Titans to return to top-four - Laffranchi

G

Titans to return to top-four - Laffranchi
By Jake Dew From: The Daily Telegraph July 06, 2010 12:00AM

ANTHONY Laffranchi has declared the Titans a top-four side, something they want to prove when they embark on the next crucial period of their season against Wests Tigers on Friday night.

While a win at Campbelltown Stadium should assure the Titans back-to-back finals appearances, Laffranchi said the stakes were much higher as the squad aims to back up their belief they can deliver something special in the run home.

Despite winning just two of their past six matches the Titans sit in fourth on the NRL ladder, equal on 22 points but one place behind Wests on for and against.

Those victories were by just two points (38-36) over Newcastle and one point (25-24) against Canterbury.

"You want to improve each year and we want to improve on last year and stay within that top three," stressed Laffranchi, who is looking forward to returning to face his former club.

"You want these games at this time of the year to really test you against quality opposition.

"There's the Tigers this week and the Broncos and Dragons as well coming up.

"It's going to be a great test for everyone and give us a benchmark of where we are at, but you have to go in confident. We have the belief we can really do something this year."

With their place in the finals almost guaranteed, Laffranchi said the club's primary focus was on booking a home final by finishing in the top four.

"It's pretty congested there throughout the top eight but you want to keep winning and you want to cement yourself in the top four," he said.

"There is no reason why we're not [a top four side]. The next nine rounds is really going to test us out and we have a big month ahead of us."

Together with Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince, Laffranchi helped deliver the Tigers an NRL premiership in 2005 and is well aware of the task facing his team at Campbelltown on Friday night.

It will be an even tougher assignment after the Tigers escaped with the points over a depleted Broncos unit last Friday, despite being far from convincing.

"I played some good ones out there and I know from personal experience they love playing out there, especially on Friday night," Laffranchi said. "They are winning so they will get a big crowd out there and plenty of support."

Jake Dew should have done his research a little better. The two recent victories were over the Dogs (25-24) and the Sea Eagles (28-14). They lost to the Knights 24-16 in round 16 and had the bye last weekend.

Hope we smash 'em on Friday night.

They have Bird and Harrison backing up from Origin too, so hopefully they'll be bashed senseless on Wednesday night.

This hasn't been Anthony's best season.

Have a shocker on Friday mate.

Was "supposed" to be out for anywhere up to 6-8 weeks, but now they reckon he might be back this weekend.

Figures.

Last time he was at cambo he had a couple of boofheaded minders shadowing him - and that was when he still played for us - I wonder if he'll bring the gorillas again?

True but this is from a club where Boot Polish Head Sattler had a whinge to the club administration about the old forum saying bad things about him. The Titans are a club for softies and shady businessmen

@smeghead said:
True but this is from a club where Boot Polish Head Sattler had a whinge to the club administration about the old forum saying bad things about him. The Titans are a club for softies and **shady businessmen**

How dare you talk about the Great White Hope like that!

Thats true CB. Shonky is far more apt it would seem :slight_smile:

@smeghead said:

Call me cynical, but I just can't get excited about anything Searle does. I don't know what it is about him, but I get the feeling that he will end up being the Gold Coast equivalent of Denis Fitzgerald.

That whole Centre of Excellence debacle recently somewhat reaffirmed my hunch.

@Cultured Bogan said:
@smeghead said:

Call me cynical, but I just can't get excited about anything Searle does. I don't know what it is about him, but I get the feeling that he will end up being the Gold Coast equivalent of Denis Fitzgerald.

That whole Centre of Excellence debacle recently somewhat reaffirmed my hunch.

I played with Searlie and even back then he was a smart-arse.

A very very clever Smart- Arse I might add. He will run the game at some stage…

@smeghead said:
True but this is from a club where Boot Polish Head Sattler had a whinge to the club administration about the old forum saying bad things about him. The Titans are a club for softies and **shady businessmen**

There not all 'Shady', just a good percentage :sunglasses:

This is what Anthony Laffranchi had to say:

http://www.titans.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=27559&title=titans-wary-of-under-the-radar-tigers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back