Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Agreed on that point for sure - It was more directed at if you can blame him for having the mentality to want to earn as much as he can and retire early due to concerns over his long-term health. The way he has gone about that definitely isn't justified.
Yeah, true. But he didn't do himself any favours for his next contract value I'm guessing.

Seizer pretty much done - for some reason when it relates to SL players getting a deal done includes some extra processes. He should be announced soon. Bateman apparently was active in the recruitment process and sold the vision to Seizer.

I also asked about Xavier Wilson - he hasn't heard anything but did admit would be a fantastic signing. Big expectations for that kid.
Cheers mate, appreciate the info.

Bateman wasn't instructed to make any calls - he purely did it on his own accord to further sell the vision to ensure Seizer signs as they have experience playing next to each other in the line.

As much as people might overlook Seizer as a signing he's potentially our most important player in 2024 next to Api. What Seizer brings is exactly what we've lacked all year and what we've tried turning Brooks into for nearly 8 years which is a game managing 7 who can help guide Bula/Sullivan/Fainu all livewire players with some much-needed control next to them.

Api helps with control within the ruck, however in terms of our execution by completing our sets we need some help and Seizer does that better than most. He isn't necessarily the strongest runner of the footballer but his game management is why the Raiders went all the way to the GF in his last year. I think he'll give us some much-needed help in 2024 and I'm excited to see it happen.

In regards to Staines - I don't know too much, unfortunately.
Exactly, that’s why I was bugging you for the update. He could be huge for us if it works out.

Reactions: BZN
Seizer pretty much done - for some reason when it relates to SL players getting a deal done includes some extra processes. He should be announced soon. Bateman apparently was active in the recruitment process and sold the vision to Seizer.

I also asked about Xavier Wilson - he hasn't heard anything but did admit would be a fantastic signing. Big expectations for that kid.
i know your probably aren't allowed to say, but where do you get this info from? Are you sitting in the recruitment room or something ahahah?

Someone mentioned a while ago we may have got Hawkins on a T&T deal anyone heard anymore on that?
Not seen much of him but im guessing he's better back up than Wakeham and Smith.
Be good if we could get some depth in the halves.

I don't know if any of you have had a chance to listen to this yet, but I am pretty happy with how Benji has handled himself, and some of the responses he has given to some really tough questions.

He was also quick to challenge some moronic questions as well which is something I really like.

Spoke about Bula epitomizing what he wants Wests Tigers to look like in the future, and that it's been his defensive attitude that makes him the player he is.

Put the issues with Scott Fulton to bed, too.

I know a lot of people are jumping off the deep end saying " he doesn't have enough experience" but he has been around the game a long time, he truly 100% backs himself in everything he does in life.

Although it's come early, and even if it does ultimately fail, I like that the club has given Benji this chance. He's clearly a great man manager and as long as he has the right support staff around him (not old guys who are employed on reputation, but young guys who have shown capability in limited time - like John Morris) I think we are going to keep improving.

What I found beyond belief about that - is the team doesn’t do video on the opposition…

That’s on the coaches and our culture…
I don't think there is anything in the comment that suggests we don't do video work.
The original comment I believe (and relying on other posts here) was along the lines of "I haven't seen much of the Dolphins as they play as the same time as us".
This is a fair comment and the blow up following it without any additional detail is way over the top.

First of all, what is much? None of us know. It could range from he has seen zero Dolphins games, to he's only watched all their games once compared to watching other teams games multiple times.

The way i would interpret the comment is he watches most games most weekends, just not the games played the same day as ours. My reasoning being there is no need to add the bit playing at the same time. This seems a reasonable consumption of viewing, probably more than the average player. Additionally, how much do we all believe a player should be watching? Is it different for different players/positions/personalities?

Then I would assume that the team do the typical video sessions. This is the first game against the Dolphins. First time doing video sessions on them. So compared to all other teams we've versed, particularly those we've versed twice, he would not have watched 'much'.

But I know as little as the rest of the forum in regards to how much footy Brooks, or any other player, watches. I just don't get the blow up over a simple comment. Sure, it may be insightful, it may also mean not a lot.

Brooks' whole career was summed up in that interview when he said he "Hasn't seen much of the Dolphins because they played at the same time as us".

Just take a minute to digest that.

A professional on $1 mil a year hasn't done homework on the opposition.

It's beyond belief.
Probably points to his lack of development over his career. He's a bare minimum for his paycheck guy. Never staying back doing extras like you hear of DCE and Cleary doing, working on different kicks etc

You hear about how much video that Nathan Cleary does in preparation for games and in pre season and when he is rehabing from injury. So did Cooper Cronk (still does even though he is not playing). Brooks clearly not that type of halfback and perhaps relies on the coaching staff to do that homework for him and give instruction. Maybe he just doesn't see the game like the best halves who are thinking 3 plays ahead and can break down an opposition. Adds to the belief he is best used as a running 5/8 who can pop up, play what he sees, follow a ball carrier in support. Unfortunately we wanted him to be something he just aint, and this statement in the interview shows why. He will probably go alright at Manly with Cherry Evans pulling the strings. I hope he does. It must suck being the whipping boy each week for 200+ games, whether it's deserved or not.
Mate Brooks had people flicked from the club for over calling him etc and constantly wanted 'the keys' to the team. He wanted that to demand more coin, now he has left for more money and changes his tune. He's a grub

That’s up there with the all time worst takes Demps. Brooks is a far better player than Wakeham will ever be, like him or not.
Yeah Brooks is a better player than Wakeham, but I feel that's 99% due to Brooks having some pace and Wakeham being slower than Klemmer.

They both cannot pass, are dumb, and have poor kicking ganes

I don't know if any of you have had a chance to listen to this yet, but I am pretty happy with how Benji has handled himself, and some of the responses he has given to some really tough questions.

He was also quick to challenge some moronic questions as well which is something I really like.

Spoke about Bula epitomizing what he wants Wests Tigers to look like in the future, and that it's been his defensive attitude that makes him the player he is.

Put the issues with Scott Fulton to bed, too.

I know a lot of people are jumping off the deep end saying " he doesn't have enough experience" but he has been around the game a long time, he truly 100% backs himself in everything he does in life.

Although it's come early, and even if it does ultimately fail, I like that the club has given Benji this chance. He's clearly a great man manager and as long as he has the right support staff around him (not old guys who are employed on reputation, but young guys who have shown capability in limited time - like John Morris) I think we are going to keep improving.

Loved how he set the tone with the journos early. No going to take their BS.

Not to be a downer but PR is only a small fraction of Benji's responsibilities.
Please know I'm hoping for the best for him, but he is likely seen as a pushover (due to the club) as it was revealed on the forum he almost greenlit signing Josh Schuster for a mil (allegedly) - until Sheens intervened.
So while I like it (his latest interview) too, unfortunately he's now in bed with a number of player managers and with that comes the likelihood they'll run to the media to gain the upper hand and pressure him/the club, at various stages (with contract negotiations etc.,) of his coaching tenure.

🤞🤞🤞 though.

Edit: my main point is most noise comes from player managers and therefore I hope the club do everything to protect him.

Back