses. I think 800k is a fair price

Geez I hope we can get it done with Jacko showed real leadership qualities that this club desperately needed but one can only start to think he may have his nose put out of joint in regards to the Madge sacking and the shift to 13 from his beloved 7 and being told this is where he belongs. Hopefully his new found maturity and sense of purpose will get him fully back on board in his belief in the club and its future direction. A real chance of captain in waiting and a necessary component of the spine in driving us onwards and upwards.
There was lots of commentary before he started that he had been purchased as a 13 (pretty sure it was Sheens who was commenting even while Madge was coach) so not sure he is justified in getting his nose out of joint. Was only played in the halves early in the season due to Douehi still being out injured.

Burton is worth every cent to the Bulldogs because he is the player you build a team around. There are not many in the competition, even though some are paid that way.
yeah he will easily get a million. NSW/Aus rep great kick, smart player. I try not to like him due to Penrith and the dogs, but cant.

Sheens would be all over him.

Reactions: 851
just a number hasting plays first receiver like yeoh
two running five eights in Brooks and Burton woukd work
I know it’s just a number but Hastings is only playing first receiver because Brooks can’t do it effectively. If we had Burton we don’t need two running five eighths and we are not wasting a lock spot on somebody who has to babysit someone else’s position.

Reactions: 851
I know it’s just a number but Hastings is only playing first receiver because Brooks can’t do it effectively. If we had Burton we don’t need two running five eighths and we are not wasting a lock spot on somebody who has to babysit someone else’s position.
Hastings was signed as a 13 so see what happens Sheens wants that ball playing lock regardless of whether Brooks plays 7 or not don't think that changes

I honestly expected and hoped Seyfarth would kick on but it doesn’t look likely at all.
I was hoping to see a Nathan Brown in him, initially looked ok but that’s where it stopped.
Really? They've always been polar opposites to me. Brown was an extremely aggressive player with poor fitness and we let him go because he could only play short stints and was always getting penalised, suspended etc.
Seyfarth is an extremely timid player with decent fitness and a great attitude. Isn't aggressive or powerful enough to have an impact but trains really hard but just gets dominated when he runs the ball up

Hastings was signed as a 13 so see what happens Sheens wants that ball playing lock regardless of whether Brooks plays 7 or not don't think that changes
Sheenius has changed the was rugby league was played a few times I think he wants to do it again more attacking options more pressure on the opposing team's breaking them down get them tired pulling the defensive line apart why not play with 3 halfs in attack Hastings plays halfback and have two 5/8s each sticking to one side of the field API is so smart and some quick runs from dummy will help make more room

Personally i think his price is over inflated. Played in a great Panthers team at centre, did okay at the dogs last year. 2023 he needs to lead the dogs to finals, no excuses. I think 800k is a fair price
But if we want to sign him we need to offer 200k+ more than anyone else. It's that simple.
We need to offer Burton 1 million and Moses 1.2 both on 4 year deals. If we're going to have a crack then have a real crack, not some fanciful 'if he wants to join us he'll accept our miserly offer's.

Burton has a massive boot but he's very inconsistent with it. At present he's a very good centre and an inconsistent 5/8. I personally wouldn't give him a million a year contract unless you're happy to pay that price for someone who might end up at centre. Not saying that's unreasonable as I don't know the contracts of top players, but at the moment there are many better halves than Burton.

There was lots of commentary before he started that he had been purchased as a 13 (pretty sure it was Sheens who was commenting even while Madge was coach) so not sure he is justified in getting his nose out of joint. Was only played in the halves early in the season due to Douehi still being out injured.
Justified or not is not my point as to what I was alluding to is the fact that Jacko has always wore the 7 or 6 guernsey the half position is what he's always known and owned ,being faced with and told there you have a different future role would not be easy to hear, and probably a natural and understandable reaction from most people in this regard was what I was referring to

Back