Tim Sheens

shiretiger

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/sheens-keen-to-coach/2009/07/26/1248546631037.html

TIM SHEENS, the most experienced coach in the NRL, has to wait to see whether there is another contract for him at Wests Tigers after his current one runs out at the end of next year, but he intends coaching into his 60s. Sheens, who will turn 60 in October next year, told The Big Wrap: "I want to keep coaching for a while yet. If it didn't work out for me to stay here and people thought I was the right man for the job somewhere else, then I would certainly be up for it." There was a trend towards clubs appointing younger coaches, but the veterans have struck back. Wayne Bennett, who will turn 60 in January, has St George Illawarra firing, 55-year-old Brian Smith has got the Knights into shape and won a long-term contract with Sydney Roosters, and Sheens has got the Tigers going on a winning run they hope will lead to the finals. "There is a lot of organising to do, to keep a football team going," Sheens said. "It's not like in the old days, when you would coach them twice a week and then play. Now it's a day-to-day thing and you're basically responsible for the players for all but five weeks a year. So experience in the job does count for a lot."

Discuss.

Happy for a decision to be made mid to late next year when the watershed year can be judjed and we can see where we really sit moving forward

Well he has put all his Eggs in the 2010 basket….Good Luck Tim....

Watershed.....'08 fail.....Watershed......'10 ?????????

Should make for a fun thread in the meantime....

I've said this for a while, there is no point getting rid of sheens until there is someone better to replace him with.

People thought Fittler was a good coach last year, same with Taylor a few years ago. People like Kearney are unproven in the NRL and could have worse results than Sheens.

The only coaches I can think of who I'd take in front of Sheens would be Bennett, Bellamy, and Gould.

A few wins and we all forget the bad times. Lets make a call this time next year, if we a running top four and looking good Sheens may be worth a few more years, but if we are top eight boarder line with a playing roster that includes Ellis Farah, marshall, Lawerence, Rhino Galloway TNT and up and comers like Moltzen Asyford than we have to look else where. Really their can be no excuses come 2010 we have a playing roster that some clubs would kill for

I would let the Fonz know now that he has failed miserably in the last few years.

I would definately not sign him.

He has had a shocker with player selections and positions.

Fonzie and the Wests Tigers need to Cool it !!!

He would be good at Canberra.

I wouldnt want an untried coach like the Raiders have done with Furner. Apparently the Knights are chasing David Fairleigh who's coaching the Central Coast NSW Cup side, however he has his heart set on coaching the CC Bears if they do enter in 2012.

Good thing is that if Sheens leaves he'll take the garden gnome with him. God forbid he is our next head coach.

I'm happy with Sheens if he gives younger guys a go and stops persisting with teams that dont work ie Morris in the halves for 2 1/2 years.

What do people reckon of these NRL experienced coaches?
- Michael Hagan
- John Lang
- Stuart Raper
- Graham Murray
- Steve Folkes (how long is his contract with the WIndies?)
- Chris Anderson
- Ian Millward (we chased him when we chased Sheens and has been assistant at NQLD)

IMO Hagan goes alright, so does Graham Murray. I also wouldnt mind John Lang, but I see the first two would have more fresh ideas and bring a new motivation to the club. Raper never impressed me, Folkes goes okay but apparently had some personal issues with players, Chris Anderson I think has had his time and Ian Millward couldnt get a win with the Cowboys at the end of 08.

@alex said:
- Michael Hagan
- John Lang
- Stuart Raper
- Graham Murray
- Chris Anderson
- Ian Millward (we chased him when we chased Sheens and has been assistant at NQLD)

Hagan….Crap
Lang...too long out of the game
Raper...please
Murray...has said not interested in coaching anymore....
Folkes....Hmmm.....something doesn't feel right
Anderson......No....he lost it a while ago
Millward.....Nup...

Sheens replacement......Bennett whatever it takes....

If it takes a rookie to fill in before Wayne comes then....Bellemy's assistant not Kearney the other guy...name escapes me...last year I would have said Flanagan but he and Ricky got the Sharks going like busted's

Sheens probably realises he isn't going to get a new deal here, so he is letting other clubs know he is available. Wonder if the Knights would approach him? If not them someone like the Broncos, Panthers or Raiders could be interested in a years time.

When coaches are on big dollars like they all are, I will never forgive ineptness, incompetence and pigheadedness especially from a senior coach. We have been lacking a decent halfback for years and I have no doubt that if Moltzen or any other 7 was brought into the side when we lost all those very close games that we would have won at least two which means that we would already be entrenched in the top eight. Our defence in general play and on or near our own tryline has improved ten fold, why is that? Sheens does have a lot of experience and has assistants and statistics at his fingertips but I still get the feeling that he is not open to suggestion and a classic example of that was when our caretaker CEO got the boot for trying to do his job properly. I am quite happy to see his contract extended provided he continues to select our best team for every game of the remaining games this year because I do believe that we have the players with us even now to give this competition a big shake.

It's simple. Everyone jumped up and down when we struggled and rightly so, this is a results driven business. Sheens again will need the results on the board this time next season if he wants to stay on. I do agree with the theory though that he should only be replaced by a coach who can take the club further. An inexperienced coach wouldn't cut it with me and nor would a Royce Simmons.

If Sheens is re-signed, it'll have to be with a caveat in his contract about player retention in the future. Perhaps replacing Simmons & McDonnell would go some way to fixing that. But to be honest, Sheens' track record shows it's more often 'my way or the highway' then listening to others ideas.

If the coaching team won't get a shake-up, I'd be saying thank you for your time to Mr Sheens- the most successful wests Tigers coach yet.

As for replacements- some coaches get a bad rep based solely on results. I still think Jason Taylor has a lot to offer if Souths look to replace him.

I would seriously have a look at Trevor Gillmeister too.

@weststigerman said:
I've said this for a while, there is no point getting rid of sheens until there is someone better to replace him with.

People thought Fittler was a good coach last year, same with Taylor a few years ago. People like Kearney are unproven in the NRL and could have worse results than Sheens.

The only coaches I can think of who I'd take in front of Sheens would be Bennett, Bellamy, and Gould.

You are saying Fittler and JT are not good coaches based on a couple of unsuccesful seasons?
I guess you are.
Sheens himself didnt win a comp for 6 or 7 years.
Not everyone can win the comp every year.

@innsaneink said:
@weststigerman said:

You are saying Fittler and JT are not good coaches based on a couple of unsuccesful seasons?
I guess you are.
Sheens himself didnt win a comp for 6 or 7 years.
Not everyone can win the comp every year.

Fittler and JT have not proven themselves to be any more than average coaches so far, maybe in a few years with a bit more experience they can be top coaches. All I'm saying is we don't want to replace a proven coach with anyone just because its someone different. If we do we might see something similar to when Chris Anderson took over at the roosters or when Hagan took over at parra or dare I say it Terry Lamb at the tigers.

Knowing the way we recruit players, we wont be getting a big name new coach when Sheens does move on whenever that is.
We shop Go-Lo.
All recruitment is something of a gamble, players and coaches alike

@alex said:
I'm happy with Sheens if he gives younger guys a go and stops persisting with teams that dont work ie Morris in the halves for 2 1/2 years.

All of ask of Sheens is that he chooses the right team sooner rather than later. The problem is that he doesn't fill me with confidence with regards to this.

The Morris / Cronk experiment has killed us and unless things turn around in a major fashion over the next 2 seasons I'd say see ya later.

I'd like to see how we are travelling mid-season next year before deciding whether Sheens should be hung out to dry. He's now got the next young talent brigade almost knocking on the door of FG and the team has been more competitive this season when most thought we would go backwards.

A lot will come down to who the potential coaches looking for a job in 2011 are as well. There are some ordinary ones out there.

@Geo. said:
@alex said:
- Michael Hagan
- John Lang
- Stuart Raper
- Graham Murray
- Chris Anderson

Hagan….Crap
Lang...too long out of the game
Raper...please
Murray...has said not interested in coaching anymore....
Folkes....Hmmm.....something doesn't feel right
Anderson......No....he lost it a while ago
Millward.....Nup...

Sheens replacement......Bennett whatever it takes....

If it takes a rookie to fill in before Wayne comes then....Bellemy's assistant not Kearney the other guy...name escapes me...last year I would have said Flanagan but he and Ricky got the Sharks going like busted's

hagan is a good coach, geez some people on here are idiots.

out of the ones listed id go with
Murray
hagan
folkes.

But if we were looking to the future a coach like, stephan kearney, paul green or ian millward would be acceptable, i mean they dont have alot to live up to, just dont get the spoon and dont make the finals and you will keep your job

I want a young coach who's worked under someone like Bennett, Bellamy, Stuart, Henry etc, ie a coach who's had some sort of consistent success in recent times. I also wouldn't dismiss someone like Ivan Cleary.

Back