Time to Offer Benji a lifetime contract??

alexaki

I reckon the Tigers should offer Benji a 5 year contract extension and make him a Tiger for life!!..Benji is an icon for the Tigers, he gives our team so much in terms of marketing appeal. He is without peer when it comes to Mareketing our game and the Tigers. He is a role model for our game and every young(and old) fan out there, IMO he should be the pin up boy for the NRL in 2010, guarrantee they won't have to redo their ads with Benji and he never puts a public foot wrong.. Benji is a rare breed indeed, he is one of the few in his generation that appears to have loyalty in his blood. I recknon he is a Tiger through and through and will find it hard to play for another NRL team..so common Humphreys make Benji a Tiger for life and sign him up for another 5 years…This will be his 2nd year where he has been serious injury free... :sign:

wow amazing what a 6 weeks turn around does for a players reputation.. a tad over 6 weeks ago people were saying if he left so be it and he is over priced..
same with sheens.

u offer him 5 years and then he has a bad run, people will want his head.. the days of 5 year contracts are over. as 90% of the time the club wont want them for that long anyway

Troy

3 Years is about the limit you want any contract.

Two years is ideal for mine. Ensures resting on ones laurels is not an option.

At the moment I also think Benji is possibly the most passionate and competitive in the team. Even when Hayne chipped through to score last week who was the player busting a gut to try to get there in cover? Benji - and you could see his disappointment when he realised he wasn't going to stop him. He has played like this since he got the #6 shirt back again and was able to concentrate on his usual game. I agree that he is a unique talent and is loved by many football fans (especially the young ones) and the longer he is at WT the better. If he was on another team we'd be wishing he was ours.

Problem is serious injury would be a huge blow for the club if he is locked down for 5 years. Not worth the risk.

It's nice to see some fans still have faith and I agree with the points on his marketability and passion.

Realistically, five years is far too long. Even if there was some way to guarantee a player was injury free, you'd have to predict his form would be maintained and, in Marshall's case, continue to improve, over that period. Both are impossible.

Never had a problem with the Benj, unlike many other experts on this forum, 5 years is too long but two lots of three would do me….

Contract extensions are the way to go in my opinion. Marshall's contract till 2011 correct? Mid way through next season, if his form warrants (hopefully it does) management should be looking to re-negotiate a new deal that will tie him up with Farah till 2013\. Aside from his value as a commodity for the Wests Tigers brand, his ability and leadership as a senior player and as mentor are vitally important to the club's success now but also for the long term.

@Gobbs said:
Contract extensions are the way to go in my opinion. Marshall's contract till 2011 correct? Mid way through next season, if his form warrants (hopefully it does) management should be looking to re-negotiate a new deal that will tie him up with Farah till 2013\. Aside from his value as a commodity for the Wests Tigers brand, his ability and leadership as a senior player and as mentor are vitally important to the club's success now but also for the long term.

Well said Gobbs!

@Gobbs said:

Spot on. I'd certainly be looking to tie Benji up for another couple of years from 2010 if he continues his good form.

I love him to bits. Whilst I wouldn't offer him a lifetime contract, I hope he stays a lifetime Tiger.

Ideally he and Farah will be the first true one club, champion Wests Tigers' players.

benji would never sign a five year contract, no player of his age or potential would.

@TimmyB said:
I love him to bits. Whilst I wouldn't offer him a lifetime contract, I hope he stays a lifetime Tiger.

Ideally he and Farah will be the first true one club, champion Wests Tigers' players.

Ummm…..Skando....

No way sould Benji be offerred such a long deal....what will we do in the off season while Benji decides between Japan, Europe Union, AFL or the Titans.....

Agree with Most....2 years at a time...

Ummmmmmm, the Magpies aren't Wests Tigers. Otherwise I would have included O'Neill and Senter.

In addition, Skandalis is a great clubman, but isn't remotely near the class of Farah and Marshall.

Marshall could very well be the best player in the game if his form continues. Atm I don't see many players at his level.

He is the Tiges no 1 player for sure - the question is will this form continue ?

I tell you what I love about him - he cops it from so many people (tigers fans included) - but he just keeps busting his backside to become the best player he can be. He is a good guy as well.

As for a contract extension - 5 years for a player of his ability would be worth it. There aren't many / any players that have his ability and he is starting to play up to his talent.

If he got injured though it would be a worry.

@Gobbs said:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

@smeghead said:
3 Years is about the limit you want any contract.

Two years is ideal for mine. Ensures resting on ones laurels is not an option.

Agree 100%.

And I wouldn't offer Benji any more than 2 yrs ATM.

i do not see marshall or farah playing for anyone else. if they leave the tigers it will be over seas. there is no way they will put on another teams jersey. the fact farah is there till 2013 will entice marshall to extend his contract.
im all for contract top-up's. its one way to keep a player at the club without risking a massive 5year deal.
another important factor in keeping benji is sheens. if sheens goes then i think it will affect benji coz he looks up to him so much.

Lifetime contract??

Not sure about that, but I tell you what, I'll never see a player turn a game, do what Benji does, pass like him, set up plays like him, if I live a dozen lifetimes!!

Back