Stefano Utoikamanu #241

Stephano is a rampaging tackle busting forward and i hope he's in the run on side
I agree, but wouldn't that mean he would be more impactful off the bench running at tired opposition?

For what it's worth, I have him starting but if you were to use each of our players for their best-suited role for the team, then you could start with Twal (who can tackle all day, sures-up the middle but has little explosive power) then bring on Stefano around the 20-minute mark who can punch holes in a tired defense...

Just thinking out loud...

I agree, but wouldn't that mean he would be more impactful off the bench running at tired opposition?

For what it's worth, I have him starting but if you were to use each of our players for their best-suited role for the team, then you could start with Twal (who can tackle all day, sures-up the middle but has little explosive power) then bring on Stefano around the 20-minute mark who can punch holes in a tired defense...

Just thinking out loud...
That's what I like to see. A smarter Bench. Cleary got it right by pulling people when they were tired not when it was time.

We have some real battering rams in Klemmer, Ice and Stefano.
We seem to lack the 80 minute players and Twal will fill that role, though he has to keep pace with the team. Yet if he isn't having to do all the work that will happen.

We need an energiser bunny. Any idea if Nathan Hindmarsh has any kids?

From ABC​

After struggling through 2022, Stefano Utoikamanu is poised to continue his rise​

Stefano Utoikamanu's path to the top, like that of most football prodigies, was supposed to be simple.

Key points:​

• Stefano Utoikamanu will captain Wests Tigers in their trial match against the Warriors
  • The 22-year-old is counted as one of the best young forwards in rugby league
  • Utoikamanu was selected in an extended New South Wales Origin squad in 2021 before injury slowed him down last season

Three games off the bench in his rookie year? Check. A stellar sophomore campaign where he earned selection in an extended New South Wales Origin squad? Check.

In 2022, everything else that happens to players with Utoikamanu's promise was meant to keep happening.

Instead, the Tigers prop endured a high ankle sprain and a fractured wrist as he played just nine matches in the club's forgettable wooden spoon season.

Even when Utoikamanu, still counted as one of the best young forwards in the league, did take the field last season he never felt like himself.

"It was frustrating. I got injured early on, came back early then I had to take another break. I missed heaps of games and even the games I played I felt like I didn't play my best," Utoikamanu said.

"But I just want to put that behind me now.

"I was training a fair bit even before I came back, even when I was injured. I wanted to come back ready to go and I'm just keen to rip in and play."

Utoikamanu's work ethic is the stuff champions are made of – in his youth, he made a point of putting in extra training sessions on Christmas Day, just to try and find whatever edge he could.

It's part of the reason he's seen as a future leader at the Tigers and why he'll captain the side in their first trial of the year against the Warriors on Thursday night.

Even at 22, Utoikamanu wants to show the way for the Tigers pack, something he's eager to do in conjunction with star recruit David Klemmer.

"I want to stay healthy, that's the main thing. But I also want to be a leader of this pack, just like Klem is, I want to work with him to make this team better," Utoikamanu said.

"It's good to build a bit of a base for the year ahead, that's what I missed last year. I kept getting injured and it stuffed up my year but I'm really keen to start the year strong and go all the way."

Tim Sheens has chosen an inexperienced team for his first match back in charge but Utoikamanu's performance will be of particular interest for the veteran coach.

With a spot as Klemmer's front-row partner up for grabs, Utoikamanu will be looking to seize it with both hands and he knows that simple grunt work won't be enough for him to land the job.

Sheens and the Tigers have made no secret of the style they intend to play this season – there will be passes and plenty of them, regardless of who has the ball.

It's a welcome change for Utoikamanu after the bash-and-barge game he's played in the past.

"Sheensy's all about getting the basics right and everyone being able to play footy. Last year we didn't actually play too much footy if you get me, especially in the forwards – it was a lot of one-out stuff," Utoikamanu said.

"Sheensy is really trying to bring the passing into it, especially with the forwards, I need to pass a bit more myself.

"That's the footy we want to play, we want to have all options at all times."

The Tigers will also welcome back centre Tommy Taulau, who missed all of last year with a knee injury, for the match which will also mark the debut of new recruits Charlie Staines and Brandon Wakeham at fullback and halfback, respectively
Future captain if he earns it.

Before last week, I had been bitterly disappointed with Stefano's efforts this season. He seemed to be running at half pace, was having next to zero impact and, in truth, looked like he wanted to be anywhere else, but on the field.
His last 2 weeks have been at a level I was hoping for all season. He is running with purpose, smashing tacklers out of the way and is having a major impact every time he handles the ball!
I have no idea why the sudden turnaround but it is welcome and a not insignificant reason our pack has held it's own against Manly, and outplayed the Panthers.
Welcome back Steff!

He actually has a history of starting average and then exploding the very next game.

Came back from Origin camp and within a week was a whole different player.

Last year had a poor season then all of sudden turned it on before getting injured.

Trail was outstanding but then looked poor round 1. Last few weeks have been back to his best.

I think it may just be the type of player he is - if he finds consistency, the sky is the limit.

‘I want to be the next Tigers captain’: Stefano Utoikamanu

Stefano Utoikamanu wants to be the next Wests Tigers captain.

Apisai Koroisau will remain in the role for as long as he wants it, but the Wests Tigers prop has already been earmarked as leadership material.

Despite being only 22, Utoikamanu is the club’s delegate to the Rugby League Players’ Association and skippered the side during a preseason trial.

It is a nod towards the Parramatta junior’s potential to wear the captain’s armband.

“Definitely down the track, I want to be a captain of this club,” Utoikamanu said.

“I had a little bit of a taste in [the] preseason when I was captain in the trial game. It probably wasn’t as hard as I was thinking, I was just overthinking everything. I should have just kept everything simple in getting my message to the boys.

“In time, that will come.”

Tigers coaches Tim Sheens and Benji Marshall named Utoikamanu a member of the leadership group during the preseason and he is learning as much as he can from Koroisau.

“He surprised me as a captain, he actually talks a lot more than I thought he would,” Utoikamanu said of Koroisau.

“He’s pretty good at getting a simple message out without saying much. He gets the boys on a roll, especially in the morning when the boys are not energised and are a bit flat.

“He’s good at bringing the boys up.”

Tigers teammate Isaiah Papali’i, also a former Eels forward, said Utoikamanu had captaincy credentials.

“He’s quite a quiet dude, but very disciplined and leads by his actions,” Papali’i said.

“I could definitely see him being a captain one day. People will look to him to lead from the front as a prop.

“He led us out in the trials, which was pretty cool. That’s a pretty good stepping stone to eventually getting that role.

“He took his job seriously which is what you want because it’s a big role, whether it be a trial or a normal season game. He did well.”

Utoikamanu is considered one of the most promising front-rowers in the game. The Parramatta junior was part of Brad Fittler’s NSW extended squad for the third game of the 2021 series and has been part of the Emerging Blues camps.

Having missed a chunk of last season with an ankle injury, the Australian Schoolboys star has dropped down the pecking order of Blues contenders. However, he is hopeful that an improved run of form from the Tigers could aid his prospects.

“When you see the players that are in the [representative] teams, they are all top tier and playing in the [top] eight, that’s mostly where they get the team from,” he said.

“If we can get up there, it gives you a big chance of getting in here.”

After losing their opening seven games, the Tigers have now won two back-to-back. They face a difficult task in extending the sequence to three, coming up against the NRL’s hottest team, South Sydney, at Accor Stadium on Saturday.

“We know South Sydney is a pretty dangerous team,” Utoikamanu said. “If everyone in our team turns up and switches in, I reckon we can do a job.”

I can see it now. Next conctract negotiations. “You didn’t make me captain so I signed for the roosters”.

The last player who stated they wanted to be captain was Doueihi. Hopefully Doueihi can come back and have a good career but he has gone backwards at warp speed.

Stef can play but he needs to improve. More busts and less mistakes. I'm not sure he has made many mistakes but he made a big one when we were on the attack last week.

‘I want to be the next Tigers captain’: Stefano Utoikamanu

Stefano Utoikamanu wants to be the next Wests Tigers captain.

Apisai Koroisau will remain in the role for as long as he wants it, but the Wests Tigers prop has already been earmarked as leadership material.

Despite being only 22, Utoikamanu is the club’s delegate to the Rugby League Players’ Association and skippered the side during a preseason trial.

It is a nod towards the Parramatta junior’s potential to wear the captain’s armband.

“Definitely down the track, I want to be a captain of this club,” Utoikamanu said.

“I had a little bit of a taste in [the] preseason when I was captain in the trial game. It probably wasn’t as hard as I was thinking, I was just overthinking everything. I should have just kept everything simple in getting my message to the boys.

“In time, that will come.”

Tigers coaches Tim Sheens and Benji Marshall named Utoikamanu a member of the leadership group during the preseason and he is learning as much as he can from Koroisau.

“He surprised me as a captain, he actually talks a lot more than I thought he would,” Utoikamanu said of Koroisau.

“He’s pretty good at getting a simple message out without saying much. He gets the boys on a roll, especially in the morning when the boys are not energised and are a bit flat.

“He’s good at bringing the boys up.”

Tigers teammate Isaiah Papali’i, also a former Eels forward, said Utoikamanu had captaincy credentials.

“He’s quite a quiet dude, but very disciplined and leads by his actions,” Papali’i said.

“I could definitely see him being a captain one day. People will look to him to lead from the front as a prop.

“He led us out in the trials, which was pretty cool. That’s a pretty good stepping stone to eventually getting that role.

“He took his job seriously which is what you want because it’s a big role, whether it be a trial or a normal season game. He did well.”

Utoikamanu is considered one of the most promising front-rowers in the game. The Parramatta junior was part of Brad Fittler’s NSW extended squad for the third game of the 2021 series and has been part of the Emerging Blues camps.

Having missed a chunk of last season with an ankle injury, the Australian Schoolboys star has dropped down the pecking order of Blues contenders. However, he is hopeful that an improved run of form from the Tigers could aid his prospects.

“When you see the players that are in the [representative] teams, they are all top tier and playing in the [top] eight, that’s mostly where they get the team from,” he said.

“If we can get up there, it gives you a big chance of getting in here.”

After losing their opening seven games, the Tigers have now won two back-to-back. They face a difficult task in extending the sequence to three, coming up against the NRL’s hottest team, South Sydney, at Accor Stadium on Saturday.

“We know South Sydney is a pretty dangerous team,” Utoikamanu said. “If everyone in our team turns up and switches in, I reckon we can do a job.”
You sometimes forget he is only 22.
Those were the days.

Latest posts

Back