LIVE GAME Trial 1 vs. Warriors

Live Game Discussion
I agree. His aerial threat as an option is an option we just don’t have in a variety of ways. It outweighs a few good meter runs Tupou might provide us. Should be good for 10-15 tries a season which is an instant uplift especially with a kicker of Sezer ability.

His confidence for starters to out jump anyway was clear to see. The try play aside even the midfield bomb he sprinted from 20mtrs away because no one was going for it and nearly created something out of nothing.

Defensively it forces teams to kick to the other side & takes away an option both in the red zone & short kick offs.

Goal kicking is also another benefit even as a backup to cover if Api goes off.

He does look like he will get snapped like a twig though but body shape comes over time - positive is he is 22 same age as Tupou this year.
Anyone think Benji is thinking of developing us into one of the best aerial teams in the comp in seasons to come. In addition to Lobb, Alaimalo is apparently very good in the air as is the emerging Willett with his Aussie Rules background & height. Throw in Bula and bombs away!

Anyone think Benji is thinking of developing us into one of the best aerial teams in the comp in seasons to come. In addition to Lobb, Alaimalo is apparently very good in the air as is the emerging Willett with his Aussie Rules background & height. Throw in Bula and bombs away!
With Sezer's kicking game we'd be fools not to take advantage of it,

He will likely be considered a utility who can come off the bench with high energy and make an impact initially.
If he was considered as number 14 for our NRL side he would need to first prove he has made a big improvement with his one on one defence as it’s very suspect at the moment. He looks to be a very willing youngster and I would not put it past him to make that necessary improvement very quickly,
His versatility ti fill in at multiple other positions is the key.
Where though?
To replace Api? to replace Sullivan?
No use having him ride the pine for 95% of games.

Not at all, but I do know good attack helps the mindset of the defence immensely.
It doesn’t matter how good of a defensive side you are, if you don’t have capability to worry the opposing defence and score points, the defensive mindset quickly becomes very negative because of it.
One position we have plenty of talent in is number 9, I have no problem with Korisau, Da Silva or Simpkin featuring in our NRL side.
All true. Defence needs to be priority 1 in my opinion. Attacking without the ball as they call it.
The rest comes off it. Though you can make a case either way. Chicken or the Egg stuff.

All true. Defence needs to be priority 1 in my opinion. Attacking without the ball as they call it.
The rest comes off it. Though you can make a case either way. Chicken or the Egg stuff.
A strong and committed defensive team will quickly become tired of defending well if their team cannot reward them with points at the other end.

A strong and committed defensive team will quickly become tired of defending well if their team cannot reward them with points at the other end.
I don’t think points is the answer. Ultimately it’s the goal to score to win the game.
But I think possession is the key.
It will become tired of defending if it is not winning the possession / field position battle.
Points will come off the back of that.

These days your outside backs must be good in the air to score and stop tries. Also important for drop-outs...Not sure I like it to be honest - kind of restricts that position to a taller person, but it is what it is.

Question - does anyone think we sometimes waste too much time in the wrestle? Often I see players straining to drive a player back 1-2 metres around the halfway line, then a couple of plays later we can't stop their attack. Are we wasting energy in the wrong areas, then become too tired to do it where it matters? Open to criticism, just something I noticed.

Bud Sullivan played well. Lots of potential.
I noticed he had a couple of classy touches then sort of drifted out of the game. Hopefully Benji encourages him to put his hand up when a try is needed (Ala Marshall ).

If he can work on that throughout the season he will be of value to our KOE side.

Just give NRL game time and experience to someone that is staying.
Pick on form. Whoever gives you the best chance of winning that weekend. One game at a time. <insert any other cliche I forgot >

I noticed he had a couple of classy touches then sort of drifted out of the game. Hopefully Benji encourages him to put his hand up when a try is needed (Ala Marshall ).
Bud looks fit and happy and has that natural attacking flair that only the good halves possess.
If he stays in that mindset I think he will surprise a lot of our fans in just his good he is.
In saying that the two 18 year olds Fainu and Galvin are also exceptionally talented and will keep him on his toes.

That's what happed last year! Slug your guts out for consistently no results wears thin come mid season.

Yep, I reckon the refs explanation would have been that the tackler did not complete the tackle, so Staines would have been free to get up and go, but 9 times out of 10 that was a penalty last year.
It wasn't a penalty last year... They were called back to play the ball
The incident t confused.me too I thought it was a penalty... Only reason I can see is ref didn't call held
Commentators actually said. Seething like "he's. Perfectly entitled to do that" re; Warriors. Player dragging him over the sideline... I thought they were about to go into some. Explanation but the didnt

Bula is a good example of spending buckets of energy defending and having limited energy for attack.

Question - does anyone think we sometimes waste too much time in the wrestle? Often I see players straining to drive a player back 1-2 metres around the halfway line, then a couple of plays later we can't stop their attack. Are we wasting energy in the wrong areas, then become too tired to do it where it matters? Open to criticism, just something I noticed.
Dunno about wasting time but I often see us not winning the wrestle... That makes it much harder to stop attacks which is what we see

What teams do we think we could realistically beat this year? I’m thinking dragons, raiders, dolphins, titans. Maybe cows? I feel we just lack that back line spark/game breaker to really challenge the better sides. Looking forward to seeing how Galvin goes this weekend though!

Latest posts

Back