UFC & MMA Discussion

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385498) said:
@tigerboy said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385493) said:
@demps you mustn’t be that good at it then ... I’ve done BJJ and, as mentioned trained people’s kids in Judo. It’s not it’s own sport you literally just said it’s combining many different forms into a sport.

It’s my observation that it’s directly turning boxing into a joke and again - I’ve been in the cage cuzzy you don’t need flexing ?

How can I respond to this?
Idk what you're getting at....

You don't like MMA?
Okay chief, other things you can watch.

Ufc was my go to sport to watch last year in the pandemic , completely fell off it now tho lol

@tigerboy said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385495) said:
@jc99 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385278) said:
@tigerboy said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385268) said:
I just don’t understand that they can’t throw hands properly ... like one or two have technical training to execute the hand-to-hand shots except rarely ever do, also truly gifted boxers are never raised into MMA.

Despite its popularity and being cool amongst kids I don’t see more parents enrolling them into Judo.

Out in the car park gives you the same result — rather keep boxing as a sport altogether, than pay UFC a dime

Don’t youse see the money grubbing gronk in charge ?

Boxing is just one aspect of fighting it's not a real fight to me IMO. Still good to watch but MMA so much more interesting

I get that but rolling around and applying chokes never helped me in the street at a young age . It sends the wrong message

David wouldn’t have taken Goliath in a takedown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2COQCXHzALY

@tiger_fanatic3 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385541) said:
👑👑👑

![IMG_0295.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1623391138360-img_0295.jpg)

Haha where can I buy this shirt?

Guy just won by KO in 7 second.... crazy. Then blew his knee out celebrating 😂

![UFC_on_ESPN_25.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1624084470730-ufc_on_espn_25.jpg)

Nice free event for a rainy day tomorrow

🔥🔥🔥

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391582) said:

🔥🔥🔥

Pretty weak card though by the looks of it. Then again sometimes weak cards produce better matchups than the overhyped cards.

@fade-to-black said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391659) said:
@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391582) said:

???

Pretty weak card though by the looks of it. Then again sometimes weak cards produce better matchups than the overhyped cards.

Marlon Vera, Oleinik, Erosa...

Few performers on that main card man.

I just don’t understand that they can’t throw hands properly ... like one or two have technical training to execute the hand-to-hand shots except rarely ever do, also truly gifted boxers are never raised into MMA.

Despite its popularity and being cool amongst kids I don’t see more parents enrolling them into Judo.

Out in the car park gives you the same result — rather keep boxing as a sport altogether, than pay UFC a dime

Disagree with you and I think you have missed the point. I was brought up in Police Boys Clubs boxing and LOVED boxing but you need to understand that the UFC (and therefore successful MMA championships) was borne out of the Gracie family trying to prove that BJJ was the pre-eminent martial art. They even banned Rickson Gracie from competing in UFC 1 because he would have looked to imposing and used Royce Gracie (who won).

These days (different rules) you need to be a good striker but it is not a match for a good BJJ practitioner.

EDIT: Its ALL about distance. Yes its possible that a good boxer can hurt a fighter on the way in, but a good BJJ player will manage the distance and once they are inside, a boxer is finished.

@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391683) said:

Disagree with you and I think you have missed the point. I was brought up in Police Boys Clubs boxing and LOVED boxing but you need to understand that the UFC (and therefore successful MMA championships) was borne out of the Gracie family trying to prove that BJJ was the pre-eminent martial art. They even banned Rickson Gracie from competing in UFC 1 because he would have looked to imposing and used Royce Gracie (who won).

These days (different rules) you need to be a good striker but it is not a match for a good BJJ practitioner.

EDIT: Its ALL about distance. Yes its possible that a good boxer can hurt a fighter on the way in, but a good BJJ player will manage the distance and once they are inside, a boxer is finished.

Disagree. Most of the current UFC Champions utilize their boxing/striking much moreso than wrestling/BJJ. Look at Yan, Volkanovski, Usman, Adesanya, Blacowicz, Ngannou.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but it all depends on the fighter in terms of striking not being a match for BJJ.

E.g. Israel Adesanya the current middleweight champion is of a kickboxing background and has beaten everyone in his weight division despite not being elite on the ground.

BUT I 10000% agree in that all current champions (even the ones of a striking background) are at least a 6 or 7/10 in either traditional wrestling or BJJ and if you’re not capable in those areas you’ll undoubtedly fail when coming up against a elite practitioner in those disciplines.

@kingrobbie said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391685) said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said but it all depends on the fighter in terms of striking not being a match for BJJ.

E.g. Israel Adesanya the current middleweight champion is of a kickboxing background and has beaten everyone in his weight division despite not being elite on the ground.

BUT I 10000% agree in that all current champions (even the ones of a striking background) are at least a 6 or 7/10 in either traditional wrestling or BJJ and if you’re not capable in those areas you’ll undoubtedly fail when coming up against a elite practitioner in those disciplines.

You''ll have a lot of success with great kickboxing/striking and good takedown defence. Aka Robert Whittaker, even Conor McGregor etc

@theraptor456 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391684) said:

Disagree. Most of the current UFC Champions utilize their boxing/striking much moreso than wrestling/BJJ. Look at Yan, Volkanovski, Usman, Adesanya, Blacowicz, Ngannou.

You’re right but Usman is an elite wrestler, Blachowicz is a BJJ black belt, Ngannou had to improve his wrestling before he became champion… just shows that if you don’t have those skills in your arsenal (even if you don’t have to use them as often as striking) you won’t be as successful.

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385277) said:

https://youtu.be/p8YVAmBQXNk

I used to hate MMA, basically because I was trained in boxing as a kid and loved boxing growing up and saw MMA/UFC as mere brutality. Once I started training BJJ it all made sense.

Striking is a weapon but its only one weapon and the beauty of MMA is that if yo uget past that, that weapon can be unarmed. Khabib is unlikely to be knocked out and is unlikely to knock someone out (nearly did with McGregor)

The most successful champions (IMO)

Gsp and Khabib.
Favour wrestling and ground strikes.

But what's that makes the sport so interesting.

The better fighter can win from anywhere.

We all saw Moreno win his belt last week with a submission and their first fight was a stand up battle.

Amazing.

@theraptor456 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391686) said:
@kingrobbie said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391685) said:

You''ll have a lot of success with great kickboxing/striking and good takedown defence. Aka Robert Whittaker, even Conor McGregor etc

Yeah but once again, Whittaker is a BJJ black belt and if he wasn’t fighters would be more inclined to take him to the ground and fight there.

The fact he has it in his arsenal even if he doesn’t use it as much as his striking.

@demps you mustn’t be that good at it then ... I’ve done BJJ and, as mentioned trained people’s kids in Judo. It’s not it’s own sport you literally just said it’s combining many different forms into a sport.

It’s my observation that it’s directly turning boxing into a joke and again - I’ve been in the cage cuzzy you don’t need flexing 🤥

Are you seriously saying BJJ isnt its own sport?

It was literally created by one man (maybe two) and grew from there. Literally has its own tournaments and championships.

@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391693) said:

It’s my observation that it’s directly turning boxing into a joke and again - I’ve been in the cage cuzzy you don’t need flexing ?

Are you seriously saying BJJ isnt its own sport?

It was literally created by one man (maybe two) and grew from there. Literally has its own tournaments and championships.

And the current BJJ goat isn't Brazilian.
Shoutout my man GORDON RYAN.

I reckon Rob can do it over Izzy this time. Will be a cracker. What are our predictions for Poirier McGregor III?

All good strikers, undeniably. Are they good on the ground?

Go back and watch UFC 1, 2, 3, then watch the latest UFC and tell me BJJ isnt the most critical art.

Latest posts

Members online

Back