LIVE GAME Trial 2 vs. Dragons

Live Game Discussion
Who is potentially available that would improve our outside backs and which current players could be offloaded without us having to contribute some of their wages for them ti play at a rival club ?
I’ve previously mentioned that I believe Bailey Simondson and Semi Valemai would both improve us in the outside backs. Many on this forum don’t rate either of them either.
Nick Meaney or Taylan May would be good targets for 24. For 25 Taago, Timoko, Mililani, Staggs, Cobbo. Not sure how realistic but there’s some talent coming off contract. Player market is tough sledding.

So true, the good teams have a no1 who can play make and a 13 who can ball play. We are flat in attack with very little shape or structure and lack flair. Iam not bagging Bula, but at this stage of his career he is only a runner, he is not a creator and you need a no1 who can do both. Anyway Iam sure he will get there, but at present he is a work in progress…and what other options do we have!
Tristan Sailor is already the full package and he’ll get splinters on his backside this season behind Reece Walsh.
Bevan French wants to return to Australia next season, he’ll be 29 by then, I think if someone wanted him now he’d do all he could to become homesick and try for an early release,
AJ Brimson will want out very soon if he’s continued to be wasted away as a centre.

Last edited:
No bias, no dislike it’s purely his style of fullback play is not working from an attacking point of view in conjunction with the style of play we are currently dishing up, which is the same style of attacking play we were dishing up late last season when we did not win a game.
So it’s either we demand our team take more risks in looking to offload much more often which would no doubt play to Bula’s strengths and bring him bit the game, or if this is not possible we would need to look at finding and playing a 13 or 1 who can assist with the playmaking to create opportunities for us to strip opposing teams for numbers, something I have not seen us do for a very long time.
So it’s not Bula’s fault at all, he’s a victim of the inability of our team as a whole.
We do not have a genuine NRL ready playmaking 13 option, why didn’t we sign Nathan Brown when we had the chance ?
The other option is the run harder and tackle harder than the opposition from player 1-17. We done that once against the Cowboys at Leichhardt and that turned out ok.
Our attack has been diabolical for a few years now. Iam not sure if they are been coached to play a very simple attacking structure because we don’t have any players capable of executing anything more complexed or they are just trying to have a high completion rate because their defence is so unreliable they can afford turnovers.

Early days and plenty of new players to gell into the team, but Our whole approach to attack needs a rethink

He won't be catching bombs in number 12. He did nothing wrong on Saturday and quite a few things right. Wait and see. You can rip into me in 6 weeks time if I'm wrong, I won't mind.
He can’t catch a pass on his chest?
Nothing wrong? 1x handling error, 1x ineffective tackle, 2x misses, and only 4x runs in 80 mins, is he having a lend? My dog shits more times than that on his morning walk and he’s not getting paid.
Seriously if I were gunna have rose coloured glasses for someone it wouldn’t be Flippers.
Still luv ya Benj. 😎 Benji coloured glasses.

You cannot have an entire forward pack who all look like they are running in gum boots, ideally you need at least a few of them with a bit of speed and athletic ability.
More often than not the ones with speed and athletic ability need a lot of fine tuning.
Flippers is rubbish and should be with Dohey and Simplekin as the top 3 on the roster that we need to upgrade to NRL players.

Flippers is rubbish and should be with Dohey and Simplekin as the top 3 on the roster that we need to upgrade to NRL players.
You might be right or wrong, but it is not resolving the issue of having a forward pack that is far too slow and boring for the modern game.
I can see Benji’s logic in trying to work with Kepaoa as he’s the only athlete we currently have in our forward pack.

So true, the good teams have a no1 who can play make and a 13 who can ball play. We are flat in attack with very little shape or structure and lack flair. Iam not bagging Bula, but at this stage of his career he is only a runner, he is not a creator and you need a no1 who can do both. Anyway Iam sure he will get there, but at present he is a work in progress…and what other options do we have!
I keep getting reminded of Pat Richards. Sure Hazem el Mazri and a few others could do stuff.
But Richards really made some incredible plays on the wing.

Everything seems to rotate around the team's spine in so many teams now. I just don't think we can beat them at that same game. Luai is not going to be a greater halfback then Nathan Cleary, Mitchell Moses, Jehrome Hugues, Nicho Hynes or Adam Reynolds. He is a good signing, but just not quite at their level.

I think it is a solid point, we are relying on the halves to make plays and the Centers/Wingers to recieve those plays.
Another solid point, we have 4 halves on the books in:
Sezer
Sullivan
Fainu
Galvin
(plus AD lurking).

Surely one of those above can cover as Center/14th man.

I think the loss is a blessing in disguise. This way we clearly know the basic things we need to focus on 100% of the time and not get overconfident.
I would like to see more attack and after seeing Galvin play, I would give him a shot with Sezer in the halves and maybe put Bud in 14 as cover.

I think the loss is a blessing in disguise. This way we clearly know the basic things we need to focus on 100% of the time and not get overconfident.
I would like to see more attack and after seeing Galvin play, I would give him a shot with Sezer in the halves and maybe put Bud in 14 as cover.
I agree with most of your post.

I still PMSL when people say Wests Tigers get overconfident or complacent. After being shit for nearly 100 dog years-surely you know you’re no good thing.

Dare I say it. I see a lot of Daine Gagai in Jareem Bula. If he remains primarily a running threat. He might end up being our marquee talent from right centre.

Hy guys
The only reason I’m not as concerned as others on the result in this trial is I don’t know how we have been training for our first comp game in round 2,
We could have been training a lot heavier last week getting the work into the players before our last hit out.
Now it could be time to freshen up and be ready to be at our best when needed for the our first competition game.
If you have played the game you should know preparation for game day is planned to have you fresh on the day.
So I will keep my judgment till after our first competition game.
Fingers crossed it not just wishful thinking’s on my behalf 😀

Dare I say it. I see a lot of Daine Gagai in Jareem Bula. If he remains primarily a running threat. He might end up being our marquee talent from right centre.
Agree... Large, IMO will cover fullback 2026

If that’s the case. Why isn’t he getting time there at the moment?
Bulla at centre... as we have no better fullback ATM.
Bulla to me, is a better version of Cobbo, both athletes "superior running game / vertical leap" though Bulla possess better awareness / instincts on what's happening around him. This is clearly shown by his defensive reads.
I like Bulla and he has come a long way in a short time, I just think Large has more strings to his bow at the back. Either way, the future is bright whoever wears the number 1 jersey in years to come.

Back