Stefano Utoikamanu #241

If he's legitimate thinking he's worth 800, 900k ... we're better off signing a few up and comers like Willison, Mooney and the UK lad, Matt Nicholson.

Players like that who won't break the bank and bring something to the team.
I’m pretty sure Mooney recently resigned with the Raiders. I would have liked him at the WT.

Do the people suggesting we let Stef leave realise how hard he would be to replace?

People just spit the dummy on here and are hysterical. You don’t build a good team by constantly letting your best players go.
If he’ll stay for $650 no problem. Anything north and he can Phuket off and be the florist he is destined to be.

The top teams are able to keep players because they take less than market value to stay. Teams like ours have to pay above market value to keep them. Until we get a team playing to their value or above across the board the merry go round will not stop

I tend to agree. Take the Broncos for example, they have that one/two punch with Haas normally followed by Carrigan. If anything, I am seeing an alarming slip with Klemmer - he is serviceable but not threatening.

If Stef had another metre eater beside him, I wonder how he would look?
He certainly wouldn't pass him the ball!

Do the people suggesting we let Stef leave realise how hard he would be to replace?

People just spit the dummy on here and are hysterical. You don’t build a good team by constantly letting your best players go.
True, but only pay him for what he's worth!
Maybe between $600 - 700k which I assume he is all he is being offered, hence the dummy spit on effort? Sulking or headspace is with the fairies. Reading to much from his scrap book from 2 years ago. Hasn't moved on.

Don’t disagree but Woods ( and Klemmer) both played for Australia. That normally doesn’t happen if you don’t show something.
Stef still has a lot of football growing up to do, and whether he can ever do it for us is the $64 question.
Maybe he should be working on his ball distribution skills rather than trying to cast him as our tough guy.
I like your last paragraph Hb61, could well be his neich to expand on.

True, but only pay him for what he's worth!
Maybe between $600 - 700k which I assume he is all he is being offered, hence the dummy spit on effort? Sulking or headspace is with the fairies. Reading to much from his scrap book from 2 years ago. Hasn't moved on.
We spend a lot of our cap topping up players for the following year every year. We have space.

We have to manage the cap but the reality is there isn’t anyone at Stef’s level on the market. If we keep losing our best players no one else is going to come to a sinking ship.

I decided to watch his first stint again - and I reckon anyone commenting here should do the same. He lacked any intent in both attack and defence. Not one dirty hit up and didn't hit anyone with any force at all. Klemmer played with more intent and that's saying something. He is never going to be the enforcer we need unless he finds some way to get angry. He's serviceable as a 2nd prop only. It's a shame as the fella has so much potential. Yes, he played better when he came on for his second stint, but by then the game was already gone.

I decided to watch his first stint again - and I reckon anyone commenting here should do the same. He lacked any intent in both attack and defence. Not one dirty hit up and didn't hit anyone with any force at all. Klemmer played with more intent and that's saying something. He is never going to be the enforcer we need unless he finds some way to get angry. He's serviceable as a 2nd prop only. It's a shame as the fella has so much potential. Yes, he played better when he came on for his second stint, but by then the game was already gone.
Bench prop at best.

Compare Stef to Spencer Lenui..about 10kgs smaller,but twice the intent
Spencer has more intent that most other forwards, but to be fair Spencer plays less minutes off the bench. Not sure how many games he has ever started.

In a good team that plays on the front foot Stef will be off the back fence when he runs the ball and be nearly unrecognisable. Haas like. When he’s dominating NRL and playing for Australia I’ll play the violin.

In a good team that plays on the front foot Stef will be off the back fence when he runs the ball and be nearly unrecognisable. Haas like. When he’s dominating NRL and playing for Australia I’ll play the violin.
Sadly I think that violin will be in the case for a hell of a long time. He will never be in the same class as Haas, unless Haas has a leg amputated.

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
I like Stef and i hope he stay's but not at any price, we have to put a ceiling on the offer or we'll lose out elsewhere.
IMO Stef doesn't look like he's got his heart in it here similarly to Ice, whether or not he's kicking stones i dunno. But he isnt playing like someone who see's himself as a future leader/captain, but he is young and props usually peak later. If you were to compare the out put of Stef with Sam Fainu this yeah there's a sizeable gap.

After only a few months Spencer Leniu has pledged he wants to be a Chook for life…. Why won’t Sefano say the same….?we never hear that from the tigers players

Its hard when there is low poral at your place of employment.

We know in our own industries who are the best and most desirable.

Need some wins badly to convince those like Stef there is definite upside to staying here at the Tigers

Back