UFC & MMA Discussion

@theraptor456 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391696) said:
I reckon Rob can do it over Izzy this time. Will be a cracker. What are our predictions for Poirier McGregor III?

Both could go either way imo.

Head says Izzy tho unfortunately.

@kingrobbie said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391685) said:
@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391683) said:
@tigerboy said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385268) said:
I just don’t understand that they can’t throw hands properly ... like one or two have technical training to execute the hand-to-hand shots except rarely ever do, also truly gifted boxers are never raised into MMA.

Despite its popularity and being cool amongst kids I don’t see more parents enrolling them into Judo.

Out in the car park gives you the same result — rather keep boxing as a sport altogether, than pay UFC a dime

Don’t youse see the money grubbing gronk in charge ?

Disagree with you and I think you have missed the point. I was brought up in Police Boys Clubs boxing and LOVED boxing but you need to understand that the UFC (and therefore successful MMA championships) was borne out of the Gracie family trying to prove that BJJ was the pre-eminent martial art. They even banned Rickson Gracie from competing in UFC 1 because he would have looked to imposing and used Royce Gracie (who won).

These days (different rules) you need to be a good striker but it is not a match for a good BJJ practitioner.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but it all depends on the fighter in terms of striking not being a match for BJJ.

E.g. Israel Adesanya the current middleweight champion is of a kickboxing background and has beaten everyone in his weight division despite not being elite on the ground.

BUT I 10000% agree in that all current champions (even the ones of a striking background) are at least a 6 or 7/10 in either traditional wrestling or BJJ and if you’re not capable in those areas you’ll undoubtedly fail when coming up against a elite practitioner in those disciplines.

Exactly.

As I said earlier, go back and watch the early UFC's and compare to now. BJJ is critical. Even the good strikers need to be blue belt in BJJ effectively.

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391689) said:
@theraptor456 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391684) said:
I just don’t understand that they can’t throw hands properly ... like one or two have technical training to execute the hand-to-hand shots except rarely ever do, also truly gifted boxers are never raised into MMA.

Despite its popularity and being cool amongst kids I don’t see more parents enrolling them into Judo.

Out in the car park gives you the same result — rather keep boxing as a sport altogether, than pay UFC a dime

Disagree with you and I think you have missed the point. I was brought up in Police Boys Clubs boxing and LOVED boxing but you need to understand that the UFC (and therefore successful MMA championships) was borne out of the Gracie family trying to prove that BJJ was the pre-eminent martial art. They even banned Rickson Gracie from competing in UFC 1 because he would have looked to imposing and used Royce Gracie (who won).

These days (different rules) you need to be a good striker but it is not a match for a good BJJ practitioner.

EDIT: Its ALL about distance. Yes its possible that a good boxer can hurt a fighter on the way in, but a good BJJ player will manage the distance and once they are inside, a boxer is finished.

Disagree. Most of the current UFC Champions utilize their boxing/striking much moreso than wrestling/BJJ. Look at Yan, Volkanovski, Usman, Adesanya, Blacowicz, Ngannou.

The most successful champions (IMO)

Gsp and Khabib.
Favour wrestling and ground strikes.

But what's that makes the sport so interesting.

The better fighter can win from anywhere.

We all saw Moreno win his belt last week with a submission and their first fight was a stand up battle.

Amazing.

GSP part of Danaher Death Squad like Gordon Ryan. One of the greats

@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391701) said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said but it all depends on the fighter in terms of striking not being a match for BJJ.

E.g. Israel Adesanya the current middleweight champion is of a kickboxing background and has beaten everyone in his weight division despite not being elite on the ground.

BUT I 10000% agree in that all current champions (even the ones of a striking background) are at least a 6 or 7/10 in either traditional wrestling or BJJ and if you’re not capable in those areas you’ll undoubtedly fail when coming up against a elite practitioner in those disciplines.

Exactly.

As I said earlier, go back and watch the early UFC's and compare to now. BJJ is critical. Even the good strikers need to be blue belt in BJJ effectively.

Its true but things have evolved from those early days a lot. Look at Demian Maia and to a lesser extent Jacare and how insane their BJJ is, but just couldn't match it with the best because their striking just wasn't good enough either. Gotta be very well rounded these days to be the champ or close to the champ.

I reckon Rob can do it over Izzy this time. Will be a cracker. What are our predictions for Poirier McGregor III?

McGregor is washed man.
I can't see him beating any one in the lightweight top 5.

Poirier puts him down again and hopefully Conrad retires man, a deadset embarrassment to the sport with an absolutely horrible fan base. 😂

@theraptor456 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391707) said:
@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391701) said:

Exactly.

Its true but things have evolved from those early days a lot. Look at Demian Maia and to a lesser extent Jacare and how insane their BJJ is, but just couldn't match it with the best because their striking just wasn't good enough either. Gotta be very well rounded these days to be the champ or close to the champ.

Agreed you have to be rounded to make it. Even more accurately you need to be able to take a hit. Khabib wasnt necessarily a BJJ devotee, but he didnt get hit. There is a lot more to BJJ than just grappling, a great practitioner will not get hit as much. Its an issue within BJJ with reagrds to points fighting, submission fighting, gi, no gi etc.

Go back and look at Rickson Gracie challenge fights and Vale Tudo. He would have dominated UFC.

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391695) said:
@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391693) said:
@tigerboy said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385493) said:
@demps you mustn’t be that good at it then ... I’ve done BJJ and, as mentioned trained people’s kids in Judo. It’s not it’s own sport you literally just said it’s combining many different forms into a sport.

It’s my observation that it’s directly turning boxing into a joke and again - I’ve been in the cage cuzzy you don’t need flexing ?

Are you seriously saying BJJ isnt its own sport?

It was literally created by one man (maybe two) and grew from there. Literally has its own tournaments and championships.

And the current BJJ goat isn't Brazilian.
Shoutout my man GORDON RYAN.

Gordon is possibly the GOAT BJJ player (mine is still Rickson). Would love to see him in MMA like Rickson did. Gordon is unbeatable in BJJ. Want to see him test himself in MMA.

@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391712) said:
@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391695) said:
@tiger5150 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391693) said:
@tigerboy said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1385493) said:
@demps you mustn’t be that good at it then ... I’ve done BJJ and, as mentioned trained people’s kids in Judo. It’s not it’s own sport you literally just said it’s combining many different forms into a sport.

It’s my observation that it’s directly turning boxing into a joke and again - I’ve been in the cage cuzzy you don’t need flexing ?

Are you seriously saying BJJ isnt its own sport?

It was literally created by one man (maybe two) and grew from there. Literally has its own tournaments and championships.

And the current BJJ goat isn't Brazilian.
Shoutout my man GORDON RYAN.

Gordon is possibly the GOAT BJJ player (mine is still Rickson). Would love to see him in MMA like Rickson did. Gordon is unbeatable in BJJ. Want to see him test himself in MMA.

He's got some health issues atm...
Might not be much going on, going forward for him eh.

Hopefully he can work it out tho.

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393605) said:
Getting through this card fast.
Loving the first round KOs.

MMA Rugby League

Best part is that in most fights I don't have a side I can just watch as a neutral and enjoy. Been finish after finish today, I missed the prelims though will have to go back and watch them later

@jc99 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393613) said:
@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393605) said:
Getting through this card fast.
Loving the first round KOs.

MMA Rugby League

Best part is that in most fights I don't have a side I can just watch as a neutral and enjoy. Been finish after finish today, I missed the prelims though will have to go back and watch them later

I agree man.
Best when it's neutral.

I like Zombie and Vera though.
Easy Sunday morning.
After that heart breaking Saturday night.

@jayt said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393616) said:
I usually go for non Americans lol.

Team Russia babyyy
Dagestan wooo

![images (74).jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1624147703552-images-74.jpeg)

I only really get nervous for the Aussie guys like Whittaker and Volkanovski

@jc99 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393743) said:

Understandable.

I use to get nervous for Khabib.
I was able to follow his UFC career since his first fight and he became a favourite.

No one could come close though.
Too good.

I know the feels tho.

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393744) said:
@jc99 said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1393743) said:

Understandable.

I use to get nervous for Khabib.
I was able to follow his UFC career since his first fight and he became a favourite.

No one could come close though.
Too good.

I know the feels tho.

Khabib just miles ahead of everyone lol

![UFC_Fight_Night_190_poster.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1624664379827-ufc_fight_night_190_poster.jpg)

Nice free event on ESPN to get you through the day before ORIGIN.

🔴 VS 🔵

* tomorrow.

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1398092) said:
![UFC_Fight_Night_190_poster.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1624664379827-ufc_fight_night_190_poster.jpg)

Nice free event on ESPN to get you through the day before ORIGIN.

🔴 VS 🔵

* tomorrow.

2 good guys as well who don't carry on like absolute knobheads. I like that in a fighter. That main event will be a good one👍

@demps said in [UFC: Discussion](/post/1391708) said:

McGregor is washed man.
I can't see him beating any one in the lightweight top 5.

Poirier puts him down again and hopefully Conrad retires man, a deadset embarrassment to the sport with an absolutely horrible fan base. ?

Issue with the Irish bro ??

Latest posts

Back