The Melbourne Cup

Considering horses lower legs are tiny in comparison to it's body, running on heavy tracks when they're not used to them surely must be tough for them.
just like athletes after they race you put what they call ice bandages on the feet to cool down.

Considering horses lower legs are tiny in comparison to it's body, running on heavy tracks when they're not used to them surely must be tough for them.
it is always amusing 19,000 races a year in Australia but the naive see one race the Melbourne Cup and an injury and they go racing is unsafe.
Interesting is in Australia we ban some horse medications that they allow in u.s.a and u.k. to race with such as lasix. This drug allows horses that nose bleed to take this drug and continue to race (it hides bleeding attacks) , in Australia we do not allow it as if you bleed you can't race. Hence we do not see many American horses race out here as they can't take the drug.
In u.k. and Japan they allow this drug lasix and when the horses come out for the cup they have to be off the drug for 3 months prior to coming out here. That coupled with our tracks is a reason we get injuries to the European and Japanese horses over here at Cup time

G
it is always amusing 19,000 races a year in Australia but the naive see one race the Melbourne Cup and an injury and they go racing is unsafe.
Interesting is in Australia we ban some horse medications that they allow in u.s.a and u.k. to race with such as lasix. This drug allows horses that nose bleed to take this drug and continue to race (it hides bleeding attacks) , in Australia we do not allow it as if you bleed you can't race. Hence we do not see many American horses race out here as they can't take the drug.
In u.k. and Japan they allow this drug lasix and when the horses come out for the cup they have to be off the drug for 3 months prior to coming out here. That coupled with our tracks is a reason we get injuries to the European and Japanese horses over here at Cup time
Interesting, thanks for the educational post.
It does go to show that when money is involved, agencies on both sides of the fence will try anything.
I've never seen a hooker feed the ball at the locks feet, never crept offside 😉
It was regarded as fact once that boxing was the easiest sport to fix. Easy to fake a knockout.

could have got $6 on Tuesday when I tipped it Cobar, now after the barrier draw it is in to $3.90
Between you and happy, please tell me if any one of these horses, 2-4-7-9, has a genuine chance? (my fav numbers)
So I had a quick read of number 9 Stockman. Tasty odds. Is it a chance brother?
cartoon-horse.8693953_std.png

STOCKMAN

Between you and happy, please tell me if any one of these horses, 2-4-7-9, has a genuine chance? (my fav numbers)
So I had a quick read of number 9 Stockman. Tasty odds. Is it a chance brother?
View attachment 3024

STOCKMAN
Hate to put anyone off picking a horse in the cup so go with your gut but It is a Melbourne Cup plenty if chances but no don't think so.
I do think Deauville Legend has the right barrier, right jockey
As a 3 year old in northern hemisphere time he is well weighted
Sire from Sea the Stars and is well handicapped and should run 3200m
Think just one bet to be honest, thought Lofty was the danger and he is scratched. $3.90 is getting a bit short, but wait for the public money to come for all the roughness and I think it should get back out to $6 if you didn't get on last Tuesday at that price.

And you can add to that the size of the fields ...harder tracks .....

I just think it’s ridiculous Victorians have a public Holiday to watch a horse race.
Put me on record for the mare Montefilia

Do we reckon a horse is capable of winning the big one three years apart?
No that year Vow and Declare won was a strangely run race pace was. The Irish horse on the fence if it hadn't have got blocked would have likely run them all down

Yeah I own a shrare in 3 of them with a group of friends. We go through Shelley Hancox syndications. Are generally low cost & when the horses are hopeless, they offer a free replacement.

Have had a couple of decent ones through her.
mice I had one through Shelley hancox 10 years ago didn't do much but ran at Mooney Valley which was ok

No that year Vow and Declare won was a strangely run race pace was. The Irish horse on the fence if it hadn't have got blocked would have likely run them all down
I'm not sure this field is as good as when Vow and Declare won Jedi .....
Do we reckon a horse is capable of winning the big one three years apart?
Mate I haven't had a solid look yet ...but it isn't the greatest field ....I'd say 6 can win it and V & D is just in that 6

Dependant on the weather ...in no particular order

Montefilia
Deauville Legend
Vow and Declare
Hoo Ya Mal
Lunar Flare
Realms of Flowers

Again will have a solid look Monday night and will put out thoughts Tuesday ......leaning slightly towards either Lunar Flare or Hoo Ya Mal ....but the weather could screw that ..one thing Lunar Flare it likes Flemington and doesn't mind a soft or firm track

I'm not sure this field is as good as when Vow and Declare won Jedi .....

Mate I haven't had a solid look yet ...but it isn't the greatest field ....I'd say 6 can win it and V & D is just in that 6

Dependant on the weather ...in no particular order

Montefilia
Deauville Legend
Vow and Declare
Hoo Ya Mal
Lunar Flare
Realms of Flowers

Again will have a solid look Monday night and will put out thoughts Tuesday ......leaning slightly towards either Lunar Flare or Hoo Ya Mal ....but the weather could screw that ..one thing Lunar Flare it likes Flemington and doesn't mind a soft or firm track
Thanks Happy for your tip.
I'm going to put my life savings on N⁰4 Montefilia, $5 on the nose. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
4&9 for me, how could I possibly go wrong backing fav numbers and what the barber (and happy) have tipped 🙂

Back