Tigers in Turmoil....Down but still fighting

Aladinsane

**Tigers struggle to find fit team**
By Josh Massoud From: The Daily Telegraph August 25, 2009 12:01AM
\
\
EIGHTY minutes of carnage has left Wests Tigers' finals hopes in tatters, with the joint venture struggling to find 17 fit troops for Saturday night's season-defining mission on the Gold Coast.

Up to eight top-liners who played in last Friday's brutal 26-18 loss to Parramatta are in serious doubt for the Titans blockbuster, a one-off injury toll that long-serving Tigers doctor Donald Kuah last night described as the worst he could recall.

As barnstorming winger Taniela Tuiaki had season-ending surgery on his badly broken leg, the collateral damage became worse and worse for Wests yesterday. The three-quarterline has been acutely hit, with centre Chris Lawrence the only member of the back five who is guaranteed a start this weekend.

Beau Ryan (knee), Tim Moltzen (collarbone) and Blake Ayshford (foot) are all in danger of joining Tuiaki on the injured list, which already includes speedsters Shannon Gallant (leg), Peni Tagive (shoulder) and Blake Lazurus (knee).

The story up front is equally dire with Chris Heighington (knee) and Keith Galloway (hand) receiving scans and treatment respectively.

Worsening the engine-room plight, Bryce Gibbs faces a two-week suspension after being charged with dangerous contact yesterday, while veteran prop John Skandalis will also be closely monitored for a leg injury that had him in extreme doubt for the Parramatta game.

Speaking amid the chaos of scans and appointments in his Sydney Olympic Park rooms, Kuah could not remember the Tigers suffering a bigger injury toll from a single game.

"I've been working here for seven seasons and this is basically the worst I've seen after a game,'' Kuah said. "Put it this way - it's the busiest I've been. I didn't get to see much of the game (on Friday night).''

Kuah said he was awaiting scans from Moltzen, Ryan and Heighington to determine how long each would be sidelined. But even prior to receiving the final verdicts last night, he wasn't confident of seeing the trio in action this weekend.

"I'm waiting to hear back but Beau Ryan probably has a posterior cruciate ligament tear in his left knee,'' Kuah said. "Tim Moltzen possibly has a clavicle [collarbone] fracture and we're awaiting a CAT scan. And Chris Heighington copped a fairly nasty bump on his right knee, so we've gotten scans on him as well.

"None are long-term or will require surgery, but it's fair to say the boys are in doubt for this weekend.''

Kuah's day was made worse when both Ayshford and Galloway came to see him with foot and hand injuries.

**Casualty Ward from the Parramatta Game** as stated by the Daily Telgraph

Taniela Tuiaki….............Broken Leg..........................Season
Beau Ryan.....................Posterior Ligament tear...........4 -6 weeks
Tim Moltzen...................Broken Collarbone..................Unlikely
Chris Heighington............Bumped Knee........................Unlikely
Blake Ayshford................Infected Foot........................In Doubt
Keith Galloway................Swollen Hand........................In Doubt
John Skandalis................Leg Injury...........................In Doubt
Bryce Gibbs...................Suspension.......................... 2 weeks

If all of the above are actually out , and don't take part in the Titans game, if we come up with a win up there, it will go down as one of the Wests Tigers best.

At the Members Fan day, they were all talking it up, but I could see the team were in a lot of trouble.....the team photos looked like the walking wounded.

If all of those forwards are out, along with Ayshford, Ryan and Moltzen, the Tigers have no chance against the GC. We simply do not have enough depth to sufficiently cover those players and expect to take out a side in the top 4 who has lost at home once all season.

1\. Hanbury
2\. ????????????
3\. Collis
4\. Lawrence
5\. Pritchard
6\. Marshall
7\. Lui
8\. Payten
9\. Farah
10\. Laurie
11\. Ellis
12\. Galea
13\. Morris

14\. Dwyer
15\. Shirnack
16\. Skando??? if in doubt Stolk…Betham???
17\. Akeripa

It will be tough if all those guys are out and we'll need to pray for a Benji and Farah show against the Titans

Bit of a shame that the first 2/3rds of the season meant that we had to win just about every game of the last third to be in with a show.
If these reports are true & we win this it will go down as the toughest win the club has had.
If not it's another excuse to trot out at the end of season wrap up.

Before reading the specific list I had a fear that maybe Ayshford had re-injured his hand. Good thing it is only an infected foot. Probably just light training for the week and some injections an she will be sweet.

Worst case scenario there is a crop of State Cup players who have earned a shot and regardless of a win or loss will give their all

Realistically if that injury toll is that bad we are zero chance of getting past the Titans at home….tough finish to an already unlucky season in my book, an ounce more luck next season and with things going forward the way they have been we should be quite competitive next season.

The three-quarterline has been acutely hit, with centre Chris Lawrence the only member of the back five who is guaranteed a start this weekend.

Lawrence is guaranteed to play!!! Look at the positives people :slight_smile:

@smeghead said:
Before reading the specific list I had a fear that maybe Ayshford had re-injured his hand. Good thing it is only an infected foot. Probably just light training for the week and some injections an she will be sweet.

Worst case scenario there is a crop of State Cup players who have earned a shot and regardless of a win or loss will give their all

no use risking Ayshford give him the week off and play Collis there pretty equal in talent

collis isnt even a winger anyways
is Shirnack even fit to play i remember someone saying on the board he injured himself for balmain ??
i think we can still make a team up Hanbury,Laurie,Halatau are good replacements we may struggle to find 2 wingers though

At the Members day Moltzen said he would definetly play, as did Ayshford & Galloway….

More great reporting fro mthe Telecrap lol

I thought Gallant going down was unfortunate but when we lost Tuiaki I had a bad feeling, now look at the rest!

I reckon we've got the depth to cover this and we've got some young blokes that have already seen some 1st grade action this season. Most, including myself, are glad to be seeing the likes of Halatau and Collis going for a fresh start elsewhere but suddenly these guys could become pretty important to our finals hopes and their experience in these next 2 games could be vital, let's hope they turn up because IMO they will be there.

@Spank said:
At the Members day Moltzen said he would definetly play, as did Ayshford & Galloway….

More great reporting fro mthe Telecrap lol

Yeah I spoke to Skando, Ayshford & Heighno…...and they said they will be all playing.

Maybe Spank, it was WT spin on a fan day, or just very wishful thinking on the players.

I am sure I saw Payne with a knee brace as well and Robbie limping......but I guess we will all know on Saturday afternoon when they run on, as Sheens will be giving a fex to the last minute to get right :pray:

Moltzen and tuiaki were both at the basketball on sunday night how did they both make it there with those sort of injuries and they were still all jokeing around with benji

@X-Pac said:
Moltzen and tuiaki were both at the basketball on sunday night how did they both make it there with those sort of injuries and they were still all jokeing around with benji

damn, which game was that? I was deciding whether or not to go but went to dinner instead

@ragedmachine said:
@X-Pac said:

damn, which game was that? I was deciding whether or not to go but went to dinner instead

australia vs nz, benji and Tuiaki have been going to the games the last 3 years
this is the first time ive seen moltzen go with them
i think Tagive (or maybe it was roqica?)was there too sitting between Moltzen and Benji

To be honest, as long as the main men are fit - Benji and Robbie - I still think we can force an upset. If Collis comes in for Ayshford (if injured) then our defence on the edges should still be pretty solid.

Anyway, as long as they play with passion and pride I'll be happy.

@smeghead said:

you might get to see gower in a WT jersey finally

I doubt that very much.

I think Halatau, Collis and Hanbury will be in with a show and Dwyer is also a shot.

I doubt Pritchard, Akeripa, Farlow, Gower or Meaney will get the shot they have earned with great form

@X-Pac said:
@smeghead said:

_**no use risking Ayshford give him the week off**_ and play Collis there pretty equal in talent

collis isnt even a winger anyways
is Shirnack even fit to play i remember someone saying on the board he injured himself for balmain ??
i think we can still make a team up Hanbury,Laurie,Halatau are good replacements we may struggle to find 2 wingers though

Yeah it would be much better to have Ayshford fresh to play in a dead rubber last game of the season. :unamused: . This is our GF this week and you put the best team available on the park.

Glenn

Back