Tallyn Da Silva #270

KingRobbie

Staff member
Forum Leader

NRL teams Round 14: Origin stars rested, Jack Bird out for Dragons, SuperCoach advice​

A host of teams will be without their Origin stars this weekend, with several players confirmed to be rested, while a Tigers rookie could be set for his NRL debut. See the full Round 14 teams.
Brent Read, Michael Carayannis and Rob Sutherland
May 30, 2023 - 6:47PM

The Wests Tigers are ready to hand a first grade debut to one of their much-hyped teenage prodigies should Api Koroisau struggle to back up from Wednesday night’s State of Origin opener.

Tallyn Da Silva has been a star in the lower grades and he now stands on the verge of a remarkable first grade debut at the age of 18, having been selected on an extended interchange bench by coach Tim Sheens for Friday night’s game against Canberra.

It is understood he has every chance to come into the 17 should Koroisau battle to back up after Origin.

A local product, Da Silva played his junior rugby league at the East Campbelltown Eagles and graduated from famed nursery, Westfields Sports High.

Only last year, he played a game for Easts Campbelltown alongside his father Johnny, a local legend who retired at the end of last season at the age of 43.

A member of the club’s undefeated Harold Matthews side last year, Da Silva has spent this season honing his craft alongside Koroisau. He could yet receive the chance to emulate him depending on whether the Blues star emerges from Origin I unscathed.

The game against the Raiders promises to have an edge to it given it will mark the first time Tigers forward John Bateman has played against Canberra since he walked out on the club with one year remaining on his deal.

Surely this is bull dust?
Let the kid mature, let his body harden, let his experience deepen.
He is not physically ready…the kid is still very thin!
Don’t want to put pressure on him but fair dinkum Tim…this is madness.

Highly doubt he debuts now given he hasn't even played cup yet, who writes this stuff
And plays off the bench in Jersey Flegg for short stints behind Danny Ghantous. And of slim build!
Not ready in my opinion.

And plays off the bench in Jersey Flegg for short stints behind Danny Ghantous. And of slim build!
Not ready in my opinion.
I don’t think he’s ready either but Sheens and Marshall see the kid every day. there’s a reason why he’s in the 22. they obviously believe he is our next best option considering Ngatikaura is injured and Smith hasn’t played hooker since the trials. very interested to see our squad update 24 hours from kickoff.

I hate to think that COVID & our previous lack of direction on elite junior pathways has not seen a highly rated, talented and committed local Magpies junior like Rua Ngatikaura entirely miss his opportunity to make NRL!!

It is starting to look like that (compounded by injury) - & it would be a travesty!

I want to see the best kids from both the Macarthur and Balmain junior regions constantly knocking on the NRL door!

Hasn't happened since Sheens first coaching stint - when partisan fans could debate the relative merits of Farah or De Gois (FARAH obviously!!)....

For the halfwits who rate Lee and Pascoe - please identify their Damascus moment when they realised the current direction is best - after taking us in never-ending loops and down dead end streets for years??

Sheens plays these punks off a break when it comes to football!!!

I’m thinking this may be a curve ball from Timmy.
Unless injured imo Api will play, at least part of the game, with Simpkin as the back up.
Da Silva has been mentioned, and is obviously on the radar, but not this time.

cant think of a better sub 4 Simpkin,while Simpkin is subbing 4 Api.Rua looks lazy as does most of the Reggies

Best Tiger's junior I have seen since Robbie...this kid will be a star.

But...he is only just 18.

And...he is small.

No way they are going to play him and let Josh Papalili and Tapane run at him.

This would just be for experience / train with the first grade squad all week.

Then again...Sheens is famous / infamous for playing teenagers.

If he does play, it would have to be 10 mins before half time / 10 before the end. You could not let some of those Raider's beasts run at his shoulders at this stage of his development.

Back