Titans Squad

Titans are definately beatable. Only thing that will hurt us is the injuries. The titans have been ordinary against Sharks and Souths and before that play a pretty bad Warriors team. If we show up like we have last 2 months we will beat them even at SKilled park. I cant see Gold Coast making past week 2 of the finals

John Cartwright gives Titans rookie wingers licence to thrill
By Margie McDonald
August 27, 2009 Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has given his rookie wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead a licence to thrill in their final home game of the regular season against Wests Tigers.

Gordon, 19, and Mead, 21, have scored 16 tries between them so far in their first NRL season. With a bit more ball this weekend, Cartwright is hoping for a few more.

"Last week against Cronulla it didn't lend itself to giving them much ball. The conditions were oppressive," Cartwright said of the Sunday afternoon game in unseasonally hot Queensland conditions.

"They had to do a lot of dummy-half work to rest our forwards. Generally, we like to give them the ball with a bit of air. Our playmakers like Scotty (Prince) and Preston (Campbell) do their stuff and let that happen."

With a top-three spot secured, which translates into a home semi-final at Skilled Park, Cartwright said it was time to loosen the shackles.

"It is all about having fun now. For 26 weeks you work your butt off to get where you are. Here now is where you want to be," he said.

"We have no concerns at all. We're going out to enjoy it."

One who has been watching Mead and Gordon's development with a keen eye is former Balmain flyer Larry Corowa, who was born in Murwillumbah and played two games for the Titans' predecessor Gold Coast Seagulls, after his 96 games for the Tigers.

"I still have a soft spot for the Tigers but I'm a Titans man through and through," said Corowa, once labelled the fastest winger in rugby league and whose name now adorns the perpetual shield played for every time Gold Coast hosts Wests Tigers.

"Boy they're exciting. I've taken a lot of notice of Kevin in particular. He's got all the attributes," said Corowa, also nicknamed "The Pearl". Gordon has already acquired the nickname "Flash".

"If he keeps his head on his shoulders and does all the right things as well as stay injury free, he's going to be one of the Titans players of the future," Corowa said.

"And David is not far behind."

The pair have pulled off some astonishing footwork and speed for the Titans this year. But Cartwright knows his pocket rockets are no longer secret weapons.

"They're improving all the time, but sides are starting to know what they're about now and they're finding space a lot harder," Cartwright said.

"But they're good kids; enjoying their footy and no fear in them at all. They provide a bit of a boost for us."

Another in that category will be veteran lock forward Ashley Harrison, who has not played since Origin III due to rib cartilage trouble.

But he has been named in the starting 13 for the Tigers, who sit in 10th position one win out of the eight.

"It would be ideal to give him a couple of games before the finals - he wants to play. I'm not too worried about his fitness because he's a very fit guy and has a great work ethic," Cartwright said.

"But for his own peace of mind, he'd like to play a couple of games.

"And to bring him in fresh is a bonus for us. Earlier in the year, when we had some really tough games, he provided a lot of steel for us.

"He's the sort of guy that when everyone is under the pump and looking for the last breath, Ash is there to hit the ball up or make that last tackle."

Another bonus is Sam Tagataese, who will shift to the centres so Mat Rogers can move back to five-eighth and Campbell to fullback - all to cover for the suspended William Zillman.

"He's a very strong player. He just hasn't been able to get on the field for us," Cartwright said.

"He gives us something we don't have a lot of - a big guy who can run fast."

Gold Coast didn't make the top four by accident. They're at full strength and they won't be looking to lose.

We've been playing well but knocking the Titans off won't be as easy as some of you are making it out to be.

We have to use the same mentality Parra used against us. ie break them.

I have a Parra friend and he swares blindly that Tui's leg was broken on purpose.

When I called that rubbish he said to check out what Hindmarsh said the day after the game.????

@Defiant said:

I have a Parra friend and he swares blindly that Tui's leg was broken on purpose.

When I called that rubbish he said to check out what Hindmarsh said the day after the game.????

What did he say???

@Suzie-Q said:
@Defiant said:

What did he say???

Im interested to hear what he said too.

@Hit or Miss said:
@Suzie-Q said:
@Defiant said:

What did he say???

Im interested to hear what he said too.

Me too!!!

Gold Coast Titans forwards threaten to down Wests Tigers
\
\
August 29, 2009

They have a backline including speed machines Jordan Atkins and David Mead, but it's Gold Coast Titans' forwards who threaten to pour on the points against Wests Tigers.

The Titans' big men have scored 10 of Gold Coast's 21 tries since their round 20 victory over Brisbane Broncos.

So far this season they are responsible for 35 per cent of Gold Coast's total try tally, a third more than any other forward pack in the top four and more than twice as many as the Tigers (14 per cent).

As the Titans head towards their maiden finals series, coach John Cartwright said he doesn't go into games desperate to feed his speed men.

"You can't go into a game thinking that is going to happen," Cartwright said.

"If a game unfolds that way, you like to use them.

"It is just good to know they are there when they get the opportunity.

"But if you go in thinking you are just going to get the ball to the fast blokes, that is under-sevens stuff and it doesn't work.

"I am not real concerned, but if the game opens up I would love to see them get plenty of ball."

With a top-four spot assured, the Titans are expected to take more risks in attack against the Tigers as they look to build momentum and confidence ahead of the play-offs.

Following a dour encounter against Cronulla, Titans co-captain and pack leader Luke Bailey said it would be nice to see the backline light up the sidelines when they clash with the Tigers at Skilled Park.

"It would be good to see but in saying that, the forwards probably didn't do our job as well as we could have last week," Bailey said.

Depth finally no problem for Titans

August 28, 2009 - 6:31PM

Depth is so impressive at the Gold Coast Titans that coach John Cartwright will rest his big guns during games as they count down to their maiden NRL finals campaign.

While wary of taking on a desperate Wests Tigers at Skilled Park on Saturday, Cartwright was adamant it was time to ease some players through the final regular season rounds with a top four spot already locked up.

The Titans were further bolstered by the long awaited addition of Queensland backrower Ashley Harrison after he finally shook off a rib complaint originally suffered during the State of Origin series in mid-July.

"It gives us the opportunity to rest players during the game so they won't be playing as many minutes over the next couple of weeks," Cartwright said.

"We definitely won't be sacrificing a win but I've got faith that the guys on the bench can do the job of the guys that they replace."

The embarrassment of riches around Cartwright is in stark contrast to the Titans' injury-cruelled first two seasons.

To put it in perspective, the Titans have used 27 players this season to date - 10 less than the previous season.

Cartwright revealed how close it came to 28 with Harrison only rated a "50-50" prospect earlier this week.

"But once it improved, it improved pretty quickly," he said.

"He adds steel. He showed that in the State of Origin period - the tougher the games, the better Harro seems to go.

"Sometimes in the course of a season you might not notice the work that he does but when the games get tight he's the sort of guy you look to.

"We've got some big games in front of us.

"He's got a lot of experience and a cool head - it's great to have him on board."

Harrison clearly did not make a good spectator but still used his time on the sidelines effectively, pinpointing how the third-placed Titans could get even better.

"We are playing good footy but there are areas that we can get better at and will need to get better at if we want to compete in the playoffs," he said.

"We will be looking at improving starting this week."

That's hardly music to the ears of the wounded Wests Tigers.

Apart from being without their first choice back three of Shannon Gallant, Taniela Tuiaki and Beau Ryan, the Tigers are reeling from this week's three-match ban of Bryce Gibbs for kneeing Eels winger Luke Burt.

To boot, forwards John Skandalis and Chris Heighington are in serious doubt despite being named.

The 10th-placed Tigers need to win both of their last two matches to be a chance of a finals berth.

"Their playmakers are there, probably the guy they will miss the most is their big winger (Tuiaki)," Cartwright said.

"But they are a dangerous side. We will have to be on the job."

Back