Use Daniela off bench in a Ben Barba role

everett

If Sheens continues to persist with a back on the bench I feel Daniela with his speed and footwork would be a better option that Fitzhenry. Daniela could play a role like Ben Barba for the Doggies and run at tired forwards and dart out of dummy half to make valuable metres. Also would allow Farrar to play wider of the ruck to mix things up.

What are other fourm fans thoughts

As CB said i dont see daniela getting a run ahead of fitzhenry unless there are injuries. Fitz is a safer utility than daniela as he can play 1 - 7/9/13 where as daniela can only play centre/wing and possibly fullback.

Daniela is gunna repalce Benji…like Barba does with Green...

Yeah has merit...

Daniella submits to easily on scoots from DH for mine and never seems comfortable in and around the rucks which is what you really need from a bench utility back if you choose to play one.

Fitzhenry is down on top line speed but still has great acceleration and is comfortable in the middle third of the field and doing a bit of hard work to relieve forward pressure and release Farah to the backline.

Sunday was the first time I truly understood the use of Fitzy in that position

Fitzy's speed and footwork looked ok to me last Sunday

@Chris said:

Yeah it wasn't bad, he almost got reeled in by Bronson at the end but his acceleration at the start was the key. He'll be named this arvo without doubt, but at least he's deserving of selection on the bench at the moment.

Did you blink when he made his 15m burst up the guts of the ruck to get us on the front foot prior to the Ryan try Innk…

have to agree with chris, fitzy offered enough coming off the bench to close the match up. And his ability to cover positions is a bonus. It would be awesome having daniela out there but i dont see it happening at the moment which sucks.

hope the injuries aren't too bad for the stgeorge game, they all seemed fairly superficial so i hope they recover well.

@innsaneink said:
@Chris said:

You mustve missed our last set of six where he was dominated and pushed back five metres.

he also had two hands on the ball and was more interested in ball security than making yards at that time, smart play if you ask me.

While Fitzy is playing the way he is, I'm happy for him to be there over Daniela. Daniela played well against the Knights and had a blinder against the Warriors, but he was dominated a little by the Dogs and made a fundamental errors.

10 rounds ago, I'd have had Daniela over Fitzy. That said, Fitzy is playing better every week than the one previous, and while he continues to do this I'd rather him in the squad because he has more experience in more positions.

@Geo. said:
Did you blink when he made his 15m burst up the guts of the ruck to get us on the front foot prior to the Ryan try Innk…

No mate, I didnt miss it, then again Im not like a star struck teen oblivious to his recurring flaws like many seem to be.
But this sint about Fitzy….its about daniella, back on topic and shame on you

@scarcev said:
@innsaneink said:
@Chris said:

You mustve missed our last set of six where he was dominated and pushed back five metres.

he also had two hands on the ball and was more interested in ball security than making yards at that time, smart play if you ask me.

LOL….yet only a few minutes earlier he did just that, made yards and held the ball....they arent mutually exclusive you know :laughing:

Ooops OT :blush:

Daniella was the unlucky one.
I would've preferred to see Daniella stay in the centres with Ayshford as the 17.
Regardless, Fitzy probably offers more than Daniella as the back on the bench.
If Sheens uses him with 10-15 to go like he did on Sunday, then I'm happy as opposed to the 3 minute to go token stint.
In saying all of that, what Fitz gave us on Sunday was in my opinion, well overdue.

Really, I thought the bomb he took against Newcastle with big Ben Cross steaming down on him was first rate.

He has given us good value for a long time, however some on this site seem to have agenda's against him. I don't know that he should start, but he gives us plenty of zip of the bench and should hold his spot IMO.

Back