TEAM LIST Trial 2 vs. Dragons

Team List
Some sense there - we are definitely moving off the bottom of the ladder in 2024. I think the improvements started last year but were hampered by our inability to put the pig skin over the lime line. Certainly leadership and coordination around the ruck improved significantly over the year.

Double digit wins will get us to about 12th - which is where I think we are developmentally as well. Some astute buys in the back row and potentially at centre and we should be a force in 25 - in the 8 for sure. Who knows - maybe we jag a couple of the close ones this year and do better than predicted - about time we had the bounce of the ball in the close games.

24 build the culture and develop the juniors
25 refine the execution
26 we should be really performing - and in the window for a shot at the title.
2026 is definitely the year of the title tilt. Luai will be in his second year, Api in the twilight and the youngsters really hitting their straps.

When Api took control of games, even from halfback, we looked far more competitive.

Our halves looked much more assertive in the trial and it looked like they had very clear roles to play.

No one doubts Apis ability around the ruck, so with him there and 2 halves that know what they are trying to achieve in each set, we should, in theory, put on more points and get more wins.

5/8 was just as much of a problem last year as halfback. Just having players that are more decisive in that area will help immensely.

Our forwards were largely competitive. I think if we can take advantage of our opportunities, we won't see so many fade outs in games. It must be so frustrating to do all that work, only for your halves to botch it every time.

This will tell us if 2024 will be a fizzer.
I expect our team to smash the dragons, with all the disruptions they have been having. Happy for Sullivan to pick his position in this trial.

This will tell us if 2024 will be a fizzer.
I expect our team to smash the dragons, with all the disruptions they have been having. Happy for Sullivan to pick his position in this trial.
I don't think there's any point hanging our hats on a trial performance. there are so many variables coming into it and there's no guarantee how long we will see our first choice side out there.

personally I wouldn't be surprised if we lose. Flanno and the Dragons need the press off their backs and might leave their first choice side out there for another 20 minutes. all I want is for our best 13 to build on what they produced last weekend and to remain in control, defend well and execute in attack.

whatever the score is at minute 80 I really could not care less providing the above comes to fruition. last year's preseason game against Canberra was evidence enough that you cannot predict your season based off a trial match.

I don't think there's any point hanging our hats on a trial performance. there are so many variables coming into it and there's no guarantee how long we will see our first choice side out there.

personally I wouldn't be surprised if we lose. Flanno and the Dragons need the press off their backs and might leave their first choice side out there for another 20 minutes. all I want is for our best 13 to build on what they produced last weekend and to remain in control, defend well and execute in attack.

whatever the score is at minute 80 I really could not care less providing the above comes to fruition. last year's preseason game against Canberra was evidence enough that you cannot predict your season based off a trial match.
The Dragons team has not got a lot wrong with it.
Similar to us they don’t have a lot of x-factor to have points come easily, but they have a big physical team all across the park and no team will easily out muscle them.
It will be a big test to see where we are at in regards to the yardage battle and a test to see if we can throw up something a little bit different in attack.

Reactions: 851
I'd really like to see Bud step up at 5/8 this weekend and take control or make the game his own .. he needs to run more with ball in hand to show us what he's got .. if he doesnt i can see Galvin stepping in .. he loves to run with the ball in hand and test out the defence line .. 😃

The Dragons team has not got a lot wrong with it.
Similar to us they don’t have a lot of x-factor to have points come easily, but they have a big physical team all across the park and no team will easily out muscle them.
It will be a big test to see where we are at in regards to the yardage battle and a test to see if we can throw up something a little bit different in attack.
our middles are far superior to theirs so I'd expect us to win the field position battle, but their back five are big bodies and will be a handful coming out of their own end, whereas ours aren't great at that. based on their Charity Shield performance I'd anticipate they're going to hang in for the bulk of the first half, if not longer.

again though, for us it is about building on those combos and the foundations we set last week and remaining in control. I couldn't care less what the scoreboard looks like at the end of the game, as long as we do that.

our middles are far superior to theirs so I'd expect us to win the field position battle, but their back five are big bodies and will be a handful coming out of their own end, whereas ours aren't great at that. based on their Charity Shield performance I'd anticipate they're going to hang in for the bulk of the first half, if not longer.

again though, for us it is about building on those combos and the foundations we set last week and remaining in control. I couldn't care less what the scoreboard looks like at the end of the game, as long as we do that.
I hope to see that our middles are far superior to theirs, but I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion ?
I watched a lot of the Dragons games last season and all 3 of Francis Molo, Blake Lawrie and Jack De Belin always carried the ball strongly, coupled with De Belins ability to play out the back and also their more than decent bench rotation, I think they have a more than capable forward pack.
The only weakness for the Dragons which is a big weakness and also our weakness is their lack of creativity and lack of class to take advantage of good field position.

Last edited:
I hope to see that our middles are far superior to theirs, but I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion ?
I watched a lot of the Dragons games last season and all 3 of Francis Molo, Blake Lawrie and Jack De Belin always carried the ball strongly, coupled with De Belins ability to play out the back and also their more than decent bench rotation, I think they have a more than capable forward pack.
The only weakness for the Dragons which is a big weakness and also our weakness is their lack of creativity and lack of class to take advantage of good field position.
I think Stefano and Klemmer are a class above Molo and Lawrie, but all four look improved under their new coaches based on what I've seen. De Belin definitely has the wood on Seyfarth I'll give you that, but Pole and Twal leave BMM and Fifita for dead. we also have a hooker that is far better at getting his forwards over the ad line in comparison to Liddle.

looking at the first half of that Charity Shield game they certainly can be proud of their efforts, but they we untested defending their line and struggled to create points. they did exceptionally well in the field position battle, but I do think we have the wood on them from a forward pack point of view.

Aidan Sezer and Jayden Sullivan as your starting halves ain’t making the 8. Next year we should be pushing for it though
I agree somewhat for this year, although a spine of Bula, Sullivan, Sezer and Api is above average. Throw in Olam, Tupou and our forwards who held their own last year... Who knows. I think 8th is certainly achievable but maybe a big ask coming off two spoons.

Reactions: 851
Although I expect them to play a boring style of play trying to maintain ball possession without doing anything too adventurous, tonight should be a small snippet on what each player will bring to the table individually this season.

I agree somewhat for this year, although a spine of Bula, Sullivan, Sezer and Api is above average. Throw in Olam, Tupou and our forwards who held their own last year... Who knows. I think 8th is certainly achievable but maybe a big ask coming off two spoons.
Forward pack with no injuries is definitely top 8. Klemmer and stef with twal and pole off the bench. Second rowers are internationals Pap and Bateman. Seyfarth went good at lock last week. The question mark is whether there are players to step up for injuries but if we keep this pack on the park we will be there in the 8.
Halves and backs should hold their own this season with good competition for spots , out of form players shouldn’t last long

1 - 7 is bottom 2 or 3 teams in the comp. 8 - 13 is maybe 6thish best? Don’t see us making the 8, hope in wrong. Should be trying to get out of the bottom 4 imo…

I’m nervous about tonight. I fear it’s going to be same old and concerning for the season but I really hope I’m wrong and that we can have some nice shape in attack and work cohesively in defence.

Our spine is completely unproven. Bula has had a few moments of brilliance but he hasn’t yet been properly tested defensively and has looked a bit suspect under the high ball. His involvement last week was also poor. Api is class for sure. Overall it’s a bottom 3 1-7 without a doubt

Wonder if it has been confirmed why Faataape isn't playing tonight? Hope it's just because of the stitches, would be a shame to see him dropped after his performance in the last trial. Personally I'd like to see him challenge for Toa's spot.

Members online

Back