Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Do we know how much he is on because that can change things dramatically, if he's on 500-600 grand and flops that bad but if he's on 800-900 grand and flops that's a Cleary signing
I think I saw a report in the British press which said somewhere in the region of 600k. I think.

Reactions: 851
I watched reasonable amount of super league last couple of years and it’s true his form was well down on what he showed at the Raiders.

However I think Sheens (and his signing has Sheens all over it) saw through his few 2022 World Cup performances for England that he had bit more in the tank on the field but also more importantly what he could bring to the side in terms of experience, aggression and leadership all of which we were sadly lacking last season.

So it’s a risk I agree but here’s hoping!
I thought Bateman played pretty well in the World Cup. Better than his form for Wigan. Probably benefitting from better players. Look, I really hope it works out for both the Tigers and Jon. Because a fit Jon Bateman is the kind of guy others will gladly follow into battle. A real lead-by-example type of player. I mean, he gave Kikau all he could handle and more besides despite giving away god knows how many kilos. At his peak he was a nightmare both in attack and defence. One of the toughest men I've seen on a rugby pitch. Niggly. In an entertaining kind of way. And he's a good fella. Strong character with a moral compass. At the very least he should set an example for younger players to follow. Beyond that .... I dunno.

I think I saw a report in the British press which said somewhere in the region of 600k. I think.
That's not too bad then while I would perfer him not to be a flop the real worry would be crippling our cap but 600k is an amount that we can cop especially with the increase of the cap, unless you mean in pounds cause if so we're screwed

That's not too bad then while I would perfer him not to be a flop the real worry would be crippling our cap but 600k is an amount that we can cop especially with the increase of the cap, unless you mean in pounds cause if so we're screwed
LOL - you guys are crazy. But I don't think you are that crazy. If you are I'll happily sign a 150k contract to bring on the water bottles or the kicking tee. Could do with a bit of sun ...

anyone who thinks the club are going to sign a halfback between the ages of 19-23 after this is deluded. they will not block the pathways of the juniors.

with a far better forward pack, an attack-minded coaching staff and his confidence returning I think we’ll see a far improved version of Luke Brooks. IF that goes to plan, he steers the ship for 2-3 more years and then either Conti or Isdale take the seven jersey and partner Large in the halves long term.

the best plan B at this point (if Brooks fails) would be George Williams on a three year deal, but do not expect Ethan Sanders, Jonah Pezet, Lewis Dodd or Thomas Duffy to head to concord if it doesn’t work out when Isdale and Conti (in particular) are tearing up junior reps as we speak. the club won’t allow for another Mitchell Moses to slip through the cracks.
I'm always more inclined to stick with the youngsters. Without a genuine pathway into the first team based on performance rather than reputation you're fighting an uphill battle. That said - the old saying of "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" has a lot of weight. Halfback is the toughest position on the pitch. You bear most of responsibility and very often you're one of the smallest players on the pitch. Constantly being targeted by big men. You can see why they get paid the high salaries. It's one thing to make a judgement call on whether you think a young centre or prop will make the grade. But it's a million times more difficult making the call on a halfback. It's the thinking time. Or lack of it. I've lost count of the number of kids who look like prime Wally Lewis in junior rugby only to turn into Lachlan Lewis in the first team. Producing a Cooper Cronk or an Allan Langer - it's just very, very difficult. If you really do KNOW this kid is the business - stick with him. But if you aren't 100% ... steal one from somebody else.

Reactions: 851
The Pom mentioned 2 years. That isn't that bad. I'd like to see us tie up Doueihi for that time or longer as well.

The issue is there is no one to target. We can try for juniors or guys that are good in reserves but it's hit and miss.

What’s the rush with Douehi? We just extended him for a year… let’s see how he plays this year…

Im not keen on extending Brooks … what if you extend him now and he stinks it up again this year and you are stuck with him?

At least see how he goes the first 2-3 months here with a better team around him…

Last edited:
Ive posted it a few times and every week there is some dickhead on here complaining about Brooks kicking dead. There are plenty of reasons to not be happy with Brooks. Game management is poor. Kicking game lacks variation. Can drop off tackles. Is on massive overs. All genuine complaints but we get the same false narrative of kicking dead repeated over and over again.

And although ive just listed a bunch of issues with Brooks, i think the other side of the argument is valid. Halves cant perform behind a beaten pack, gets shit service from his 9. the positions outside him get chopped and change every couple weeks. he produces attacking stats at a rate that is well above what all other Tigers stats suggest he should be capable of. Shouldn't move him on without a better option.
I hear you. Even when you use the data, they still try to argue with you. Brooks didn't have his best season last year, but you're right, we were dominated up front. Here's a few stats I found from last year:

Run metres
1st Penrith 41 184m Average per game 1548m
15th Wests 31 027m Average per game 1292m

Wests also had the 2nd worst metres per carry at 8.49m compared to Penrith at over 9m.
Source: Foxsports

We've made the right moves by getting metre makers such as Papali'i and Klemmer, and getting Api to get the rest of the forwards to poke their nose through the line. I'm looking forward to an improved showing this year. Hopefully everyone can get on board rather than bagging our players.

For the Brooks bashers out there, who are you suggesting we replace him with?

I think a 2 year extension is great. You don't throw away quality players who love the club.
I'd replace him with Lewis Dodd, George Williams, Troy Pezet. Hell I'd rather have Mitchell Pearce have a one year contract as a stop gap than sign Luke Brooks to a two year deal without him having played a game this year. He deserves nothing from the Tigers. He's taken us for a ride this four year contract and unless he can deliver some worthwhile output then he should not be offered an extension

I hear you. Even when you use the data, they still try to argue with you. Brooks didn't have his best season last year, but you're right, we were dominated up front. Here's a few stats I found from last year:

Run metres
1st Penrith 41 184m Average per game 1548m
15th Wests 31 027m Average per game 1292m

Wests also had the 2nd worst metres per carry at 8.49m compared to Penrith at over 9m.
Source: Foxsports

We've made the right moves by getting metre makers such as Papali'i and Klemmer, and getting Api to get the rest of the forwards to poke their nose through the line. I'm looking forward to an improved showing this year. Hopefully everyone can get on board rather than bagging our players.

Say it with me… no excuses for Brooks thia year…

He needs to find more than some new teammates which they have provided for hm… some internal confidence and a voice to communicate/ direct others on the field like other halves will be helpful to this young team,,,

Some leadership qualifies would be great from one highest paid and one of the most experienced players on the team,,,

Ok, the saga is mercilessly over and we're finally put out of our misery. Moses not coming is probably the best result when all factors are considered and, to be honest there were too many red flags to begin with........1.4 mil a lot of money, 4 year contract, coming in 2024 when 29 years old, show pony disposition, motivated by $, etc, etc.
I was becoming excited at the prospect of his homecoming (and beginning to believe the chat that he'd become a better person) but, now that the answer's no, I'm a bit surprised at my own lack of disappointment. Far better to keep to the original plan by bolstering the forwards and running with a serviceable halves pairing in Brooks and Douehi, at least until things shake out a bit.
The upward trajectory of the Tigers will only happen if it's done in small steps and requires a measured approach, not one of knee jerk, emotional decisions involving risk and unnecessary, major hits to the cap.

I'd replace him with Lewis Dodd, George Williams, Troy Pezet. Hell I'd rather have Mitchell Pearce have a one year contract as a stop gap than sign Luke Brooks to a two year deal without him having played a game this year. He deserves nothing from the Tigers. He's taken us for a ride this four year contract and unless he can deliver some worthwhile output then he should not be offered an extension

Mate quality posts like yours have no place on this forum

I don’t get what people are annoyed about the club put their best foot forward and tried to get an elite player. Unfortunately he decided to stay where he was but we didn’t do any harm to our reputation. Should we just here and go let’s not chase him cause he won’t leave? I’m proud of the club for getting out there and having a go

Ok, the saga is mercilessly over and we're finally put out of our misery. Moses not coming is probably the best result when all factors are considered and, to be honest there were too many red flags to begin with........1.4 mil a lot of money, 4 year contract, coming in 2024 when 29 years old, show pony disposition, motivated by $, etc, etc.
I was becoming excited at the prospect of his homecoming (and beginning to believe the chat that he'd become a better person) but, now that the answer's no, I'm a bit surprised at my own lack of disappointment. Far better to keep to the original plan by bolstering the forwards and running with a serviceable halves pairing in Brooks and Douehi, at least until things shake out a bit.
The upward trajectory of the Tigers will only happen if it's done in small steps and requires a measured approach, not one of knee jerk, emotional decisions involving risk and unnecessary, major hits to the cap.
Adding to your point that Moses would have come in 2024, we would have had to play without him this year anyway. For 2023 at least, what have we lost? Nothing...

This gives us time to assess Brooks/Doueihi combo and/or find the right player in that position.

We missed out on Hodgson, but signed Korisau...things can always get better.

Well we didn’t get him. So we move on , we will and it has started cop some headlines to enjoy , Mosses Rejects Tigers , Mosses Knocks Back aTigers , etc etc , and that’s fine while wankers are writing it our team will be quietly going about reading themselves to win first round game. , simple , Also Shifty Sheens will have a players or 2 in mind for 24 , we only need probably 2 players on about 2/3 year deals then our crop of kids will be about ready to stay in first grade

Latest posts

Back