"The" step

@glebe_tiger said:
the thing is when he is playing well he is using the step. how u think the step is dumb is a bit beyond me but everyone to their own i guess. i think when used properly marshall can be devestating. without out it or when has has lacked the chances and ability to use it he has been average. i think its a very improtant part of his game and makes him the dangerous player he is.

if we are talking about the little jink into the air when he is staying in the same spot that he does, i dont like that or see the point as all anyone has to do is stand there and then tackle him! his 'regular' sidestep that he has seemed to regain recently is great, so maybe i am thinking about the wrong thing?

ah, ok. i see the 'air step' thing that he does. yes that is very susceptible to getting pinned when he does that as it slows his momentum somewhat. i guess its all part of his repertoire!

@Jazza said:
Geez what happened to Hemmsleys Hairdresser? :laughing:
No way would we be allowed to wrap Benji on the old forum without HH coming in to disagree!!

I go to the footy with HH nearly every week and when I told him about the new forum he wasnt keen and said 'if I want to get in a blue I'll talk to the missus' but I can tell you he was cheering his lungs out on Monday night and when the Benji 40/20 hit in the first half he said to me 'well he's on today, watch him carve them up'. The only thing he was dirty on all night was when Benji let George Rose foot it with him and he didnt score under the posts, if he's missed that conversion and we'd lost the game by 1 you would have heard HH in Perth!!

@pearceoff said:
if he's missed that conversion and we'd lost the game by 1 you would have heard HH in Perth!!

its true: i heard him here that time benji passed to "the kid in the third row" a few weeks back! :laughing:

little jink into the air when he is staying in the same spot that he does, i dont like that or see the point

Haha yeah, I hate that stupid "Air step". .as you said it's pointless and very predictable.

Benji's put on a bit of weight and I don't think he has the speed and footwork to pull off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQCpFefGQ98 anymore, that said he's still very very impressive, I love the step.

@T91 said:
Haha yeah, I hate that stupid "Air step". .as you said it's pointless and very predictable.

it's not pointless and predictable - as I said above, to truly understand it, you have to either try it out yourself in a game situation or be a defender - i gaurantee you, your instinct as a defender will be to hesitate once he does the 'air step' because it puts you in two minds and forces you to believe he is about to go the other way - the downfall of benji's step these days is that he rarely goes the other way (the inside) so it looks pointless - but it adds that bit more of a 'guess' to the opposition.
Play some touch footy against a kiwi/islander/asian side and you'll see what I mean :wink:

it's not pointless and predictable - as I said above, to truly understand it, you have to either try it out yourself in a game situation or be a defender

I have, I think your talking about his step where he is actually in motion and as he approaches the defensive line takes a hop then cuts away… I'm talking about the steps where he receives the ball and takes a little hop virtually landing on the same spot, then taking off in a direction... just need to rush him and make a tackle.

@T91 said:
it's not pointless and predictable - as I said above, to truly understand it, you have to either try it out yourself in a game situation or be a defender

I have, I think your talking about his step where he is actually in motion and as he approaches the defensive line takes a hop then cuts away… I'm talking about the steps where he receives the ball and takes a little hop virtually landing on the same spot, then taking off in a direction... just need to rush him and make a tackle.

You should be playing first grade mate. Its sooooo easy to tackle marshall isnt it.

Back