Tommy Talau #225

Tommy wasn't great by any means but the criticism is way over the top. He ran over hundred metres 12 runs - a bit more than Toa who had 9 runs and missed one less tackle.
If they don't want to invest any further in him all for it but there is room for improvement in the centre position with all our current options.

Tommy wasn't great by any means but the criticism is way over the top. He ran over hundred metres 12 runs - a bit more than Toa who had 9 runs and missed one less tackle.
If they don't want to invest any further in him all for it but there is room for improvement in the centre position with all our current options.
I think while our season is still alive to make the 8 as unrealistic as that sounds, Sheens will continue to select experience where he can unless it's a Bula like talent!

Maybe in the final 4-6 rounds if we're out of the picture, then we'll see the likes of Livai Saukuru, Atasi James, Matamua, Tumeth, Mansfield etc getting some exposure.

Hopefully there is an additional announcement in the next couple of weeks about an imminent release.

Most on here are saying it every time, the club shouldn't be selecting that won't be here next season, instead Benji & Sheens should be looking to blood the ones they feel are going to be more of a threat for next season - so they get a better picture of what the younger lads can offer beforehand.

Sooner out the better.

Hopefully there is an additional announcement in the next couple of weeks about an imminent release.

Most on here are saying it every time, the club shouldn't be selecting that won't be here next season, instead Benji & Sheens should be looking to blood the ones they feel are going to be more of a threat for next season - so they get a better picture of what the younger lads can offer beforehand.

Sooner out the better.
100%.
This season is a write-of, so it would be moronic to select players who won't be here next year.

I wish Tommy all the best with his move to Manly.

Injuries have not helped his career and maybe the hype as a junior over the years has also been a factor.

It is a huge leap from being a junior talent to the week in week out grind of the NRL. No tougher sport in the world to put your body through each and every week. I know my body could not deal with the hits they receive. Tough man's sport and you need 100% courage and balls.

He is only 23 years old so has years ahead of him to be the player he wants to be. Some players play better in a new environment or different coaching structure. Having DCE as your half back should help as well.

He has played 45 more NRL games than myself and most of the keyboard Warriors on this forum so lets give him his due respect.

Sooner out the better.
We should play guys if they make our team better. Talau does not. He is a dead-end here at WT.

I wish Tommy all the best with his move to Manly.

Injuries have not helped his career and maybe the hype as a junior over the years has also been a factor.

It is a huge leap from being a junior talent to the week in week out grind of the NRL. No tougher sport in the world to put your body through each and every week. I know my body could not deal with the hits they receive. Tough man's sport and you need 100% courage and balls.

He is only 23 years old so has years ahead of him to be the player he wants to be. Some players play better in a new environment or different coaching structure. Having DCE as your half back should help as well.

He has played 45 more NRL games than myself and most of the keyboard Warriors on this forum so lets give him his due respect.
Great comment Magpies.

I don't remember Tommy publicly bagging the Tigers, or wearing another team's jersey while playing for us, or getting into off field stuff. I also don't think letting Talau go makes us weaker and there's a good chance he wasn't offered a new contract. If he manages to have a career in the toughest sport in the world then good on him.

As for him playing 45 more games than me - have to agree. I remember this line from the Nick Hornby novel about supporting Arsenal, Fever Pitch, where he outlines how hard is it to make it to the top of a sport, and to even get on the pitch - how you are in the top percentage of the top percentage etc etc. And how non-athletically gifted fans (like me) get to live the dream through these guys. It's more of a comment directed at himself when he is relentlessly booing one of his own players and has a moment of reflection.

Great comment Magpies.

I don't remember Tommy publicly bagging the Tigers, or wearing another team's jersey while playing for us, or getting into off field stuff. I also don't think letting Talau go makes us weaker and there's a good chance he wasn't offered a new contract. If he manages to have a career in the toughest sport in the world then good on him.

As for him playing 45 more games than me - have to agree. I remember this line from the Nick Hornby novel about supporting Arsenal, Fever Pitch, where he outlines how hard is it to make it to the top of a sport, and to even get on the pitch - how you are in the top percentage of the top percentage etc etc. And how non-athletically gifted fans (like me) get to live the dream through these guys. It's more of a comment directed at himself when he is relentlessly booing one of his own players and has a moment of reflection.
Much appreciated Full80. I started following the Western Suburbs Magpies in 1978 and dreamt of being Tommy Raudonikis or Graeme O'Grady, Alan Neil and later Terry Lamb. Being built like a stick and long neck ruled me out of every playing rugby league except with the local boys who all were Magpies supporters even though we lived in the Parramatta area. I also use to followed the great Brett Kenny who was my favourite non Magpies player and still am confused why he is not talked about as an Immortal candidate. Best 5/8 I have ever seen shading Wally Lewis.

Much appreciated Full80. I started following the Western Suburbs Magpies in 1978 and dreamt of being Tommy Raudonikis or Graeme O'Grady, Alan Neil and later Terry Lamb. Being built like a stick and long neck ruled me out of every playing rugby league except with the local boys who all were Magpies supporters even though we lived in the Parramatta area. I also use to followed the great Brett Kenny who was my favourite non Magpies player and still am confused why he is not talked about as an Immortal candidate. Best 5/8 I have ever seen shading Wally Lewis.
Great post mate.

Members online

Back