Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Plenty of good players left out of the NRL team lineups for round 1 that could improve our side.

This fantasy situation is nothing but naïve....

There are limited to no business situations where someone in a senior role (In this case - Coach) Would be kept on after he told his employers he was moving to a rival business, Especially in such close proximity.
And the NRL is a far bigger affair than most every day Businesses....
It just can't and doesn't happen - Most times, You don't see out the day!!

Cleary also left 24 months early, Even if he'd stayed 2019 - He was still bailing on 2020.
Agree with this, but we had the alternative of putting in an interim coach and just waiting until Bennett saw out his contract. In saying that, hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: 851
This fantasy situation is nothing but naïve....

There are limited to no business situations where someone in a senior role (In this case - Coach) Would be kept on after he told his employers he was moving to a rival business, Especially in such close proximity.
And the NRL is a far bigger affair than most every day Businesses....
It just can't and doesn't happen - Most times, You don't see out the day!!

Cleary also left 24 months early, Even if he'd stayed 2019 - He was still bailing on 2020.
I'd sacrifice a season to land arguably the greatest Coach of all time.

I'd sacrifice a season to land arguably the greatest Coach of all time.

And what happens when Bennett changes his mind (As he's done before), Or takes a position for a coach that's moved on without notice (As he was)
Or decides to wait around for 12 months for the QLD Bid....
OR (Heaven Forbid) Dies?

Anything can happen in fantasy land.... right?

Just having a look at who is off contract or potentially available in these positions of need that would be worth the club keeping an eye on:

WING: Izaak Thompson, Nick Cotric, Corey Oates. (Cotric & Thompson have the versatility to play centre, Oates previously hasn't wanted to leave Qld)

LOCK: Jack Williams, John Asiata (UK), Jazz Tevaga (Williams versatility in backrow, while Asiata/Tevaga can be lock/hooker utilities if Jake Simpkin moves on).

PROP: Oregon Kaufusi, Patrick Mago (UK).

BACK ROW DEPTH: Luke Garner, Michael Chee Kam, Euan Aitken, Jack Williams.

Any others to add to the watch list?
Not many worth picking up.

John Asiata isn't a world beater but would be a perfect fit for us right now. I have seen quite a bit of him at Leigh and you can tell that his game is much more suited to the NRL than Super League.

He is the ideal ball playing 13 which is something that we have really lacked the last few seasons. He would take immense pressure off our halves with his ball playing, especially given his willingness to dig deep into the defensive line, attract the defense and play out the back. It really is the missing piece for our pack and for our halves. It would give Sezer and our 6 much more time on the ball to create out wide in the final third of the field (where we have really fallen short recently).

It's also an ideal signing as it fits out current timeline and doesn't block the path of our young locks (Kit and Fa'agutu). Asiata for a season or two would give ample time for Kit and Fa'agutu to develop without putting the pressure on either to step up perform immediately. It would also be low cost and even if one of the young guys breaks through earlier than expected, he can easily provide depth in the front row and lock position. It seems like a low risk-high reward type of signing that we really should be looking at.

And what happens when Bennett changes his mind (As he's done before), Or takes a position for a coach that's moved on without notice (As he was)
Or decides to wait around for 12 months for the QLD Bid....
OR (Heaven Forbid) Dies?

Anything can happen in fantasy land.... right?
Anything except our then CEO and Board, making the right decision.

Even if we ignore Tyrone's past if you've watched him in Super League you'll know he's not a first grade standard player.
You can't just waste a spot and cap money because he's someone's brother.
We've currently got plenty in our top 30, which I'd consider a wasted of a spot and cap money. If we get Tyrone's brothers (both will be in our top 17) I'd say it's worth it.

John Asiata isn't a world beater but would be a perfect fit for us right now. I have seen quite a bit of him at Leigh and you can tell that his game is much more suited to the NRL than Super League.

He is the ideal ball playing 13 which is something that we have really lacked the last few seasons. He would take immense pressure off our halves with his ball playing, especially given his willingness to dig deep into the defensive line, attract the defense and play out the back. It really is the missing piece for our pack and for our halves. It would give Sezer and our 6 much more time on the ball to create out wide in the final third of the field (where we have really fallen short recently).

It's also an ideal signing as it fits out current timeline and doesn't block the path of our young locks (Kit and Fa'agutu). Asiata for a season or two would give ample time for Kit and Fa'agutu to develop without putting the pressure on either to step up perform immediately. It would also be low cost and even if one of the young guys breaks through earlier than expected, he can easily provide depth in the front row and lock position. It seems like a low risk-high reward type of signing that we really should be looking at.
I wouldn't want to rush any of the young kids we have. I am very happy we have Sezer to bridge the gape for Latu next year. Hopefully they do not rush Kit or Faagutu into the side too soon.
I do feel Kit only gets better the more he plays. He is a gun

Latest posts

Back