Tigers eyeing big finish to NRL season

TIGERDAVIS

Wests Tigers' prop Keith Galloway concedes the 2010 NRL preliminary finalists have underachieved so far this season, but claims it's not too late to make amends.

Back in the top eight following Saturday night's big win over North Queensland, Galloway said it is vital the team finds some consistency in the run home to the finals.

So far in 2011, the best they have managed is just twice getting on two-game winning streaks, and another slip-up against Sydney Roosters on Saturday night could see them again forfeit a place in the top eight.

The Tigers haven't beaten the Roosters in their past four contests. This weekend's match is the first in a season-defining month in which they take on top-eight sides Manly, St George Illawarra and Penrith.

"At the start of the year, we were thinking we were good enough to win the competition. We're not playing that way," Galloway said on Wednesday.

"We've got to really fix it up in the next seven weeks or so before the finals start."

The Tigers gathered momentum in the run home to last year's finals, winning seven of their last ten games to snare a third-place finish at the end of the regular season.

While a top four spot is probably beyond them, Galloway said the side takes some confidence out of what they achieved in 2010.

"We've pretty much got the same sort of team (as last year) and the young guys that have stepped up this year have been awesome," Galloway said.

"We're definitely capable of going on a run like that but it's not going to happen in one game.

"We had a win on the weekend but we've got to back that up this week and take baby steps before we do something like that.

"We've got a good month of football coming up, some tough games. It'll be a good judge to see where we're at."
\
\
http://www.nrl.com/tigers-eyeing-big-finish-to-nrl-season/tabid/10874/newsid/63864/default.aspx

i really wish they would not talk to media.
so the team can concentrate on a good all round team performance, :pray: and let the results do the talking. :smiley:

Tigers eyeing big finish to NRL season
Steve Jancetic
July 20, 2011 - 5:24PM

AAP

Wests Tigers' prop Keith Galloway concedes the 2010 NRL preliminary finalists have underachieved so far this season, but claims it's not too late to make amends.

Back in the top eight following Saturday night's big win over North Queensland, Galloway said it is vital the team finds some consistency in the run home to the finals.

So far in 2011, the best they have managed is just twice getting on two-game winning streaks, and another slip-up against Sydney Roosters on Saturday night could see them again forfeit a place in the top eight.

The Tigers haven't beaten the Roosters in their past four contests. This weekend's match is the first in a season-defining month in which they take on top-eight sides Manly, St George Illawarra and Penrith.

"At the start of the year, we were thinking we were good enough to win the competition. We're not playing that way," Galloway said on Wednesday.

"We've got to really fix it up in the next seven weeks or so before the finals start."

The Tigers gathered momentum in the run home to last year's finals, winning seven of their last ten games to snare a third-place finish at the end of the regular season.

While a top four spot is probably beyond them, Galloway said the side takes some confidence out of what they achieved in 2010.

"We've pretty much got the same sort of team (as last year) and the young guys that have stepped up this year have been awesome," Galloway said.

"We're definitely capable of going on a run like that but it's not going to happen in one game.

"We had a win on the weekend but we've got to back that up this week and take baby steps before we do something like that.

"We've got a good month of football coming up, some tough games. It'll be a good judge to see where we're at."

COWBOYS WIN MEANS LITTLE SAYS GALLOWAY
By Wayne Cousins
20/07/2011 4:09:51 PM

Keith Galloway knows the win over the Cowboys means very little if Wests Tigers can’t reproduce the same performance against the Sydney Roosters.

Wests Tigers sit in seventh place on the Telstra Premiership ladder and Galloways says the side must keep the momentum from the win in Townsville going against a Roosters side looking to stay alive.

The Roosters sit in 15th place on 14 points, six behind Wests Tigers, but Galloway knows what they are capable of on their day.

Recent history also favours the Roosters, having won the past four encounters and six of the last 10 matches.

Sydney Roosters have won 12 of the 19 matches between the clubs but it will be the first meeting at Leichhardt Oval between the two clubs.

The last time Wests Tigers beat the Roosters in a premiership match was in round 22 of the 2009 season, a 17-10 victory at the Sydney Football Stadium.

“We have got a good month of football coming up, some tough games. It will be a good chance to see where we are at,’’ Galloway said.

“There are some good players in the Roosters forward pack so it will be a good test for us.

“I don’t think there are such things as bogey teams. The Roosters are going to be tough. They are not going too well but they are still a very good football side. We will just have to go out there and try and get a win.”

Galloway said his team-mates know they have underachieved this season after being installed as a major premiership chance but feels a late charge to the finals can again be achieved.

“We have only won one game in the past month so we definitely need to get some points on the board to make the finals and be as far up in the eight as we can,’’ Galloway said.

“At the start of the year, we thought we were good enough to win the competition. We are not playing that way and we need to fix it up in the next seven weeks.

“We have pretty much got the same team and some of the young guys that have stepped up this year have been awesome.

“We are definitely capable of going on a run like last year. It’s not going to happen in one game. We had a win last weekend but we need to back it up this week and take baby steps before we do something like that.”

Back in February, I recall cringeing when the likes of Farah, CWH and surprisingly, even Todd Payten talked the team up in the media. "Anything less than a grand final in 2011 will be a failure".

Despite the egg on some faces, even today they continue to predict big things. Let's hope this post puts egg on my face come September.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

Well Carney was interviewed on Channel 7 news tonight about how unhappy players are at the rorters and some want out, including him, he denied this and then rattled on about how they all want to stay and what a great place it is. Hopefully that will plant the seed of distraction in their team for this weekend.

@russelldp said:
Back in February, I recall cringeing when the likes of Farah, CWH and surprisingly, even Todd Payten talked the team up in the media. "Anything less than a grand final in 2011 will be a failure".

Despite the egg on some faces, even today they continue to predict big things. Let's hope this post puts egg on my face come September.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I really don't understand why people like painting targets on themselves. The team did that in a big way with those statements.

@russelldp said:

\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

He was speaking the truth, anything less than a grand final with the names on the WT team sheet will still be a failure.

As Mikey said, why paint a target on yourself? It's great to have plans and goals, but spruking off during pre-season about expecting to make a grand final is foolish. I'm sure Todd would regret it…
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

There was a massive amount of hype and many people put us after the Dragons as favourites.

We had a great late run last year, but if I remember correctly there were quite a few nerves about many of the games.

Its happened before and they can do it again. But I am not confident enough to put money on them making the GF.

Back