Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I too think Sullivan is the most likely to become our NSW Cup halfback.

Latu and Galvin have had absolute standout junior careers, the highest rated prospects of their respective years. Sure Sullivan was highly rated as a junior too, but that was several years ago now. Injuries, form and competition has limited his impact to date. A clean slate might be the tonic he needs. But he's got bench utility or NSW Cup half all over him in my view.

If we sign Luai before the season even starts it will also place a weird gloomy cloud over our current halves, knowing that one of their replacements has been signed before they even get a chance to show what they can do. Wouldn't be great for their morale...

I'd also add that the hype around Large will also grow exponentially in the coming year. IMO it will surpass the Suaalii hype. He's a much better prospect that Suaalii who was a pure athlete. Onitoni is an equivalent athlete to Joseph, with the added benefit of the skills of a playmaker. Part Suaalii, part Benji, that's one heck of a combo. He'll debut as an 18 year old in my view. Obviously a bit of time to pass between now and then but i'd expect him to pop into preseason a bit this summer and get increasing exposure over the next 12-18 months and will then make a debut off the bench all things going well, obviously depending on fitness, what month his birthday is in, any school exams etc
Sullivan could be a handy 14 long term

Electric and some X-factor off the bench

I would Take Moses.

He is an organising Half back.

I wonder how much better Luai looks being impacted by Cleary @ #7

Massive coo in terms of the Narrative, equally large financial gamble
Watch Penrith games where luai is there and Cleary isn’t plus the World Cup Cleary may help luais game but luai is still a great player with or without him

Not a big fan of Luai but would not say no to him as he would add a lot to us and help with recruitment.
IMO though if he leaves it will be to Dogs with the rest of his mates, but I think we would be a better with us as.

Watch Penrith games where luai is there and Cleary isn’t plus the World Cup Cleary may help luais game but luai is still a great player with or without him
That game Luai played SOS without Cleary there were questions marks if he would look out of place. Arguably NSW’s best player that game - he has proved he can do it without Cleary.

Penrith seem to be worse without Luai then they are without Cleary….. am I by no stretch hinting Luai is the better player but it does give you an indication of the impact he has.

The only question mark is whether he’s the type of halve we need.

We have enough X-factor halves coming up, you could make the argument we have the two most electric young junior halves in the game with Fainu and Sullivan. Luai is similar but has the toughness as well…..

However, we need a general who can help provide the balance of X-factor yet efficient at the same time.

With every Benji, you need a Prince
With every Munster, you need a Hughes
With every Brown, you need a Moses
With every Mam, you need a Reynolds
With every Luai, you need a Cleary.

Can Luai provide the same polish at the end of our sets as an established 7 to allow one of either Fainu/Sullivan to play their natural game. If the club feel like he can do that throw the $1.2 million at him….. if not then maybe money spent elsewhere for someone who can provide that.

You can have as much talent as you want but if you don’t have a 7 who can polish off your sets and provide that balance - well you’ll just end up like the South Sydney Rabbitohs this year.

Go ask Cody Walker how important it is to have a 7 to rely on to end your sets to allow your 6 to be creative.

Just my thoughts.

I wouldn’t be sweating on a deal being done in November. Chances are he’ll have a few suitors. Might not make a decision till February at the earliest.

I reckon its tough to judge Luai on the without Cleary basis, he still has the best team in the last 20 yrs around him he has plenty of help.
This is the fact that worries me more than he supposed attitude (dickhead) tendancies. Its one thing to do it in a Panthers team without Cleary than doing it for a battling team like us. We have little choice though we have to go out and try and grab the quality players when they are there.
Also doing it at international level can been seen as a one off given the emotions involved at times and still having quality around you, albeit not Panthers level quality.

I will call it now Luai will not leave the panthers as he is best mates with Cleary he will take less to stay
Apparently he had a deal on the table at Penrith that if he signed without a manager he would pocket the commission costs of over 100k.
So roughly a 800k deal with no manager was going to net him over 900k with Penrith.
You would have to assume he isn’t signing up with a new manager to resign with Penrith even if they push the deal to 900k he still loses the money that was already on the table.

Reactions: 851
If you're married try going home tonight and telling the wife that you could've pulled in an extra 600k a year but you knocked it back because you wanted to hang around with your mates, see how many frying pans to the head you take.

Too many of you blokes get sucked in by the "getting less to play for a good club" rubbish. These blokes all have mangers getting their cut. They're not taking less. They go for money every time, sometimes the money just isn't on show.

Haha. Spot on Packer, you're not wrong at all

Apparently he had a deal on the table at Penrith that if he signed without a manager he would pocket the commission costs of over 100k.
So roughly a 800k deal with no manager was going to net him over 900k with Penrith.
You would have to assume he isn’t signing up with a new manager to resign with Penrith even if they push the deal to 900k he still loses the money that was already on the table.
It's the same for any player, if you don't have an agent you get to keep the 10% cut (or whatever their cut is). If he signed for 800k he'd keep that 800k, with an agent his share would only be ~720k.

It's the same for any player, if you don't have an agent you get to keep the 10% cut (or whatever their cut is). If he signed for 800k he'd keep that 800k, with an agent his share would only be ~720k.
And that 10% is a one off, right?
And the subsequent years he gets full freight, right? Is that how it works?

That game Luai played SOS without Cleary there were questions marks if he would look out of place. Arguably NSW’s best player that game - he has proved he can do it without Cleary.

Penrith seem to be worse without Luai then they are without Cleary….. am I by no stretch hinting Luai is the better player but it does give you an indication of the impact he has.

We have enough X-factor halves coming up, you could make the argument we have the two most electric young junior halves in the game with Fainu and Sullivan. Luai is similar but has the toughness as well…..

However, we need a general who can help provide the balance of X-factor yet efficient at the same time.

Can Luai provide the same polish at the end of our sets as an established 7 to allow one of either Fainu/Sullivan to play their natural game. If the club feel like he can do that throw the $1.2 million at him….. if not then maybe money spent elsewhere for someone who can provide that.

You can have as much talent as you want but if you don’t have a 7 who can polish off your sets and provide that balance - well you’ll just end up like the South Sydney Rabbitohs this year.

Go ask Cody Walker how important it is to have a 7 to rely on to end your sets to allow your 6 to be creative.

Just my thoughts.
I think you said it best in an earlier post. You would play him at 7 with a similar style to Nicko Hynnes there is no way you’re pigeonholing him to a flank.
All the talk of Luai coming will upset the young halves.
Has TDS complained that he has Api Korisou to learn off and compete with? Or is he grateful?

Yes, you’re right. His not getting more from no manager but he certainly isn’t getting less.

Just my thoughts.
Great thoughts, makes a lot of sense. Maybe Sezer at 7 if he stays on past 2024 can provide that polish/stability for Luai at 6? I’ve never been a big fan of Sezer but he is an experienced and more controlling half than those we’ve had or have signed and maybe he has picked up a few more tricks in his stint overseas.

Anyway see how they all go next season I guess. Maybe one of Sullivan or Fainu will have a break out year and we won’t need Luai, or maybe both those guys will still need time in reggies to ply their trade OR perhaps they won’t work out at all! Either way I’m thinking a Luai/Sezer combo might work well and, along with Api & Bula, be exactly what this team needs. That’s if we are actually any real hope of signing Luai of course??

Back