The spoon

We started the year with a weak squad and the decision makers released Nofoaluma Gildart Mikaele and Leilua knowing full well we'd wind up with the Spoon. They don't care about Wins/Losses. If you support the Board and CEO, you're a part of the problem.
The only rational explanation would be that Sheens is cleaning the slate for Benji. Which is smart if anything.
We've continued to suffer the same fate time and time again because every successor comes in and has to clean up the mess of someone else. This will be the first time it won't occur, if all things fall to plan and Sheens is able to make the right changes with building the roster.

With the Nofo loaning though, I'm sure Benji would have no issues with him but sees he needs to recapture some of the form/motivation that earned the Dally M winger award.
There's been some noise around him. He's a senior player (also a junior) who the club has heavily invested in. His leadership (mentorship) is vital to setting the standards for the next generation of players.

Last edited:
We started the year with a weak squad and the decision makers released Nofoaluma Gildart Mikaele and Leilua knowing full well we'd wind up with the Spoon. They don't care about Wins/Losses. If you support the Board and CEO, you're a part of the problem.
Those players were useless to us and would not have altered the course of events.
Lending them allowed us to increase our cap space for 23.
This is a huge bonus.
Madge started with a functioning cap of $6m further reduced by our CEO who also got 6 in the bin for his effort.
We can now look forward to a more realistic and functioning cap. I realise it doesnā€™t automatically result in us having a better team and as Ciraldo eluded to, there is more work to do, but we are on the road to recovery.

I agree.

The process that Lee was begging us follow, all the promises last year, his video missive about the season and why Madge was savedā€¦none of it transpired.

And Benji sends his application in at the last minute, thereā€™s a friendly meeting and everything about process etc is thrown up in the air and abandoned..

The only hope, the only genuine chance of a turnaround is wholly dependent upon fresh minds and expertise being injected into the senior ranks of club decision making. This is because these insights trickle down.
People who can consider the shorter and longer consequences of their actions.

At the moment we have a closed shop junta appointing mates. Devoid of ability, their option is to rely on nostalgia and folklore.

Iā€™m not having a go at Tim personally, no chance, but heā€™s been involved with and made a series of questionable decisions in his role. On face value the club has actually gone backwards since his arrival. He hasnā€™t signed anyone of note and his essential message is ā€œdonā€™t get your hopes upā€ we are in development for half a decade to come.

If the rank and file arenā€™t going to be upset at this juncture, we arenā€™t good enough supporters.

The only thing the club fears and is sensitive about is criticism and truth-telling.

If Benji put his hat into the ring to coach at any other NRL club, having never coached anything in his life, he wouldnā€™t even receive a polite rejection letter. They wouldnā€™t bother responding.

Donā€™t let the club tell you heā€™s there on merit, no one in the game thinks heā€™s there on merit. Iā€™m not even sure if he does.

Heā€™s there on the matey basis only. Thatā€™s was the only compelling feature only on his resume. It was good enough. But itā€™s not how you appoint a coach.

Last edited:
I agree.

The process that Lee was begging us follow, all the promises last year, his video missive about the season and why Madge was savedā€¦none of it transpired.

And Benji sends his application in at the last minute, thereā€™s a friendly meeting and everything about process etc is thrown up in the air and abandoned..

The only hope, the only genuine chance of a turnaround is wholly dependent upon fresh minds and expertise being injected into the senior ranks of club decision making. This is because these insights trickle down.

At the moment we have a closed shop junta appointing mates. Devoid of ability, their option is to rely on nostalgia and folklore.

Iā€™m not having a go at Tim personally, no chance, but heā€™s been involved with and made a series of questionable decisions in his role. On face value the club has actually gone backwards since his arrival. He hasnā€™t signed anyone of note and his essential message is ā€œdonā€™t get your hopes upā€ we are in development for half a decade to come.

If the rank and file arenā€™t going to be upset at this juncture, we arenā€™t good enough supporters.

The only thing the club fears and is sensitive about is criticism and truth-telling.

If Benji put his hat into the ring to coach at any other NRL club, having never coached anything in his life, he wouldnā€™t even receive a polite rejection letter. They wouldnā€™t bother responding.

Donā€™t let the club tell you heā€™s there on merit, no one in the game thinks heā€™s there on merit. Iā€™m not even sure if he does.

Heā€™s there on the matey basis only. Thatā€™s was the only compelling feature only on his resume. It was good enough. But itā€™s not how you appoint a coach.
Yes Sheens made and will make mistakes. But then itā€™s only a human thing to do isnā€™t it?
Confident that the choice we made is solid In the circumstance we were faced with.
ā€¦.. but as to will this work? Give it a chance at least as see how it pans out.

I'll be at Leichhardt next week, and I'm thinking about taking a wooden spoon with me. Maybe a few if I can find some on special at the shops. It's not a pride thing, but hopefully the players see it & realise how much of a joke this season has been.
How old are you?

Spoon is well deserved for an organisation and team not performing well. You would have to say everyone at the club is not passing their KPI's.

If the Storm vs Roosters game is the benchmark, WT are miles away and still some tough years ahead before maybe a bunch of quality juniors and Centre of Excellence can turn things around.

I wonder what current players thoughts of playing under Benji Marshall are?
Not all great players turned out to be great coaches (Michael Cronin, Terry Lamb, Tommy Raudonikis). Attracting quality players to want to move to WT has been a long term problem and I hope Marshall does have some pulling power.

Yes Sheens made and will make mistakes. But then itā€™s only a human thing to do isnā€™t it?
Confident that the choice we made is solid In the circumstance we were faced with.
ā€¦.. but as to will this work? Give it a chance at least as see how it pans out.
No criticism of you at all brother, but he was not resurrected to make mistakes.

I would even settle for two single good decisions, but so far that has evaded him as well.

Thereā€™s been one single good decision, that was to bind and trap Lucy and the cows and exploit the cows innumerate accountant and take advantage of Lucyā€™s too high opinion of himself.

In contrast, our competition are making good decisions every hour of every day.

That you are confident, Iā€™m pleased for you, but so were the passengers on the Titanic.

If youā€™d like to elaborate on why you are confident, please share it around. With sincere respect, It is a conclusory remark of intangible faith. I genuinely respect your view, but obviously, I donā€™t subscribe to it.

That we donā€™t seem to have a choice is the frustrating aspect of it all.

As the rank and file, if we donā€™t try to save the silverware, if we join the grand delusion that the club is going ok, when it isnā€™t, we are betraying our own, defiling our ancestors and beautiful history of Wests and Balmain and we are not worthy. All of our good players in recent years, they have sold out and abandoned us. Thatā€™s a lack of belief as much as money.

This is a civil war Iā€™m afraid, I didnā€™t start it, I donā€™t want it, but Iā€™m happy to die on the hill to try to rescue and redeem our Wests Tigers.

We are on life support.

Last edited:
Spoon is well deserved for an organisation and team not performing well. You would have to say everyone at the club is not passing their KPI's.

If the Storm vs Roosters game is the benchmark, WT are miles away and still some tough years ahead before maybe a bunch of quality juniors and Centre of Excellence can turn things around.

I wonder what current players thoughts of playing under Benji Marshall are?
Not all great players turned out to be great coaches (Michael Cronin, Terry Lamb, Tommy Raudonikis). Attracting quality players to want to move to WT has been a long term problem and I hope Marshall does have some pulling power.
Sharon would know if Benji has plenty of pulling power.

I agree.

I presume "que sera, sera"šŸ˜
Forumers who swore on Gould, want Ciraldo, who was never the NRL coach, and they find the selection of Kimmorley (who also was never the NRL coach) unacceptable and laughable??
They were both assistants/under 21s coaches.
One was selected by a "Footy show" celebrity that never done anything for the WT, the other won the NRL championship and built the team from the ground up.
I know who would I prefer!

Back