Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

not when his parents are sooking because Galvin’s development has scared them and they think their son should walk into the side as opposed to earning it, and especially after the club had the kid training with the NRL side over preseason and paid for his surgery and rehab after his ankle injury.

there are two sides to every story, Vicious. quite frankly these are people I don’t want at the club if they don’t want to earn their place.

perspective.
Now greater focus on extending Makasini & perhaps Development contract for next season. This is the guy!

I have no doubt Papali’i is trying and most of his charges are strong, despite not really looking like making a line break, hence the reason who I think he’s slowed down a little since his days at the Eels and no doubt he’s not getting the same service he was back then.
Whatever is causing the problem, we cannot and will not progress as a team until this massive issue of next to noncore is rectified.
Just lucky we signed Olam as he is the only one on either edge that offers any attacking impact and the only one that hits hard enough to worry the opposition and force turnovers.
The problem imo isn't the teams backrowers' ability to hit holes/break the line. The problems are:
limited front foot footy due to ineffective middles creating few attacking chances.
only one of the halves ever being an attacking threat meaning opposition defence can focus their efforts to one side of the field.
The fullback not effective in the sweeping ballplayer role meaning outside defenders can shift in on back line players, negating the indedision edge defenders should be experiencing when choosing to defend the lead runner or check and release to the outside.

I couldn't think of anything less relevant than discussing the 3-5cm or 3/4kg differences between players when it pertains to their ability.

It's all output.

For a forward, for example -

How hard do they hit?
Do they run good lines?
Are they disciplined?
Do they have good lateral movement?
Do they have good hands?
Are they strong in the wrestle?
Do they regularly show the 1%ers?
Do they work from the inside?
Are they good talkers on the field?
Do they split defenders in contact?
Whats their offload rate?
How quick is their ptb?
What is their motor like?
Do they maintain line speed throughout?

Etc.
An old quote " A good big man will always beat a good little man"

On average, other traits being equal.

Now greater focus on extending Makasini & perhaps Development contract for next season. This is the guy!
Agree totally.
He is a star without O. Large. And a great goal kicker.
Others in the Harold Matts side I think have a future are Alex Isdale [1/2] Christian Taupau-Moors and Peter French. [props]
Needs to be taken care of big time. And in a position we are screaming for.

I reckon our edge defence is much improved but it is an area where teams run attack and can catch players out. LL use to cop the same level of criticism and also played 80 mins. We just can't keep off loading FG players to teams thinking that we are going to replace them easily with someone who will be able to make up for our weaknesses.
Didn't LL get $700k over 4 years? That's why he left.

AD ' s best position is centre. I remember him cutting up the Broncos during Magic Round.
Sure he has defensive deficiencies but as I've said before, you can teach a monkey to tackle.
I'm looking forward to him returning where he belongs. He has the ability to be a strike weapon in the centres.
So you are saying AD is a monkey? Sorry I couldn’t let that one slide. Know what you meant…. Just being a smart ass.

• Haha
Reactions: TSP
Question for those on the know of lower grades, doesnMason have the skill set to transition into centre? if he’s the kid I remember he’s built like a brick outhouse, A bit like Timoko from Canberra. I understand hes a fullback so his path is probably blocked in that position.
I still can't get it out of my mind. I watched Mason playing fullback, let the ball bounce, twice in same the game, when I thought he had every chance of catching it. Both sides watched it bounce.
No, not a fullback. Half, number 14 maybe.

I still can't get it out of my mind. I watched Mason playing fullback, let the ball bounce, twice in same the game, when I thought he had every chance of catching it. Both sides watched it bounce.
No, not a fullback. Half, number 14 maybe.
No14’to cover what position though? Hooker, lock?

Why can’t we just repeat the Nofoaluma situation, five him a payout and tell him he’s free to leave ?
I had high hopes for him, but he’s been like a deer in headlights, it’s simply not going to work.
Contracts don't work that way - if he doesn't accept the figure he doesn't have to and just picks up his money by turning up for training and games.

That won’t be hard to fix, simply tell him he’s looking at 4 years in reserve grade if he stays or deliberately miss training and get a nice little payout to go elsewhere.
He can report for training and pick up a lazy $550 per year no problems. Reserve grade plays early so he's free most Saturday nights as well!

That won’t be hard to fix, simply tell him he’s looking at 4 years in reserve grade if he stays or deliberately miss training and get a nice little payout to go elsewhere.
Why would he deliberately miss training?

not when his parents are sooking because Galvin’s development has scared them and they think their son should walk into the side as opposed to earning it, and especially after the club had the kid training with the NRL side over preseason and paid for his surgery and rehab after his ankle injury.

there are two sides to every story, Vicious. quite frankly these are people I don’t want at the club if they don’t want to earn their place.

perspective.

This is the problem when you want to be a ”development club”… it’s not about his parents or the kid thinking he can “walk into the side “ … how likely is it that this kid is playing in front of $1.2m a year player Luai or the new messiah Galvin anytime soon ?

Very small right ?You can’t really blame them for chasing fame and fortune elsewhere compared to being stuck in reserves here for years if he wants to play 6…and he has the option of “walking in “ to Rugby Yawnion or another club

Of course we can also get a situation where the messiah moves onto another team and the guy coming through has already left and you end up with nobody … see Tedesco/ Paps..

The “Development club” has worked for Penrith … but if the Tigers want to do the same .. then they need to build the team around Galvin …but … he needs to turn out to be just as good as Cleary and they need to be producing other talent around him in more numbers than what they are doing now …

Last edited:
There is some suggestion by a poster in a NBWT thread on x about Heamasi Makasini that Onitoni maybe on his way out of WT.
That guy is hit and miss, but does generally know more than most about juniors.

He did claim that Haumole would 1000% be at the Tigers, he's also firmly in the Fulton + Pascoe + Lee camp, so may have had some access to knowledge removed.

Find it hard to believe that a player who's injured and not even been training, would get so upset about another junior coming in to first grade that he'd just want to walk out on his contract. It's not as if he's been overlooked, he's sitting on the sidelines. He's a year away from competing for first grade so current form is irrelevant to him.

I'd back Benji to have a few words with him to calm the nerves... It may be that Luai, Galvin and Latu is too much competition for the kid to bear, but who knows what may happen with injuries, form etc. I could see Large becoming a great fullback.

We definitely can't afford to lose him or meekly give him up to another club. He's one of the very few fast juniors we have, Makasini is much more about power than pace, Large is a combo of both.

Latest posts

Back