Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Clearly someone is
There's a reason Roosters didn't put an offer towards Payne Hass - they're lining up Stefano apparently to take over JWH. They initially wanted Tino and were in communications with his management to bring him over I think that's a big reason they wanted Holbrook however that obviously didn't occur as he re-signed on that 10 year deal.

Now there eyes are firmly on Stefano. I guess the good news that comes with that is I've been told Stefano enjoys it here and takes pride in being a leader. I'm sure if we make it clear to him we have plans to transition him into a captain once Api retries and we show signs of improvement in 2024 then I'm fairly confident he'll extend his deal when the time comes.

Not Prichael Fecker. The guy can't coach.
Steve Georgallis & Craig Sandercock both being sounded out for experience (according to Daily Tele).

Georgallis I like. Apparently was a great support for Payten as a young coach at Cows plus has the WT DNA as a former Magpie & foundation WT player, and previously was an assistant here when Benji was playing in around 12/13.

@teddy23 Fulton mentioned on the pod thing still a few to move on, do you know anything about who's in line to get moved on. I coulld guess Simpkin he'd have some demand probably AJ and Rua.
Wakeham, Jake Simpkins, AD, Tuki Simpkins and Suakura will be names thrown around that conversation I believe. That's more just an opinion.

This is extremely vague, but on the Bloke in a Bar podcast the Hello Sport guys said that there’s a rumour that they “hope isn’t true”…they said it’s in relation to the Tigers signing a new player. They seemed concerned and said they were a game breaker. Given they support Manly and get inside knowledge one can only assume that another high-profile or up and coming Manly player is coming to Tigers.

Any idea of the timestamp etc.? Cheers

Wakeham, Jake Simpkins, AD, Tuki Simpkins and Suakura will be names thrown around that conversation I believe. That's more just an opinion.
Yeah I think with the need to create spots, out of the off-contract guys Wakeham, Lomi Saukuru & Tuki Simpkins won't be resigned. The other 2 off-contract are Seyfarth & Staines and their future may be dependent on whether we release or find a suitor for Jake Simpkin (2024), AJ Kepaoa (2024) & Nofa (2025). Rua (2024) could just be paid out. Reilly (2024) is probably playing for his future the next 2 matches. IMO we'll keep AD at least until his contract is up next season to give him a chance at centre or lock. I doubt we'll release Sione Fainu (2024) with his brothers coming. Can't see any others being released.

There's a reason Roosters didn't put an offer towards Payne Hass - they're lining up Stefano apparently to take over JWH. They initially wanted Tino and were in communications with his management to bring him over I think that's a big reason they wanted Holbrook however that obviously didn't occur as he re-signed on that 10 year deal.

Now there eyes are firmly on Stefano. I guess the good news that comes with that is I've been told Stefano enjoys it here and takes pride in being a leader. I'm sure if we make it clear to him we have plans to transition him into a captain once Api retries and we show signs of improvement in 2024 then I'm fairly confident he'll extend his deal when the time comes.
Spencer Leniu, Lindsay Collins. How many rep level props do they want?
Not sure there is many teams that have 3.

Now their eyes are firmly on Stefano. I guess the good news that comes with that is I've been told Stefano enjoys it here and takes pride in being a leader. I'm sure if we make it clear to him we have plans to transition him into a captain once Api retries and we show signs of improvement in 2024 then I'm fairly confident he'll extend his deal when the time comes.
Could be the Kao Weeks chat that came up a few months back.

So what you are saying is we should be wary of the Roosters who didn't / couldn't move on Payne Haas, didn't / couldn't move on Tino and now might want to move on Stefano.

Just sounds like any club's typically shopping list of players.

Thing about Roosters is they don't usually pay big bucks for props. Their MO is almost entirely to develop from within or scout them early/cheap - e.g. Collins, Fletcher Baker, Tetevano, Lodge, Taukeiaho, Kane Evans, Napa, Sam Moa, JWH, Ryles, Nutley, Nate Myles, Shillington, Hannant, Paea brothers etc. etc.

Spencer Leniu is possibly an exception, though I don't know what he is paid, and if he's getting paid a lot then it reduces whatever they might have available for Stefano.

Because, sombrero jokes aside, when a Roosters stalwart retires, those players are always on Roosters "unders" not full market rates. JWH is not being paid as much by Roosters as he could command on the open market. Therefore when JWH is gone, Roosters won't have full market value available to spend. They would have to convince a player to join "for other reasons".

Personally I think the Roosters brand and success cycle is on the decline, possibly heavy decline. They are historically very good at re-inventing themselves, but Trent Robbo cannot be given infinite opportunities and Uncle Nick is not getting any younger (he's 81). Tedesco will be gone soon enough and there's no obvious replacement for them. The halves pairing has not been sorted. Brandon Smith is a bust. JWH will retire. Their backrow is workmanlike without being great. They aren't at risk of missing finals 2023 due to bad luck.

So what you are saying is we should be wary of the Roosters who didn't / couldn't move on Payne Haas, didn't / couldn't move on Tino and now might want to move on Stefano.

Thing about Roosters is they don't usually pay big bucks for props. Their MO is almost entirely to develop from within or scout them early/cheap - e.g. Collins, Fletcher Baker, Tetevano, Lodge, Taukeiaho, Kane Evans, Napa, Sam Moa, JWH, Ryles, Nutley, Nate Myles, Shillington, Hannant, Paea brothers etc. etc.

Spencer Leniu is possibly an exception, though I don't know what he is paid, and if he's getting paid a lot then it reduces whatever they might have available for Stefano.

Because, sombrero jokes aside, when a Roosters stalwart retires, those players are always on Roosters "unders" not full market rates. JWH is not being paid as much by Roosters as he could command on the open market. Therefore when JWH is gone, Roosters won't have full market value available to spend. They would have to convince a player to join "for other reasons".

Personally I think the Roosters brand and success cycle is on the decline, possibly heavy decline. They are historically very good at re-inventing themselves, but Trent Robbo cannot be given infinite opportunities and Uncle Nick is not getting any younger (he's 81). Tedesco will be gone soon enough and there's no obvious replacement for them. The halves pairing has not been sorted. Brandon Smith is a bust. JWH will retire. Their backrow is workmanlike without being great. They aren't at risk of missing finals 2023 due to bad luck.
I would have preferred you post that after they had wiped the floor with us this coming weekend. I’m sure they’ll demonstrate that there is a team there then.
Long way for us to go before we can start throwing stones.

Chooks will do the same as when ever they have a had a crap year. Buy basically a new team and advance up the ladder again. It happens about every 5 years

Steve Georgallis & Craig Sandercock both being sounded out for experience (according to Daily Tele).

Georgallis I like. Apparently was a great support for Payten as a young coach at Cows plus has the WT DNA as a former Magpie & foundation WT player, and previously was an assistant here when Benji was playing in around 12/13.
We've had that many assistants that almost all of the experienced ones have already been at WT. Pretty sure Georgallis and Sandercock were here in the past.

I hope one of them can teach our team how to attack in the red zone.

Haumole Olakau'atu?
Just a reminder about this story from 2021 in the SMH. Four key surnames in this article ... Olakau'atu, Fainu, Fulton & Lambkin ;)
Nearly every good rugby league player is spotted when they are young and on the football field.

Manly wrecking ball Haumole Olakau’atu was spotted in a car park.

Olakau’atu has been one of the many excellent young stars who have shot to stardom for the Sea Eagles this season.

The 22-year-old has terrorised rivals on the right edge. Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans is only half joking when he describes Olakau’atu - all 196cm and 112kg of him - as “the scariest man in rugby league”.

NSW coach Brad Fittler is a fan, and confirmed he was about to bring Olakau’atu into the extended squad ahead of Origin III, only to realise Manly did not have a bye that weekend.

Sadly Saturday night’s rivals, Parramatta, never rated Olakau’atu and snubbed the Fairfield junior not once but twice from their Harold Matthews and SG Ball sides.

Which brings us back to 2016 and the car park at the Sea Eagles’ Narrabeen training base.

Olakau’atu was training with the Southern Districts colts team when Manly hooker Manase Fainu asked him if he could keep him company during the long drive from Sydney’s south-west to the northern beaches a couple of times a week.

“I’d sit in the car and just watch Manase train,” Olakau’atu said.

“Manase said I should join him at training, he asked if it was OK, I started training on a Monday, we had a trial that week against the Dragons.

“I played, [coach] Wayne Lambkin liked the way I played, [recruitment manager] Scott Fulton liked the way I played, and then I was signed.

“It was all Manase’s doing in the end. I’m so grateful to him.”

Lambkin, who was only in his first year of coaching Manly’s Holden Cup team, took one look at the giant seated in Fainu’s Audi and said it made sense for him to pull on the boots and have a go.

“I remember asking the boys if he could play, and I was like, ‘far out, he’s big enough’, and ‘is he the right age?” Lambkin said.

“I spoke to him and said, ‘do you want a train-and-trial with us?’ instead of just driving your mates to training.”

For the record, the Manly under-20s team won the premiership in 2017, with Olakau’atu and Cade Cust forming a lethal combination on the left edge.

Fainu quipped he was still waiting to be paid the 6.5 per cent management fee for delivering his good friend to the northern beaches.

“I even gave him my bank details,” Fainu said.

“He’s always been a gun. We played juniors together. We’re related. His father and my grandmother grew up in the same village in Tonga.

“We even played in the same under-13s team at Wentworthville. [Penrith winger] Brian To’o was also in the side. He was a centre. Haumole and I were the wingers. I’m so happy for him. ”

Olakau’atu is related to North Queensland enforcer Jason Taumalolo, the man whose decision to defect to Tonga before the 2017 World Cup breathed new life into international rugby league, but he has never met nor spoken to him.

He has now played 14 games this season, made the right-edge back row spot his own, and continued to develop his on-field combination with Cherry-Evans.

“He’s the scariest man in the NRL - he just looks it - but he’s such a great fella,” Cherry-Evans said.

“He’s always had potential, he’s been in our full-time squad a couple of years. We all knew how good he could be, we were just waiting for him to understand it. For whatever reason it’s clicking for him this year and we’re getting to enjoy it”

Not Prichael Fecker. The guy can't coach.
Not sure he can't coach. He's coached sides to win the Heineken Cup, Super Rugby (against the Crusaders), In 2015, he received the World Rugby Coach of the Year award. Coached Australia the the 1/4 finals in a world cup in rugby and a 1/4 final in league. Lately he coached the Argentines to a win over Australia and close results to NZ and Sth Africa.

Latest posts

Back