Stefano Utoikamanu #241

if we lose Stef who do we replace him with ?
A random player that offers exactly what he does at half the price? The guy hasnt produced shit since he has been here. He isnt worth more than 700/750 today. Are the Tigers willing to pay overs and buy him for 900 now in the hope he lives up to being that value and then repays the Tigers to stay on for another contract in 4 years time.....I doubt it with Richo around.

Last edited:
I see both sides when it comes to Stefano. He’s young and I think he will get better, but he should be doing better than what he’s currently doing. I wouldn’t pay him mega money yet, if we’re gonna give an upgrade I wouldn’t go higher than 700K. I could probably live with 750K max if we have to go that high but anything higher than that at this stage it’s just a waste of cap money.

Reactions: BZN
If our halves and outside backs were good enough to generate tries then Stefano is coming off the back fence on the back of that momentum. There’s a term in NFL called complimentary football, meaning your defense thrives off your offense and vice versa. At the moment our backs are making our forwards look shit, and the frustration is very evident. Stef is elite. End of story.

If our halves and outside backs were good enough to generate tries then Stefano is coming off the back fence on the back of that momentum. There’s a term in NFL called complimentary football, meaning your defense thrives off your offense and vice versa. At the moment our backs are making our forwards look shit, and the frustration is very evident. Stef is elite. End of story.
Spot on.

Needs to start showing it. Start of story

Wouldn’t say he’s elite. AFB, JFH, Hass I would fall under that category Stef ain’t elite yet but he does have the potential to be.

Wouldn’t say he’s elite. AFB, JFH, Hass I would fall under that category Stef ain’t elite yet but he does have the potential to be.
It’s all relative, stick him in front of that Broncos back line and the whole league world would be pulling his pud.

Stef was shown up real bad against Hass, looked like under 8s vs an adult. If Hass, AFB, JFH are the standard for elite, Stef is far far far far far far far from elite.

A front rowers job is really quite basic. Lay a platform for your stars to go to work. Ok stars, time to clock on.
Couldnt agree more, its as basic as it gets, be aggressive and lay the platform for the halves and backs. The day he does that and then backs it up week after week you can start to call him elite.

Couldnt agree more, its as basic as it gets, be aggressive and lay the platform for the halves and backs. The day he does that and then backs it up week after week you can start to call him elite.
He started the year on fire.

My thoughts…When you keep doing your job, which is bloody tough in the FR and the team can’t capitalise on it there must come a time where you think “why am I busting my gut”. It’s the reason I’m sure his manager is fielding calls from top clubs,

It could be construed as a lack of character but players have short NRL careers. Hard to blame him if that’s his thought process.

I'll just say- Tigers are unlikely to win here.

Either they will pay Utoikamanu on potential- and will be get criticised for paying too much.

Or they won't pay overs & lose him- only to be criticised for losing a talent of his calibre.

I'd err on the side of overpaying on talent.

I'll just say- Tigers are unlikely to win here.

Either they will pay Utoikamanu on potential- and will be get criticised for paying too much.

Or they won't pay overs & lose him- only to be criticised for losing a talent of his calibre.

I'd err on the side of overpaying on talent.
Gotta see him with Luai and Turuva and a year older Galvin & Bula. Plus hopefully another young attacking weapon we unearth.

Our problem is point scoring, not book ends.

He does have the potential to hit it though, but I agree he’s gotta do more.
I don’t think he does…
He doesn’t have the mongrel all the top tier guys have…
A bloke like JFH loves the contest and collision… so does Collins and JWH
Stefano doesn’t have that for mine - and without it, he just won’t get top tier…

I don’t think he does…
Stefano doesn’t have that for mine - and without it, he just won’t get top tier…
If he’s willing to change the way he plays I think he can do it. But he’s no where near it at this stage. If we do manage to keep him after this contract, unless he gets to that next level I don’t think we will keep him after that one ends.

I don’t think he does…
He’s never played in an NRL blockbuster. Put him in an elite competitive environment and see how he goes. Much like Brooks at Manly, the environment counts.

Members online

Back