Some mail

Had a chat to someone who has good contact with players today.

The playing and coaching group are in great spirits and there is a strong belief in what they are doing and what is possible for the group.

They really feel the side is on the brink of doing very good things, they just need Brooks and, and Doueihi to execute things. That aside, future years with a change of halves if they can't get it done has everyone excited for what can be achieved.

He said this is the selling point for future halves targets. Basically the sell is "we have the pack, our outside men are doing the job and will get better with the like of Tupou and Bula, we just need you (the half target) to be the missing piece of the puzzle". Batemen will be selling that mindset to Williams.

Papalii knocking the Warriors back is an example of the belief the group have.

This is from a good friend of a player.

Hope it's true.

Its funny Ive heard the same thing. Two years ago a players brother (actually I suppose it doesnt matter anymore, it was Liddles) told me the place was completely toxic, a lot of the players didnt get on and there was no comradery at all. I've heard this year is the best its been in years, and despite the terrible start to the year the players are completely united. Small victories and all that I guess.

Does anyone know who is in charge of our attack, because I guarantee if I had our team for 1 month they would be well trilled, I just don’t get how the hell they don’t know what to do , they spend every day together , can only be one of two things ,
1) they are not been drilled properly , which seems strange
2) they are to lazy to get themselves into position and no-one is calling the plays
I would love to be a fly on the fence at a Tigers training session just to see what the hell they do
I can tell you BP that if they keep going side to side passing the ball,not only will they get picked off easily by the defense....they will keep going in a backward direction...stand deep run hard on the ball,look for the gap and support the ball carrier,if you make 5 mtrs forward its better than 5 back...

I appreciate your info KS,it always makes you feel better with some positive input even though many of us are not just frustrated but down right angry atm...Winston has only vented what many have known for years about Luke,and I have been a critic of Lukes for years as well as given him credit on the odd occasion..
The one question I will ask not just you but all on the forum is..
If Sheens said Luke is our 7 and didnt let him go why is Brooks playing like a busted arse and gone backwards under his coaching,lets face it he has the club icon in the coaching ranks and played beside him for years,wouldnt you think Benji would know his game by now and develope it ??
I think for all the coaching praises that Sheens got over the years he lacks in the man management department and this is maybe where the problem lies....
I suppose we should just sit back and see if this coaching experiment works out,hopefully once again "short term pain for long term gain"and maybe an improvement on the field will get us some wins this season..cheers mate....
We‘ve had some great half coaches in the ranks and literally none of them have been able to improve Brooks’ game, except for Cleary to a certain extent for a short while. I honestly don’t know what it is about this club that they cannot see the writing on the wall and that writing is that Brooks is just a bog average first grader and certainly no leader which is what a good halfback is supposed to be.

He might hold down another position in the NRL team because he’s dedicated, a good defender and fairly quick, but a halfback he is not and the club keeping him in this position year after year hoping for a miracle change in form is just the most incredibly frustrating thing i have ever had to endure as a supporter of this club. Why are they all so unmovable on this? Are they really expecting things to change after all these years? It’s not like he’s a rookie trying to develop his skills, his career is nearly over for crying out loud!

I’m honestly at the end of it with this club, as they keep going down the same failed path again and again. I like Brooks as a person, I really do, but surely even he has to know he’s just not up to it? You would think you would step down out of respect for his teammates and the supporters. This whole repeated scenario is a real slap in the face for long suffering supporters and the players who do bust their butts each week, and who just want to taste some success once in a while!

Mate I'll explain it. Brooks has a certain amount of talent and he plays a certain game. It's not coaching that'll fix him or his teammates or anything like that.

The real issue is that as bad as Brooks has been the alternative options have been significantly worse. It's not close either.

All the noise out of the club backed up by who they are targeting in recruitment also suggests that the club recognizes that problem we have with our halfback. I'll go even further and state we don't have a ball player at the club and Sheens even mentioned this.

Another point is that Sheens hasn't really stated Luke is our 7. He is picking him there but he is actively recruiting for that role. So short term and I agree with this and so should any unbiased fan is that Brooks is our best option in the halves. Longer term we need a quality 7 and Brooks isn't that guy.
Brooks thrives when there's a lot of second phase play, he can find a gap when play breaks down and he does support well on long range line breaks, but his inability to adapt to any other style in over 170 games is ultimately why he will never be a good NRL player.
That said, I do think as the year goes on there will be more second phase created by this team and he will find some form. Will the tigers win some games at the back end of this year? Yes.
Does that justify keeping LB on as our no.7? No.

Spot on, “ man management “ a key phrase.
Look at the greats Gibson, Bennett, Bellamy , Robinson and numerous others, they have super man management skills built on empathy and understanding combined with individual and group goals.
One of the hardest leadership skills but oh so important.
A father figure. A pillar of respect.
It's lost today unfortunately.

Does anyone know who is in charge of our attack, because I guarantee if I had our team for 1 month they would be well trilled, I just don’t get how the hell they don’t know what to do , they spend every day together , can only be one of two things ,
1) they are not been drilled properly , which seems strange
2) they are to lazy to get themselves into position and no-one is calling the plays
I would love to be a fly on the fence at a Tigers training session just to see what the hell they do
I agree, but I'm also confused most of the stuff we're crap at should be their bread and butter, this is stuff they should be doing from the age of 8.

Had a chat to someone who has good contact with players today.

The playing and coaching group are in great spirits and there is a strong belief in what they are doing and what is possible for the group.

They really feel the side is on the brink of doing very good things, they just need Brooks and, and Doueihi to execute things. That aside, future years with a change of halves if they can't get it done has everyone excited for what can be achieved.

He said this is the selling point for future halves targets. Basically the sell is "we have the pack, our outside men are doing the job and will get better with the like of Tupou and Bula, we just need you (the half target) to be the missing piece of the puzzle". Batemen will be selling that mindset to Williams.

Papalii knocking the Warriors back is an example of the belief the group have.

This is from a good friend of a player.

Hope it's true.
Eh there is some talent there. They are just not on the same page. Our halves are shot mentally.

You've been hiding in plain sight for a long time sir!

View attachment 4997

You've been hiding in plain sight for a long time sir!

View attachment 4997
A lot of vitriol has crept into a few posts just recently that I haven't seen for a long time, and I reckon it's about time to cut it out.
We're all on the same Team here and we all want Our Team to win.
Anyone that's got a lot of frustration and rage inside them, go and punch the palings of your fence or something, please dont take it out on others.

Thanks for posting.

IMO it sounds made up - Paps but is what got me. Him allegedly knocking back the Warriors isn't a sign of anything but him being stuck with a contract.

Of course he's not going anywhere. He tried for most of last year, didn't work then won't work now.

He made a silly choice and now he has to live with it.

I can tell you BP that if they keep going side to side passing the ball,not only will they get picked off easily by the defense....they will keep going in a backward direction...stand deep run hard on the ball,look for the gap and support the ball carrier,if you make 5 mtrs forward its better than 5 back...

We have had 3 good attacking structured motions in 7 games. All involved directness, decoys and balls out the back on a spread. 2 plays to the right side and 1 on the left so far this year (including the trials). For whatever reason we haven’t even attempted to do it outside of those 3 attempts.

We have had 3 good attacking structured motions in 7 games. All involved directness, decoys and balls out the back on a spread. 2 plays to the right side and 1 on the left so far this year (including the trials). For whatever reason we haven’t even attempted to do it outside of those 3 attempts.
But what gets me so pissed off , is that raiders friendly game we look so good in attack and defence, what the hell happened

But what gets me so pissed off , is that raiders friendly game we look so good in attack and defence, what the hell happened
We have not played the raiders reserve grade side again,maybe Lee can put in a request that our opposition can only put reserve grade sides out against us.

A lot of vitriol has crept into a few posts just recently that I haven't seen for a long time, and I reckon it's about time to cut it out.
We're all on the same Team here and we all want Our Team to win.
Anyone that's got a lot of frustration and rage inside them, go and punch the palings of your fence or something, please dont take it out on others.
Feel free to not read any of the content here that bothers you.

Feel free to not read any of the content here that bothers you.
How can you be bothered by something if you haven't yet read it? Any time someone expresses concern or offense at some of the rubbish being posted on here lately this is used and it really makes no sense at all. How about just stop posting negative rubbish on a forum meant for light discussion about a sports team we all support

How can you be bothered by something if you haven't yet read it? Any time someone expresses concern or offense at some of the rubbish being posted on here lately this is used and it really makes no sense at all. How about just stop posting negative rubbish on a forum meant for light discussion about a sports team we all support
Got to love the old argument of "if you don't like it dont read it".....that's always baffled me when people use that as a legitimate point. Like you say, how do you know you don't like it if you don't read it.

Last edited:
So we just post positive stuff?

Back