Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

The hate for Junior Tupou without any criticism of To'a or Staines borders on ridiculous.

You can have your nose out of joint because he's leaving, but he's so far ahead of the other 2 it isn't funny. Yet it's like that side of the field doesn't matter to those with the agenda against players leaving.

Tupou was far from the biggest problem we had yesterday. Physically, he held up. Shame the same cannot be said of the guys staying.
Well I was there and watched both closely. Jnr didn’t try to make a difference seems to have little awareness. Charlie at least had a real crack.
Toa well he needs to be dropped with Jnr.

Well I was there and watched both closely. Jnr didn’t try to make a difference seems to have little awareness. Charlie at least had a real crack.

We don't have the depth ma man...Olam on one side
solves a part of the puzzle, Faataape can shift to
the right, he has a good right handed offload, watch
his tape, he's spoken about it before. Anyway, we
should get guys running on the inside/outside of
him, his debut has been a bit glossed over but he
went okay I thought with the little ball he got fed.
Have 2 keep Tupou & Staines 4 now. To'a will be gone
regardless (syndesmosis), can probably lock in that
centre pairing I mentioned, only other option is then
getting rid of 1 of Tupou or Staines 4 Nado but he
won't be back for another week. Don't think Charlie
has been the problem anyway. Papali'i has 2 do more
to organise his edge, more vocal as well. Own that
side — no idea why Benji switched him & Johnny
around neither to be honest come 2 think of it. Can't
mess around with the squad 2 much 2 early, I dunno

Have 2 keep Tupou & Staines 4 now. To'a will be gone
regardless (syndesmosis), can probably lock in that
centre pairing I mentioned, only other option is then
getting rid of 1 of Tupou or Staines 4 Nado but he
won't be back for another week. Don't think Charlie
has been the problem anyway. Papali'i has 2 do more
to organise his edge, more vocal as well. Own that
side — no idea why Benji switched him & Johnny
around neither to be honest come 2 think of it. Can't
mess around with the squad 2 much 2 early, I dunno
Don’t I know it, watched ressies as well. We need Olam and Naden back ASAP.

Pretty average ???
In a team who’s forwards got spanked twice as badly as our NRL team he made numerous tackle breaks, a length of the field individual try and was virtually the only player to trouble the Raiders defence.
Not forgetting he is only 18 years old.
When you say he’s a shrimp he’s the same height as Reece Walsh, has a similar nuggety build, very quick off the mark and if you saw the pre season team photos you would have noticed he has the most ripped and bulked physique of our entire squad, again this is at age 18.
I am reliably told that similarly to how Galvin earned everyone at the clubs respect with his elite fitness levels, Mason has done the same with his elite strength and work ethic.
I am not suggesting we debut him at NRL level in the near future, but as many others have pointed out he looks like he could develop into a Connor Watson type utility player who could be a real strike weapon for us off the bench.
Walsh isn't big but he's very very special
It's settlling for 2nd best for me... Or 3rd or 4th

I know we're up against a rock and a hard place... We need established capable first graders but we can only attract kids... Being the best of that motley crue yesterday mean's little.
Is much more than just recruiting a few plsyets is gunna solve our problems... The rot is throughout the grades. I don't know what's wrong or how to deal with it but this club has been an embarrassment for a long time... It depresses me, I want so bad for us too be succesful and I hate being negative but I see no future at all for this joint
Main would probably kill it elsewhere but long odds here

I know we're up against a rock and a hard place... We need established capable first graders but we can only attract kids... Being the best of that motley crue yesterday mean's little.
Is much more than just recruiting a few plsyets is gunna solve our problems... The rot is throughout the grades. I don't know what's wrong or how to deal with it but this club has been an embarrassment for a long time... It depresses me, I want so bad for us too be succesful and I hate being negative but I see no future at all for this joint
I believe we could overhaul our playing roster very quickly with available players who could really help transform us into a highly competitive team if we took a ruthless approach to pushing out under performing players.
But stupid long term over priced contracts to players such as Sullivan, Klemmer, Bateman, Naden, To’a and Olam, along with top 30 upgrades to some young players who are not quite ready have made it very difficult.

Look mate I hear you & I was exactly like you last year where I had no hope for the future of this club under Pascoes leadership & was constantly death-riding the club. But now we’ve got Shane Richardson who looks set to be appointed as our permanent CEO, a guy who has transformed clubs in the past & turned them into successful organisations on & off the field & a guy who knows what a team needs to be successful. What we’re seeing now is a result of the poor leadership that the club was under for some time & nobody can implement rapid changes in 3 months. I know it’s hard especially to stick with the team after Saturdays game but there will be good times ahead man we have all the things we need to be successful & now we finally have the guy to take us there.

Last edited:
I believe we could overhaul our playing roster very quickly with available players who could really help transform us into a highly competitive team if we took a ruthless approach to pushing out under performing players.
But stupid long term over priced contracts to players such as Sullivan, Klemmer, Bateman, Naden, To’a and Olam, along with top 30 upgrades to some young players who are not quite ready have made it very difficult.
Hard to argue with that bro.... I still think we have deep seated problems to deal with.

I could handle getting beat with a good squad that showed a bit of attitude once in a while... That came out ready to play not looking like they're scared... That played a hslf decent brand of footy that asked questions of the opposition half of the time... It's been said over and over and over but what do we do at training 8 news a day 5 days a week... We are boring and as bland as sugarless vanilla... Ugly& annoying to watch.
😑I find most of the other teams better to watch 😣

Look mate I hear you & I was exactly like you last year where I had no hope for the future of this club under Pascoes leadership & was constantly death-riding the club. But now we’ve got Shane Richardson who looks set to be appointed as our permanent CEO, a guy who has transformed clubs in the past & turned them into successful organisations on & off the field & a guy who knows what a team needs to be successful. What we’re seeing now is a result of the poor leadership that the club was under for some time & nobody can implement rapid changes in 3 months time. I know it’s hard especially to stick with the team after Saturdays game but there will be good times ahead man we have all the things we need to be successful & now we finally have the guy to take us there.
Yeah good post... I avoided this place most of yesterday I was in no mood... I still needed to get it off my chest today ... And you're right hopefully there is some hope with Richo

Did you watch the game at all?
He was monstered every time he got the ball....

I just think you have to be realistic about the capabilities of this current squad and the unlikelihood of Benji being the bloke with the magic wand - assuming he will be the next person who fans are most likely to target.
There are too many individuals that are contributing to the failure on the field to expect one person off the field to fix it - especially when the teams that we oppose are all better, and week in week out expose our weaknesses.

We can compete for parts of games but can't defend our errors against stronger faster teams. If we don't get a fair share of possession and field position we will lose.
All comes back to roster - retention and recruitment which our club consistently for years has failed at, and still there are a number of players being paid too much money for output. Recipe for failure.
Brooks in a good system not a different player just got a better team around him. It's always been a bigger problem than anyone person can fix no matter who you target as most likely.

Pretty average ???
In a team who’s forwards got spanked twice as badly as our NRL team he made numerous tackle breaks, a length of the field individual try and was virtually the only player to trouble the Raiders defence.
Not forgetting he is only 18 years old.
When you say he’s a shrimp he’s the same height as Reece Walsh, has a similar nuggety build, very quick off the mark and if you saw the pre season team photos you would have noticed he has the most ripped and bulked physique of our entire squad, again this is at age 18.
I am reliably told that similarly to how Galvin earned everyone at the clubs respect with his elite fitness levels, Mason has done the same with his elite strength and work ethic.
I am not suggesting we debut him at NRL level in the near future, but as many others have pointed out he looks like he could develop into a Connor Watson type utility player who could be a real strike weapon for us off the bench.
Yeah I’d be sticking with Mason in reggies. I like kids with the right work ethic and he seems to have it. Also he doesn’t bludge or switch off during games. Not everyone needs to be a giant. And some develop a little later, although he’s not in that bracket yet at 18.

I think Klems contract with Newcastle chippy in, is ok, but yeah, those others are probably a year to long and overs, but that’s where we’re at. At least some of the names you mentioned can or have played to a decent standard. What about Douhys contract, flippers and other simplekins that should have been let go but got extras out of us. Douhy and flippers still on the roster does my head in, I’m going for a lay down.

I think Klems contract with Newcastle chippy in, is ok, but yeah, those others are probably a year to long and overs, but that’s where we’re at. At least some of the names you mentioned can or have played to a decent standard. What about Douhys contract, flippers and other simplekins that should have been let go but got extras out of us. Douhy and flippers still on the roster does my head in, I’m going for a lay down.

Chipped in last year... He's all on us now...

I like this, lock up the middle. People are saying our
defence is shit aren't being that objective. We've
been sliding well & haven't got torn up out wide. We
Let in a shit house try down the short side because
Papali'i & Sullivan got caught in the ruck b4 & got
lazy, & the Zac Hosking try was a knock on, Klein
didn't bother checking it which was crazy. Dragons
just got mopped 38 - zip to the dolphins, wonder
how they'd be feeling especially after their trials?
All things considered that was an alright 1st hit out
And their fullback got a trifecta!

That’s a very good question and I don’t know the answer.
My guess is he was overlooked for Lobb and Alaimalo yesterday.
Unfortunately Alaimalo looked like a fish out of water on the wing, he was shying away from contact under the high ball and wasn’t keen on tackling the big, strong & fast Raiders outside backs such as Schiller.
Every year we get a great rugby union prospect.
Every year they are flops. Waste of space and time trying to convert them.

So did Galvin. Gave away two penalties, a knock on and a pass thrown over the side line.
Seriously? If you look at the amount of touches and the role that Galvin plays then his mistake rate would be a lot lower than Tupou as a percentage.. also , Galvin was trying to create something, effort on effort.. this is so obvious that to compare the 2 is very unfair .. Even the over the sideline pass was thrown to where Staines probably should have been.. Tigers players seem unable to position themselves in a position to create danger for the opposition, pappenhausen is a master of running a line so that if the pass is good enough to find him then he is through the gap… just trudging up Willy nilly with no intent just does not cut it in first grade in the NRL

Tupou seems to have zero respect for possession. His ball security is abysmal , his habit of holding the ball away from his body when he is being tackled should have been coached out of him by now.. it is a deadset liability

Latest posts

Members online

Back