Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

The weird thing with his short kicks is that at one point 2018-19 I remember it being on of his strengths than it and alot of the upside of his game disappeared in 2020
Watch his grubbers he hits them really hard so close to the ground. Then go watch young Walker from the Roosters. He drops the ball on his foot about 40cm from the ground in an over and end kind of grubber. It bounces up in goal instead of running along the ground dead.

Brooks needs to change his technique. We need way more repeat sets.

I think the grubber for repeat sets has dropped off since the 7 tackle sets were introduced. The cross field bomb or simply playing out the set in good position seems to be favoured by teams as more options with less risk.

I think the grubber for repeat sets has dropped off since the 7 tackle sets were introduced. The cross field bomb or simply playing out the set in good position seems to be favoured by teams as more options with less risk.
I think the Api dummy either side to hit Stef, Klem, Bateman, Ice or drumroll ... Twal 2 yards out will be telling.

Watch his grubbers he hits them really hard so close to the ground. Then go watch young Walker from the Roosters. He drops the ball on his foot about 40cm from the ground in an over and end kind of grubber. It bounces up in goal instead of running along the ground dead.

Brooks needs to change his technique. We need way more repeat sets.
This was perfectly exemplified once by Benji when the ball actually hit the ground first. That was a bad kick, but showed the technique needed.

Funny thing about the bounce of the ball is that playing Aussie rules you learn at like 10 years old that the ball when rolling seams vertical/"end over end", it follows a 'rhythm'.

It's like a pulse oximeter (or heart rate monitor) where you see the low amplitude waves (along the ground) followed every 4th or 5th by a high amplitude one (bounces higher). No idea about the physics of it, but kick a ball hard enough like this and the pattern repeats until it stops.

It's no great skill, just one that is a very common occurrence in footy compared to league.

I do confess though it drives me crazy seeing a winger botch an uncontested try because they've tried to ground it or pick it up out of its rhythm!

Any short kicker at nrl level should be able to kick it like this. To me the hard part is getting it through the legs of the defenders. I think it takes great composure, but Brooks looks like he tends to kick and hope.

So yeh, I could kick it like that with either foot tomorrow, but doing it in an nrl game and getting it through the line of defence, perfectly weighted for someone running through for it... That's a different matter entirely!

Fwiw, the best kick I've ever seen in rugby league was Cooper Cronk in a SOO at Suncorp where he kicked for his left winger who caught it on the full and put it down to score. As good a kick as you'll see in either nrl or afl.

... Well that was about 53 times longer than I thought it would be! 🤣

Exactly. These guys need to step up and they haven't been able to do that their entire careers.
Players do carry some responsibility. So does the former coach who many of you were all over. Brooks stated it during his interview the other day. We've a new coaching team, a style which better matches the skillsets of the players in the squad, a few tough experienced forwards which provides the framework for younger players to be introduced into the team. I'm looking forward to the new year.

We never win these long drawn out contract negotiations and today will be the same outcome as the ones in the past. Although I think with this one we actually got close.

Always a let down but we should be pretty happy with our offseason recruitment and the progress our pathway system is showing.

If nothing else Moses’s negotiations have been a great fill for the offseason and kept the forum buzzing.

deep breaths in and out buddy

yep nobody knows what hes doing

i was just speculating that all of the signs in the last 24-48 hrs have pointed in one direction

just not getting my hopes up, every time the club speaks or players from our club mention someone coming across things go south very quickly 🤣
My breathing is OK mate. Agree with everything you’ve just said. The last paragraph is particularly true.

The day has come, why meet just to turn down the offer, a phone call would suffice. Maybe he really wants to play with brooksy again and being his last contract $$$. Bring MM home!!
I thought Moses was an Eels junior before he came to WT? But he definitely had more fun at WT, and played some good footy alongside Brooks and Tedesco.

Latest posts

Back