Wayne bennett

Nucky_Thompson

In his book don't die with the music in you. He comments on big offers to young players as follows:

Context is a 20 year year player in the 90s who received a huge offer and Bennett did not provide a counter offer and let him go.

I just felt if he stayed at our club he would be staying for the wrong reasons.
\
\
I also believe that at such a young age he should be worrying about where he's going instead of arriving somewhere, and if he's going to go to the highest bidder now, he most definitely going to go there a few years down the track anyway.

who?

FTR, my favourite quote is the story of "to the line" in relation to those players who run the full distance and those who stroll over the line the last 5 meters.

Bennett has turned a few blokes who I never thought would make it at NRL level into SOO players and National players

Willie Carne , Kerrod Walters and Steve Renouf were a few that stand out from my days

Work ethic will always pay off in the end , talent doesn't mean a great deal if you don't have the mental toughness to go along with it

Probably helped that Steve Nance was in their corner

@Tiger Watto said:
who?

FTR, my favourite quote is the story of "to the line" in relation to those players who run the full distance and those who stroll over the line the last 5 meters.

I was about to have a nap but after reading this, reckon I'll go out for a jog instead.

Thanks Watto & uncle Wayne

Getting to the end of the book , he talked a bit of mentors and mention the Canberra days but not once as yet mentioned Tim Sheen's. Wasn't Sheen's his head coach in Canberra? Thought a bit odd no mention of Sheen's can anyone comment on the relationship between Bennett and Sheen's?

@Nucky Thompson said:
Getting to the end of the book , he talked a bit of mentors and mention the Canberra days but not once as yet mentioned Tim Sheen's. Wasn't Sheen's his head coach in Canberra? Thought a bit odd no mention of Sheen's can anyone comment on the relationship between Bennett and Sheen's?

I'm not sure if he worked with Sheens at Canberra, but Wayne & Frank Stanton had a strong relationship.

If Paul Morgan wasnt such a stubborn rich old fart, Sheens run at Canberra may never had happened?

[just checked - Sheens was Coach at Penrith until Bennett left Canberra]

@Tiger Watto said:
@Nucky Thompson said:

I'm not sure if he worked with Sheens at Canberra, but Wayne & Frank Stanton had a strong relationship.

If Paul Morgan wasnt such a stubborn rich old fart, Sheens run at Canberra may never had happened?

He co coached with Don Furner at Canberra , Donny did all the pressos for some unknown reason :laughing:

@happy tiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:
@Nucky Thompson said:

He co coached with Don Furner at Canberra , Donny did all the pressos for some unknown reason :laughing:

yep, your right… Stanton was the manly joker

Enjoy your once in a lifetime experience Happy!

Looks like Bennett was their earlier than Sheen's and credits furner and himself for the raiders success in that era.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/inside-canberras-coaching-dynasty-20120914-25xzm.html
\
\
So Bennett has been coaching longer than Sheen's I gather. Thought other way around.

@Nucky Thompson said:
Looks like Bennett was their earlier than Sheen's and credits furner and himself for the raiders success in that era.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/inside-canberras-coaching-dynasty-20120914-25xzm.html
\
\
So Bennett has been coaching longer than Sheen's I gather. Thought other way around.

Bennett coached the Police Academy side in Under 18's v my Uncle's Easts side in 1978 in the BRL

@Tiger Watto said:
@happy tiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:
@Nucky Thompson said:

Last time you were right was 1991 , when Easts last won a premiership

Wests haven't been in the comp for 20 years now and still have won a comp after Easts have :laughing:

OWNED :smiley:

@happy tiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:

Wests haven't been in the comp for 20 years now and still have won a comp after Easts have :laughing:

If someone from Wests had enough brains to hold a sausage sizzle, they would be still in the comp!

:deadhorse:

@Tiger Watto said:
@happy tiger said:
@Tiger Watto said:

If someone from Wests had enough brains to hold a sausage sizzle, they would be still in the comp!

:deadhorse:

Brisbane Wests last premiership 1993

Brisbane Easts last premiership 1991

Brisbane Wests folded 1997

Brisbane Easts have been choking since 1908 on their sausage sizzles :roll

Least we know when to die with dignity

Back