The Dead Horse Thread: Marshall isn't a half!

MacDougall

I know we assume that Marshall was only halfback for this one game but it was evident how terrible Marshall is as a playmaker tonight.

Sure he takes some good options occasionally but so does Jarryd Hayne, Darius Boyd, Billy Slater … get it?

These guys come up with big plays on odd occasions and look like champions. If they were stuck in the halves they would be smothered and look poor often, as evidenced on the occasions that Hayne tried to play in the halves.

Marshall, to me, looks like a natural fullback. I've heard it a thousand times. The Tigers would be far better suited with a formation like; 1\. Marshall 6\. Lui 7\. Moltzen 9\. Farah; as it's strongest.

It would be like Campbell at the Titans. Not only would we be creating one of the most dangerous fullbacks in the game, our cover half would be sensational too, as Marshall as a back-up option is far from poor, but as a fullback would be deadly.

Still, dead horse eh? Is anyone ever going to look at Marshall as our weak link. Or are the odd occasions he looks good and competes going to salvage his 6 jersey forever?

P.S I'd like to add I wasn't disappointed with tonights performance. This isn't knee jerk. I, as well as the rest of you I'm sure, believe we were harshly scored on tonight. Our game was a two try loss at worst.

I don't know. He has the ability to set up a lot of plays. He was the player putting lawrence into space.

He just isn't consistent atm throughout the game.

As a halfback, he is the WORST in the NRL. Always has been. The Fonz is the worst coach in the NRL. Because only the worst coach doesn't learn from his mistakes.

he's a 5/8 or a centre (yet his defence is shotty)

leave him at 5/8 never ever move him from 2nd reciever..

Yawn….what a suprise to see Bug back after a loss...thought you'd still be fithy...

Simon was right.... :laughing:

@Balmain Bug said:
As a halfback, he is the WORST in the NRL. Always has been. The Fonz is the worst coach in the NRL. Because only the worst coach doesn't learn from his mistakes.

I assume bug stands for Brainless Uneducated Gimp.

All and sundry know benji is not a 1/2 well nearly every one ..that selection last night with Ashford to 5/8 cost us the game as the structure of the side was screwed, a 1/2 should of been brought up on Monday and the team left as is ..yes some people never learn by there mistakes.

One point in Marshall's game i have always noticed throughout his career is he will not take on the line and take a hit-up. There have been certain games over the past three years where he will deliberately pre-meditate to go out there and do this.
Last week he did this against the Raiders and this week he didn't.
Every single game he HAS done this he has pretty much had a blinder in regards to an all-round half's game.
Benji needs to roll up his sleeves and do the dirty work to relieve the forwards early in the attacking set. When he doesn't do this, in turn it will come back to place pressure on himself later in the set.

@crouching_tiger said:
One point in Marshall's game i have always noticed throughout his career is he will not take on the line and take a hit-up. There have been certain games over the past three years where he will deliberately pre-meditate to go out there and do this.
Last week he did this against the Raiders and this week he didn't.
Every single game he HAS done this he has pretty much had a blinder in regards to an all-round half's game.
Benji needs to roll up his sleeves and do the dirty work to relieve the forwards early in the attacking set. When he doesn't do this, in turn it will come back to place pressure on himself later in the set.

I agree. When he bases his game around running the ball he is a gun. He can get a good kick in but it should be the last option.

His options should be run the footy then pass then kick.

No scapegoat BUDDY. I think for the long term moving Marshall to fullback will increase his effectiveness and decrease his error rate and the amount of dumb plays he comes up with.

But was he not the best option we had available? I think so. Sometimes situations lead to having to fill a gap not adequately but as best as possible. Hopefull Lui will be back next week.

Marshall is not a halfback - agreed.

But at fullback…are you serious? He just doesn't have the body for it. Fullbacks need to put their bodies on the line continually, tackle big props etc - Marshall would get smashed.

He's a good five eigth. He just needs a halfback outside him.

I've love to see Chris Lawrence at fullback - reminds me alot of Garry Jack

Members online

Back