Team for the Broncos

Doueihi and Brooks cannot be given a starting role.

Staines did nothing wrong at fullback against the Dogs until he was displaced for Doueihi, I'd like to see him back there. Matamua into lock and Pole into the front row rotation. Twal to start.

Would like to see Laurie given at go at 6. I feel he's more of a natural 6 than a fullback and being two passes off the PTB would see him more involved. He's slippery and if he leaves Wakeham to direct the game I reckon he could go OK there.

1. Staines
2. Tupou
3. Naden
4. Kepaoa
5. To'a
6. Laurie
7. Wakeham

13. Matamua
12. Bateman
11. Papali'i
10. Klemmer
9. Koroisau
8. Twal

14. Simpkin (if fit, if not Doueihi)
15. Utoikamanu
16. Blore
17. Pole

On top of that AD does have a contract and will be here next year… so why persevere with Brooks?

Brooks is better than AD. Why do we care about him having a contract next season. If anything I'd argue that is a good reason to figure out where/if AD fits in anywhere.

I find this argument stupid though. They've both been really poor.

It’s no surprise that our backline is to blame for our losses. On paper it is the worst backline by far we need a new fullback two centres & two new halves our wingers of Staines & Tupou are decent players. That’s where Sheens stuffed up this year by not releasing more backs & signing new ones until this happens we will be at the bottom. In the forwards we need for aggression. Twal & Seyfarth need to go and replaced with two aggressive running forwards.

Changing the spine week to week is a recipe for disaster. I would stick with Laurie at the back ran 187 metres in the Newcastle game he can do a job even if he is not a long-term answer.
AJ to back row Douehi to centre Wakeham and Brooks( Sheens has backed him) halves.
Who ever he picks their speed with Reynolds calling the shots has the potential to get ugly.

Our completions are our weakness.
We need positional stability so that teamwork has a chance to develop.
While I agree on the stability point surely that can't be until we have a suitable combination to stick with.

I wanted to see Daino in the halves during the trials to see what he could spark, but I guess we now have to experiment during the competition. I expect this week that Sheens will stick with Brooks and Wakeham with Daino on the bench to give him some backline cover.

Brooks will be overwhelmed against Brisbane so I trust we will get an opportunity to see Wakeham and Daino in the halves. Once the game is gone, he has to work on finding a successful halves combination.

Once the game is gone, he has to work on finding a successful halves combination.

My concern is that this isn't possible. I'm no Sheens acolyte and he let Hastings and Madden go who would at least gives us more options. If we don't have the cattle what can he do. Same as Madge.

While I agree on the stability point surely that can't be until we have a suitable combination to stick with.

I wanted to see Daino in the halves during the trials to see what he could spark, but I guess we now have to experiment during the competition. I expect this week that Sheens will stick with Brooks and Wakeham with Daino on the bench to give him some backline cover.

Brooks will be overwhelmed against Brisbane so I trust we will get an opportunity to see Wakeham and Daino in the halves. Once the game is gone, he has to work on finding a successful halves combination.
Yes, I understand what you’re saying. I just think that a click n stick strategy doesn’t progress the team as fast as a pick n stick does when all you have to choose from is subpar players.
Those subpar players can improve each other if they can develop some harmonic motion.

time to change things up.

1. Staines
2. Tupou
3. Doueihi
4. Kepaoa
5. Naden
6. Laurie
7. Wakeham
8. Pole
9. Koroisau
10. Klemmer
11. Papali’i
12. Bateman
13. Matamua

14. Simpkin
15. Utoikamanu
16. Twal
17. Blore

My concern is that this isn't possible. I'm no Sheens acolyte and he let Hastings and Madden go who would at least gives us more options. If we don't have the cattle what can he do. Same as Madge.
Hastings is now the golden child at Knights, while Madden is killing it at the capras. If Reynolds can’t play then Madden is game ready and will no doubt do a good job.

time to change things up.

1. Staines
2. Tupou
3. Doueihi
4. Kepaoa
5. Naden
6. Laurie
7. Wakeham
8. Pole
9. Koroisau
10. Klemmer
11. Papali’i
12. Bateman
13. Matamua

14. Simpkin
15. Utoikamanu
16. Twal
17. Blore
On form that’s probably our best team, as long as Utoikamanu gets plenty of game time. I wouldn’t mind if Sheens stuck with that for a few games.
Brooks can play cup while he looks for his mojo?

Nothings changed , just moving the deck chairs around . AD to fullback over Staines--rediculous. AD anywhere- rediculous. Brooks the best of the worst halves we have- not ideal. Simkin would add spark and toughness in the halves- it's worth a try. Wish we had Desi or Flannagan to kick some arse.

On form that’s probably our best team, as long as Utoikamanu gets plenty of game time. I wouldn’t mind if Sheens stuck with that for a few games.
Brooks can play cup while he looks for his mojo?
Stef is currently not playing to the level we would’ve hoped for. the bench might be the rocket he needs. Pole starting ensures we don’t lose any firepower.

as for Brooks, he needs time in cup more than anyone. would be good for him at this stage.

I’d give Staines an extended run at FB, we need to see if there’s a possible long term 1 there before we go to the market again

Douehi to centre, Kepaoa I feel provides more in the back row, so move Bateman to 13 to accomodate, Pole to front row rotation

Stick with Brooks and Wakeham but make it official by switching their numbers and thereby admitting it is Wakeham’s job to steer the team around the park and Brooksy runs free

Toa for the vacant wing spot, not Nofo

Average age of our 1-5 is 23, worth giving them some time

Barring injury or a disaster I’d leave it unchanged for a month and even tell them that

Staines did nothing wrong at fullback against the Dogs until he was displaced for Doueihi, I'd like to see him back there. Matamua into lock and Pole into the front row rotation. Twal to start.

Would like to see Laurie given at go at 6. I feel he's more of a natural 6 than a fullback and being two passes off the PTB would see him more involved. He's slippery and if he leaves Wakeham to direct the game I reckon he could go OK there.

1. Staines
2. Tupou
3. Naden
4. Kepaoa
5. To'a
6. Laurie
7. Wakeham

13. Matamua
12. Bateman
11. Papali'i
10. Klemmer
9. Koroisau
8. Twal

15. Utoikamanu
16. Blore
17. Pole
Yeah that’s the team I’d be running with, only option would be Bateman to lock Matamua to bench, Blore to 2nd row. This way I could bring Matamua on slowly from the bench.

Brooks if we have to stick with him and Tim always gets what he wants than analyse him
He has speed and tackles a lot better then he used to but -
His last tackle decision making is poor and kicking game ordinary
So put him where his decision making less critical in the Centers
IMO I would put Douehi in the Centers as well
Task them to run draw and pass and put our wingers into space
WT wingers never get the ball certainly not with any overlap or room to move
I'd bring back Daino to FB . And pick our best 2 wingers at handling the high ball as they will get plenty of bombs coming their way
I'd tell Daino one last chance and " don't let bombs bounce "

Brooks if we have to stick with him and Tim always gets what he wants than analyse him
He has speed and tackles a lot better then he used to but -
His last tackle decision making is poor and kicking game ordinary
So put him where his decision making less critical in the Centers
IMO I would put Douehi in the Centers as well
Task them to run draw and pass and put our wingers into space
WT wingers never get the ball certainly not with any overlap or room to move
I'd bring back Daino to FB . And pick our best 2 wingers at handling the high ball as they will get plenty of bombs coming their way
I'd tell Daino one last chance and " don't let bombs bounce "
How do you know Brooks is first man up on 5th tackle option? It appears to me like he’s often a 2nd man up? I’ve really got no idea what the coaches are instructing them to do, or how they practice that at training?

1. Staines
2. Tupou
3. Naden
4. Kepaoa
5. To'a
6. Laurie
7. Wakeham

13. Matamua
12. Bateman
11. Papali'i
10. Klemmer
9. Koroisau
8. Twal

15. Utoikamanu
16. Blore
17. Pole
Good side, but would try Simpkin at 7, Wakeham at 6 and BRooks to 14. Brooks could cover the halves, hooker, and fullback , and give him the opportunity to be out of the spotlight and gain confidence. If not he can join AD in the cup side.

Back